Van Andel Arena Expansion?

blueradon

• 3 months later...

I wonder why they did not build the arena to full capacity at first with the south section supposed to be expandable? In a few more years if there is ever talk of a pro franchise this place will be too small and too expensive to expand as well as being "old' for pro teams. The minor corridor expansion could definitely help traffic flow though.

I wonder why they did not build the arena to full capacity at first with the south section supposed to be expandable? In a few more years if there is ever talk of a pro franchise this place will be too small and too expensive to expand as well as being "old' for pro teams. The minor corridor expansion could definitely help traffic flow though.

I think this has been talked about before here. They didn't have the money to build the South end when it was built, and the estimates to expand it are now in the $50 Million range. Anyone corroborate that?

Wow, that was fast. It does look good, works well with the existing building. Even better, you won't feel like your stuck in a choke hold when trying to move around that side of the Arena.

As for the South end, I've heard the same thing as everyone else. They probably should have pulled the trigger when they first built the arena. It's unfortunate, as I see the most likely pro franchise for GR as an NHL (or less likely, NBA) team, but that would be a tough sell (even if it were an option) as the arena is too small for either.

It's too bad Arena Football failed. It seemed like a good concept. :dontknow:

Joe

This is scheduled to be open this weekend already. I think it looks pretty cool from the outside.

• 1 year later...

I like how the concourse extension is mirrored in this expansion. Also, I recall this being speculated here in the mid-2000s due to it being designed to allow for an expansion like this, but was assumed that the cost of doing so had risen to the point it would no longer be feasible. Glad to see that assumption may not have actually been the case. I wonder what any landscaping may done (also a mirror of the other side?) around the expanded area since it looks like there will be a major SW entrance added.

They can't do a complete mirror image of the north end. They still have to have loading docks and such someplace on the south end. I don't think they can get the monster trucks in though the front door.

Edited by Gorath

Hmm. I wonder what kind of cost is associated with that? That seems like the dream type scenario to add a 900 car garage and south end expansion. Seems like a huge cost endeavor to me, but quite exciting with everything that is developing around the arena (apartments) and south of division. It almost seems like you can feel the end of the Great Recession finally!

how many seats would the expansion add. they only need a few hundred to be in the running to host a NCAA tournament regional site.

I spoke to someone a SMG a few years ago and they said about 2,000 seats. The biggest issue to hosting NCAA basketball tournament games is the lack of direct flights to Ford Airport.

I spoke to someone a SMG a few years ago and they said about 2,000 seats. The biggest issue to hosting NCAA basketball tournament games is the lack of direct flights to Ford Airport.

Yes, because Spokane, WA and Dayton, OH have so many direct flights. I think there is just a lot of competition and the West Michigan Sports Commission will just need to put together a compelling application again and we'll have a decent shot.

From the above link, the Convention and Arena Authority has a $22 million surplus. Now I see where this talk by the KCCAA for arena expansion is coming from. This expansion is sounding even more like a bad idea now.

But if they can land a couple years of NCAA basketball tournament games then it makes some sense.

Edited by Gorath

• 2 years later...