Van Andel Arena Expansion?

blueradon

• 1 month later...

On 4/22/2019 at 8:54 AM, HavingAhoot said:

It has been getting quite rusty... I wish they would just  complete the arena bowl while they are at it. 

There appears to be some type of work going on on top of the arena,  sorry for the bad grainy phone pic.

48019112867_ccef0ce4e9_z.jpg

Van Andel Arena outdoor plaza enhancements coming. Much needed. I always thought it was designed weird. And they plan to make improvements to the alley as well to connect to Studio Park better. 

https://www.grbj.com/articles/93572-arena-property-enhancements-in-planning-stage

I wish the BJ would upgrade their website to have larger and more imagery. Sheesh. 

The renderings look nice.   The lots to the south and east are still listed as "future development".  It looks like there will be a "cafe" on the Fulton side.  I've always wondered why no one has thought to put a full service restaurant on the Fulton side with all that space.  They could offer early entry into the arena or food discounts with presentation of a ticket for that evening's event.

Also, it looks like the dumpsters are going to be put in "service enclosures"?  I don't think that will do much for the stink on a hot summer.  If they could get all of the business' on board, a large compactor completely enclosed would be much more ideal, plus that would give the business room for outdoor seating.

24 minutes ago, Prankster said:

Not sure the importance of the traffic barriers in front. In all it’s existence, I have never heard of someone jumping the curb and mowing down concertgoers. Is that a real threat?

It's a pretty standard anti-terrorism measure now for arenas & stadiums & such.

Edited by RegalTDP

10 minutes ago, egrguy said:

Im sure its an error, but did they list a second Courtyard by Marriot in the "Initial Conditions" slide?

They did, on a very, very tiny lot.

I like the whole design, it could be very interesting. And I'm still imagining a great night market in the alley. I wonder if it will be a good place for food trucks?

Edited by tSlater

It looks like an interesting concept (and much better than what’s there now). I like all of the added green space. One thing I didn’t see in the concepts was a video screen/sign. Maybe that is still TBD, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t have some sort of signage announcing acts, etc. 

Joe

• Like 1

Ionia Square will be really cool if/when the "Tall House" site gets developed. It will be a little pocket park/cut-through to the arena from Ionia. 

Presently, it's just kid of landscaping in a parking lot. And these designs will improve it, but it won't really reach its potential until development is constructed next to it. 

• Like 1

No one seems to make fountains anymore.

I wonder if it's due to legionella risk?

https://legionellacontrol.com/guidance/fountains-water-features-legionnaires-disease/

Spectrum Health got rid of all it's decorative fountains. There used to be a huge one in Lemmen Holten Cancer Pavilion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22227989

I wonder what will come of the fountain by the Stairs in the new Embassy suites on Monroe. Very splashy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

I wonder if it's due to legionella risk?

https://legionellacontrol.com/guidance/fountains-water-features-legionnaires-disease/

Spectrum Health got rid of all it's decorative fountains. There used to be a huge one in Lemmen Holten Cancer Pavilion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22227989

A fountain, especially among immunocompromised patients, is always a bad idea. I can see how a fountain can be a liability. Heard somewhere that many malls removed fountains because of children drowning in them.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 4:02 AM, WMrapids said:

A fountain, especially among immunocompromised patients, is always a bad idea. I can see how a fountain can be a liability. Heard somewhere that many malls removed fountains because of children drowning in them.

The fountains are the #1 thing I miss about the old Woodland ;_;

I used to see people (I'm assuming not from this country) at the electronic music festival in Detroit filling their water bottles from the fountain in Hart Plaza.   Eeek.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

They're in the bidding phase of the Van Andel Arena Plaza Reconstruction. Has anyone seen the final plans? 

https://downtowngr.org/announcements/2019/12/dgri-seeks-bids-for-van-andel-arena-plaza-reconstruction

Joe

from the 'advertisement for bid:'
A. Online Procurement and Contracting Documents: Obtain access after 12/10/2019, by contacting Mark Miller or Casey Elmer. Online access will be provided to all registered bidders and suppliers.
B. Viewing Procurement and Contracting Documents: Examine after 12/10/2019, at the locations below:
1. Hard copies of the contract documents may be examined at the Owner’s office: 29 Pearl Street NW, Suite 1, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503 during the hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday

Seems like a FOIA for those docs would be something GR Press, MIBIZ and others should have been on...

• Like 1