Van Andel Arena Expansion?

blueradon

• 2 months later...

Don't know why exactly it was in this thread but back in May 2019 there were some posts about the Detroit Pistons buying their own G league team and having it play at Wayne State in Detroit and what then would happen to the GR Drive.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:54 AM, SupercityGR said:

I go to a lot of Drive games. I would be upset if they moved. Drive have one of the highest attendances in the G leauge while the Pistons have one of the lowest in the nba 

On 5/1/2019 at 9:35 PM, 54equalsunity said:

And then this...

"We have no plans on relocating to Detroit."

https://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/2019/05/grand-rapids-drive-we-have-no-plans-on-relocating-to-detroit.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Today in the Detroit Free Press is an article stating they've done it,  the Pistons have bought the Northern Arizona Suns,  a G league team, and will be moving it to Detroit to play at Wayne State.  The article speculates about what will happen to the Drive:

freep: detroit-pistons-grand-rapids-drive-g-league-whats-next

21 hours ago, walker said:

Don't know why exactly it was in this thread but back in May 2019 there were some posts about the Detroit Pistons buying their own G league team and having it play at Wayne State in Detroit and what then would happen to the GR Drive.

Today in the Detroit Free Press is an article stating they've done it,  the Pistons have bought the Northern Arizona Suns,  a G league team, and will be moving it to Detroit to play at Wayne State.  The article speculates about what will happen to the Drive:

freep: detroit-pistons-grand-rapids-drive-g-league-whats-next

giphy.gif

Detroit only fills a small fraction of its seats for an NBA team. Why would they think Detroit area people would show up to a G League team?

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GRLaker said:

giphy.gif

Detroit only fills a small fraction of its seats for an NBA team. Why would they think Detroit area people would show up to a G League team?

If they say attendance is important to them, then they're not being truthful.  It seems theyre after consolidation of their staff around their entire portfolio of talent and GR is too far away for their needs.  Whoever they want in their front office can go back and forth from G-league  games to the Pistons from day-to-day and hour-to-hour.  It seems to be about that convenience for them as much or more than anything.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To me, the renovation is a little underwhelming right now. I’m hoping as the landscaping matures it really starts to take shape. 

I think one of the most disappointing aspects of the redesign is that they didn’t redo all of the ugly vinyl security signs around the entrance. I thought they’d take the opportunity to give this a more refined, permanent look. 

Joe

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

To me, the renovation is a little underwhelming right now. I’m hoping as the landscaping matures it really starts to take shape. 

I think one of the most disappointing aspects of the redesign is that they didn’t redo all of the ugly vinyl security signs around the entrance. I thought they’d take the opportunity to give this a more refined, permanent look. 

Joe

I agree. I'm also not really sure why they chose the already weathered/rusted metal look either

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. I don't even get how it's better than what was there? Rusty metal was definitely the wrong material choice IMO. 

The dated 90's sign, prominently displayed in the front of the area was a relic. I'd say this is a more contemporary look, even if the material choices are suspect.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

Weren't there supposed to be more trees planted along the queue route, and vehicle barriers along the street?  I wonder if those are still coming.

Now that you mention it I'm surprised there isn't more "hardening" to prevent a vehicle from getting close / penetrating into the lobby area. Not a  very security conscious design.

16 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Now that you mention it I'm surprised there isn't more "hardening" to prevent a vehicle from getting close / penetrating into the lobby area. Not a  very security conscious design.

The concept drawings described the "plaza berm" as a vehicle barrier, which from the photos above doesn't look like it offers much protection.  But the illustrations also show  tree planters lining the curb on Fulton Street, which would help if they put those in.  A couple more concrete bollards in between them would be better.

• Like 1

The design is totally underwhelming Some street trees planted in pieces of corrugated metal culvert pipe. Widely spaced out and  culvert pipe is butt ugly.  There's nothing to stop a vehicle from going between them and driving up a the few steps right up to and into the building lobby. I hate to mention Memphis but............ Where did they find these "design folks and who even looked at them from the Arena / City review?