Charlotte spends $70,000 For New Motto

monsoon

I don't see why you would have to pay money to come up with a slogan in the first place. I could have sit down on a salary for half that and came up with something better. Also, can't you just have students in English Majors at some of the colleges come up with something then vote on it for free. Stupid, absolutely stupid. Could have bought the homeless Ruth Chris's for a week for that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I just watched FOX Charlotte's news clip about it. http://www.myfoxcharlotte.com/myfox/pages/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

I have to admit, the graphical use of the slogan is actually pretty nice - the slogan "Charlotte's got a lot" seems more like the title of an ad campaign, but that specific phrase isn't actually used. I'd be interested in seeing it in print to get a better look at it.

It would also be fair to point out that $70000 goes to more than just the phrase. It goes toward a whole ad graphic design system.

I think that you can't pay anyone for a slogan that people embrace, and you'll always end up with something like that if you try to. Las Vegas's slogan is memorable because people already said that kind of thing and its understood what it stands for. Nationally, people don't know what Charlotte is about and as this thread illustrates, Charlotteans don't really know what its about either. Until Charlotte develops an identity there won't be a cool catch phrase for this city.

Charlotte, like most new sunbelt cities is such a polyglot of people from all over. We have a little bit of this and a little bit of that but not enough to have an identity. What I read and hear most from new Charlotteans is a description of Charlotte as a blank canvas or a child. Young and open to whatever you want it to be if you have the drive to achieve your dream. I don't get that feeling from this slogan.

• 6 months later...

Seeing it in print for myself...and for the rest of the world to see it is just embarrassing.

I travel pretty much non-stop to other cities in the nation and always try to research where I'm staying, where I'll eat, where I'll drink, etc through the internet. This is seriously one of the cheesiest slogans that I've seen on a website for any city I've been to. And if I'd seen this on any other city's "official" website, I wouldn't be impressed. Even a smaller city like Madison, WI has "Lake...City...Lake" as their slogan, because it is exactly what it is and I think that's cool. But the new Charlotte slogan is like the "Oklahoma is OK" crap. Did they have the same marketing company come up with this one?

I would rather something to do with "The New South" or "Bank Town" than "Charlotte's got a lot." I feel like we have fourth graders promoting the city.

Well cheesy slogan aside the visitcharlotte website is one of the worst out there, especially when you consider that it was just recently revamped. The website really should move on to the new generation style like the one for Montreal that right off the bat gives you a video of "Montreal in 2 Minutes"...they could very easily do the same thing for Charlotte. But no, we are left we videos that would fit right in for corporate training back in the 90s that are just as corny as the "A Lot" slogan. People are looking for real things these days and the visitcharlotte portrays the city in a way that everything is contrived and fake. We can do better. Visit Charlotte could do a lot better. If anyone on here is from VisitCharlotte....go look at http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/ to see how its done right.

Well cheesy slogan aside the visitcharlotte website is one of the worst out there, especially when you consider that it was just recently revamped. The website really should move on to the new generation style like the one for Montreal that right off the bat gives you a video of "Montreal in 2 Minutes"...they could very easily do the same thing for Charlotte. But no, we are left we videos that would fit right in for corporate training back in the 90s that are just as corny as the "A Lot" slogan. People are looking for real things these days and the visitcharlotte portrays the city in a way that everything is contrived and fake. We can do better. Visit Charlotte could do a lot better. If anyone on here is from VisitCharlotte....go look at http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/ to see how its done right.

Archived