Van Andel Arena Expansion?

blueradon

I feel like this trend of moving minor league teams to the major markets is about creating a "junior team" that can be more easily integrated into the big league team (practice together, share facilities, etc). So it's all about improving the team, at the expense of making money (because no one's going to the junior team games). 

Minor league basketball has always been iffy from a commercial standpoint (maybe because of college basketball). It has historically been much less solid than minor league hockey or baseball. So NBA teams deciding to forgo having a true minor league in favor of having a "JV" team makes some sense. 

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

I feel like this trend of moving minor league teams to the major markets is about creating a "junior team" that can be more easily integrated into the big league team (practice together, share facilities, etc). So it's all about improving the team, at the expense of making money (because no one's going to the junior team games). 

Minor league basketball has always been iffy from a commercial standpoint (maybe because of college basketball). It has historically been much less solid than minor league hockey or baseball. So NBA teams deciding to forgo having a true minor league in favor of having a "JV" team makes some sense. 

Compare/contrast minor league baseball with college baseball vs. minor league basketball and college basketball.  Dramatically different paradigms aren't they?

9 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

Compare/contrast minor league baseball with college baseball vs. minor league basketball and college basketball.  Dramatically different paradigms aren't they?

I agree, but people keep trying to make minor league basketball a thing. Van Andel Arena played a starring role in the collapse of the CBA when they locked the Hoops out of the arena and they had to play a game at Godwin Heights High School. 

• Like 1

I don’t like the trend either. I felt like the league was going pretty well and then this JV movement happened. I feel the league as a whole has taken a step back. It really takes away a sense of pride for a community but also forgoes allowing up and coming markets a chance to prove there is good support for a team. Without the Griffins there is no way the NHL would look our way, with them we have a minuscule chance. It also leaves a lot of money on the table for the apex team, if they have a share of ownership, in terms of merchandise and ticket sales. But it does save a considerable amount on travel and allows the apex team a much closer eye on player development. I can see why teams do it, but I heartily disagree with it. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Cool! I see they found a solution for the dumpsters with the series of "service enclosures." Smell might still be an issue.

The conceptual building on Oakes probably is a longshot, right? The arena's loading docks still need access (although I guess that could come from Ottawa in this drawing?)

A future project for Van Andel might be burying the loading docks underground, like they are at Little Caesar's Arena. 

39 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

The conceptual building on Oakes probably is a longshot, right? The arena's loading docks still need access (although I guess that could come from Ottawa in this drawing?)

A future project for Van Andel might be burying the loading docks underground, like they are at Little Caesar's Arena. 

I would guess that the internal alignment of the arena with a below-grade dock would create some issues.  You would conceivably off-load a show on a floor below the arena floor that way and I'd think that very problematic...

29 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

I would guess that the internal alignment of the arena with a below-grade dock would create some issues.  You would conceivably off-load a show on a floor below the arena floor that way and I'd think that very problematic...

That's true. It may not be something that can be retrofitted. 

I think LCA's floor is below grade, which makes the underground loading docks possible. 

On 8/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, cstonesparty said:

I wonder if the building Khorasaurus was noting in this pic is maybe a take on the ramp/liner building that was once envisioned for that lot behind the arena.

In the audio of the meeting Mayor Bliss asked if there was any potential development for the area behind the arena.  Someone, I do not remember who, responded that there "was talk" but nothing far enough along to merit public disclosure.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, cstonesparty said:

The conceptual building on Oakes probably is a longshot, right?

It feels to me like there is plenty of room for a logistics alley plus a liner building.  We have added quite a few narrow buildings recently.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, Khorasaurus1 said:

Cool! I see they found a solution for the dumpsters with the series of "service enclosures." Smell might still be an issue.

The DDA should set up a trash removal system to remove the trash and garbage ASAP so there is no visual or odor. Could be a simple as a person pulling a cart to dump away from folks to as complicated as a mechanical conveyor to a trash compactor off site.  A row of loaded dumpsters would be a definite turn off for me. I can find more pleasant places to spend my money and time.

And those culvert pipe planters just scream "cheap"

Edited by Raildude's dad