Holiday ice rink coming to Festival Plaza

dimebag1980

I'm excited about this... I've wondered for years why a temporary ice rink isn't set up somewhere in downtown Shreveport during the holiday season. Marshall, Texas, has a really nice, weeks-long holiday celebration in their downtown area with a nice ice skating rink. Finally Shreveport has decided to get in on this... I'm very pleased! Looks like it will be set up under the new, large pavilion that was constructed in Festival Plaza earlier this year. It will cost $8 for two hours of skating, and the money will go to help fund future Red River Revel events.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61006009

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited about this... I've wondered for years why a temporary ice rink isn't set up somewhere in downtown Shreveport during the holiday season. Marshall, Texas, has a really nice, weeks-long holiday celebration in their downtown area with a nice ice skating rink. Finally Shreveport has decided to get in on this... I'm very pleased! Looks like it will be set up under the new, large pavilion that was constructed in Festival Plaza earlier this year. It will cost $8 for two hours of skating, and the money will go to help fund future Red River Revel events.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61006009

That's a great idea! We have that here in downtown LA at Pershing Square... I try to go every year. It's fun and a great way to bring families to the urban core.

That's a great idea! We have that here in downtown LA at Pershing Square... I try to go every year. It's fun and a great way to bring families to the urban core.

Exactly! Sounds like an excellent idea... hopefully it will be a success and they'll do it every year. It would be a great asset to downtown and the city in general, as well as the Red River Revel and the Festival Plaza.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the ice rink is being well-utilized by the public. I hope it's a resounding success.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/611190319

If it IS a success, I have an idea:

If nothing is ever going to become of the hotel site down on the Boardwalk, right across from the carousel, there couldn't be a more perfect place for a permanent ice rink.

Looks like the ice rink is being well-utilized by the public. I hope it's a resounding success.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/611190319

If it IS a success, I have an idea:

If nothing is ever going to become of the hotel site down on the Boardwalk, right across from the carousel, there couldn't be a more perfect place for a permanent ice rink.

Well, New Orleans does have some nice suburbs but I don't think Shreveport or Bossier City would complain if you moved back! :lol:

You probably also wished for a zoo, and we now have two decent petting zoos. Still no "real" zoo, but these petting zoos are nice anyway. One is located off Sligo Road not far from Lake Bistineau (not far from my home,) and the other is located just steps from the state line between Greenwood and Waskom. Both are worth checking out, and the one near Greenwood also houses a nice alligator farm!

Oh yeah, and I'm also glad to see the ice rink! It's very nice, and seems to be a hit so far!! :)

• 1 month later...

Well, this past weekend was the end of ICE, the first annual holiday ice skating event held in downtown Shreveport's Festival Plaza. According to every report I've read regarding ICE, and judging by the huge crowds I've personally witnessed down there, I'd say it was a major success!

• 10 months later...

Archived