Van Andel Arena Expansion?

blueradon

the more I think about it, and how many concerts I have been to in GR where the upper bowl seats were dead empty...I don't think a full expansion of the arena would be a good idea. I honestly thought the seating was big enough...but I think that south side could use some work, especially with maybe adding some restaurants, bars, and such...it would give a lovely view from the s curve if it was like the front of the arena.

I think if we do happen to get any sort of major league team...then a new arena should be built...but the question with that would be...where would it go?

I don't think chicago or detroit has any effect on our position to have a major sports team...and we could give one of the two some good rivalry teams like michigan and msu

ok thanks grdad. yeah, maybe they should finish that off with some brick or something.

I would think a semi-transparent glass wall would be cool, and could be done for much less than $20 Million. :lol:

They did mention in the article that the arena was going to get a new restaurant/sports bar and new concessions. I wonder where they would put the restaurant? We went on a tour of the whole arena at the open house Saturday, which was very interesting.

The color's not right, but a similar look as the front, but it wouldn't have to go to the ground since that's all service area:

264140542_f00f12e8a5_o.jpg

the more I think about it, and how many concerts I have been to in GR where the upper bowl seats were dead empty...I don't think a full expansion of the arena would be a good idea. I honestly thought the seating was big enough...but I think that south side could use some work, especially with maybe adding some restaurants, bars, and such...it would give a lovely view from the s curve if it was like the front of the arena.

I think if we do happen to get any sort of major league team...then a new arena should be built...but the question with that would be...where would it go?

I don't think chicago or detroit has any effect on our position to have a major sports team...and we could give one of the two some good rivalry teams like michigan and msu

When it comes to concerts the seats that would be added in an expansion couldnt be used anyways since they would be behind the stage. The added seats would only be good for things in the center like hockey, basketball, arena football, and boxing. It is a perfect shaped venue for concerts in that respect plus it is smaller so all the seats are good, where as if you get into the palace in the top back of the upper bowl you might as well just go buy the bands CD.

From another article:

Inside the arena, plans are in the works to convert a meeting room into a sports bar that will be open to ticket holders and non-ticketholders on event nights.

So now we know where it's going

sounds like they're going to be turning some of those large meeting areas into useable space. This is great, because Devos Place, and the new JW were going to saturate the market anyway. Plus GR could use another Sports Bar :lol:

I heard it would cost $60 mill to ad 3k of seats to the VAN. The construction of the arena cost $75 mill. So I'm growing more incline to supporting the CAA tossing around the Idea of a 15,000 seat ampitheater to go into Millenium park. ( Link to it's UP thread ) That will only cost $20 mill and would be more profitable than adding seats to the Arena anyway.

• 2 years later...

Plans are heating up to expand Van Andel Arena in the NW corner of the concourse area, to help relieve congestion during packed events. I've witnessed many times how awful that corner is when the arena is busy (feels like a soccer game trampling waiting to happen). :unsure:

The one option proposes expanding it to the point where it would be visible from the outside, bumping out the NW corner along the Fulton St side, and adding a food court in that area. The other option doesn't effect the exterior curtain wall. Preferences? Should the current facade be "preserved"?

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...WZZM%20News.htm

I like the option that juts out. It seems like in the process of doing this expansion, they could get a little inventive and add a mezzanine level bar.

I agree. That northwest corner is a nightmare and I have personally been thwarted at getting food/drinks because of the congestion. Seems like a great idea.

Joe

• 6 months later...

Kind of OT: What ever happened to the LED ribbon between the lower and upper bowls, that was mentioned in the press a while back. That would be a good addition too. You could still have all the ads loop and then do cool graphics for sporting events, some concerts also use them. Like TSO, this year brought the stage videos onto the ribbon.

I think just about all of those designs look good, but yea, the glass ones especially. I like the way the more modern glass looks in contrast with all of the older brick buildings around VA.

Are there ever any college sporting events there? I've never really heard of any but then again i've never paid much attention. Being a MSU hoops/hockey fan, I think it would be cool to be able to see them play a pre-season game there or maybe something, a weekend tourney of MI tems (western, ferris, um). I know the b-ball team played once at Ford Field and the Joe gets a lot of college hockey action, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to fit in a game at some point throughout the season.

I'm with Sean in thinking that a lot of the glass box versions look like they have just been tacked on with very little relation to existing design features. I actually like option F best because despite introducing a new design element with the rounded glass enclosure, the brick extension and similarity to the glass block walls in the restrooms ties it all together for me. Runner up options would be A1, A2, and C in that order.

Personally, I think all of the options are a little blah. I think they could do something more interesting. I don't know if the addition needs to try and mimic the original design. Sometimes I think the harder people try to NOT make it look like an addition, the more it screams out at you like it's a poorly designed addition.

Joe

• 1 month later...