Actress rags on city

TheGerbil

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06279/727843-53.stm

Sienna Miller, in town filming "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" insulted the city quite harshly in an interview for Rolling Stone.

Judging by the above article it sounds like she has spent most of her time on set and in her hotel. Not sure how she could possibly get any impression of the city, so I can only assume she's displaying an uninformed elitist attitude (she is from NYC for what its worth). I find it obnoxious and entirely uncalled for.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief, just what we needed, and article that lists all the recent insults to our city and points out that a handful of people made death threats as a result of one. I can't say that that article paints a very good picture of the city or the residents. In many ways that sort of thing angers me more than the insults themselves. I don't especially want everyone to know how much our city gets insulted, because some people will assume it is deserved. And I don't want our anger about it to be national news.

On the other hand I am glad she apologized, even though it sounds like a backpedal to me.

(And I guess she is not from NYC as I said before; I must have misread something).

Good grief, just what we needed, and article that lists all the recent insults to our city and points out that a handful of people made death threats as a result of one. I can't say that that article paints a very good picture of the city or the residents. In many ways that sort of thing angers me more than the insults themselves. I don't especially want everyone to know how much our city gets insulted, because some people will assume it is deserved. And I don't want our anger about it to be national news.

Agreed completely. This is very embarrassing.

It sure is. and thanks to some pathetic piece of #$%^ actress.

Seriously, she could have a great time a city half the size of Pittsburgh, if she would get her head out of her spoiled clueless a s s. We don't need her fake patronizing "apology" either. What a classless idiot.

Another reason I left L.A. I wish the mayor didn't pay attention to this. But sometimes negative press is good press especially if it is perceived that "celebreties" are even in Pittsburgh. I think the best thing we could do is have a night time soap opera that is set in Pittsburgh. Has anyone else noticed that the cities that had soaps and movies set in them all have boomed? I think this is because we are so spoon fed by the media to believe that what they say is true. So why not have some fictitious competing wealthy families in Pittsburgh gracing the tube. Just an idea.

This is why it is critical to have movies in Pittsburgh. It helps on many levels... first level is local film jobs. I have always felt that this should be taken more seriously.

1) CMU or Pitt perhaps, should have a film school. Yes CMU is well known for its drama dept and the actors that have come from it, but we need a high profile film school. Pittsburgh filmmakers is nice, but it can't do what the city needs.

2) local production facilities, including post production - to establish an anchor and incentive for a relatively on going film production business and industry

3) whether local or not, films that star the city. This is a key for image. Notice that the image of New York (which doesn't even need the reinforcement) is always the background for young professionals in the typical hollywood romantic comedies - much more so than LA because they want an urban setting. You can't show witty chatter walking along downtown LA streets because it just doesn't fit the urban image (talking on a cell phone in a convertable maybe).

We need even one top notch film where people are often outside downtown and the city would shine.

The Wonder Boys was a good movie, but not widely seen and worst of all, showed off very, very little of obvious Pittsburgh beauty, It was decent at getting the character, but in a small scale way.

This is why spending money on slogans is misguided. If there's a good one, a really good one, fine, but so far, not so much. Ever if there were one, image as we know, says more than words.

Allegedly, she has now thrown a tantrum on the South Side because she wasn't allowed to drink in a bar without ID.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06284/728938-53.stm

If this is true, then it says a lot about her maturity level, which certainly explains why she said what she did about the city. i can't imagine this incident will improve her opinion of Pittsburgh :lol:

But at least she was getting out and checking out the city.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived