Tallahassee City Guide

humzai

I've lived in Tallahasse for two years now and even now there are a lot of eateries, shops, and neighboorhoods I've yet to see if I've even heard of them. When I got here I found it strange that there weren't any good city guides online and the ones that were available were merely lists if that with bairly any info. I thought it would be a good idea to start a comprehensive city guide one that not only lists what is available but has picture and perhaps eventually detailed information such as reviews, menus etc. I plan on getting a nice dslr soon and thought it would be nice to start such a project. We could first have the city guide available for forum members to help populate it then perhaps edit and have it available to all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping the members could suggest places to go check out and I would do the footwork, take pictures, eat if I had to, ask some questions.

Thanks for the response I've been wating the last few days and no had even said good or bad idea and I was wondering why.

Not yet I'm not sure what the plan is presently but I think we are going to build a house as I could have exactly what I want and probably better and it would cost the same.

Well I don't know the town all that well and I need help on where to go and what to do. I'm going to start actually doing this in about a month when I get my new camera as I want to have really good photos for the thing.

Maybe start w/local restaurants as opposed to chains since chains benefit from better advertising and name recognition from here and other places.

Might I suggest either grouping them by restaurant type: Asian, Italian etc. etc. Or group them by areas of town like: Killearn, Southwood, Midtown, Downtown etc. etc.

I'll be happy to tell you about many places, just ask me some specifics. However I must warn you, I'm a pretty tough critic. I like my food good with an excellent presentation on the plate and a good and knowledgeable waitperson. I'm also into the decor and music/ambiance.

I do however expect different things in those categories based on the restaurants such as I'd score a $20 a plate restaurant much differently than I'd do a fast-food place.

Again happy to help.

I did a City Profile, and I still have it here on my computer from the early days of the forum. It looked a little something like this... is this any where near the ball park? It never went up because I wasn't happy with it and I couldn't make links of it. lol. But here's a sample.

Banner2.jpg

Map.jpg

FactsandFigures.jpg

PhysicalCharacteristics.jpg

CityHistory.jpg

Transportation1.jpg

CollegesandUniversities.jpg

Sports1.jpg

Media1.jpg

Radio.jpg

A bit different I mean it as a tour book/ resident guide with detailed info on restaraunts, services, shopping, and neighboorhoods. It won't include info on the stuff everyone is aware of like the mallsor chain restraunts except to acknowledge they exist and perhaps location hours and a photo. I want it to mostly feature places that are either hidden or holes in the wall or something you wouldn't be aware of without being told where it was.

Not that I was aware of. On my last road trip North, I noticed TU was moving into Macon, GA w/a big billboard to announce it. It would not surprise me that Troy is moving some classes here for locals. Their website says they are in 11 countries, 17 States & have 60 campuses. I think they want to be the next Phoenix College.

Check out their webpage link below. Look over to the far right at all their national and international campuses. They've even got a Florida region, but Tally isn't on the list of cities so our place must be new???

Troy University

Not that I was aware of. On my last road trip North, I noticed TU was moving into Macon, GA w/a big billboard to announce it. It would not surprise me that Troy is moving some classes here for locals. Their website says they are in 11 countries, 17 States & have 60 campuses. I think they want to be the next Phoenix College.

Check out their webpage link below. Look over to the far right at all their national and international campuses. They've even got a Florida region, but Tally isn't on the list of cities so our place must be new???

Troy University

I remember seeing it years ago so either I'm mistaken or maybe it just didn't work out here. I don't know.

Perhaps you could check out the new Southwood town center and eat at the cafe/bistro it has. I drove by it last Saturday and it looks very nice architecturally. I suggest you take a look.

Yea, Hustons is good, except for the crappy help it hires! :shades:

Has anyone seen Glenn or PMcClain? I know Glenn is out helping our next Governor, but havent seen PMcClain in a while!?!

I planned on doing places exactly like the Southwood town center first or places that I regularily frequent. Perhaps I should forgoe the comfort of the known to try and document that which is unknown to me for the sake of this project. Nevertheless I won't be doing much besides planning this for at least a few weeks as it is the middle of Ramadan and I haven't been eating out much and my schedule is all messed up.

Has anyone seen Glenn or PMcClain? I know Glenn is out helping our next Governor, but havent seen PMcClain in a while!?!

And always I thought Glenn was a good guy. :D While you maybe right GG, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I was going to say I see PMcLane lurking and reading here from time to time, but now that I look down, he's here now. Good to see you man, miss your posting.

I thought Ramadan always fell around November/December? How does it work if you don't mind telling...the scheduling of it I mean.

I wish when I worked there that more Urban Planet people would have let me know who they were. I think Glenn was the only person who regularly spoke.

YEa, I only saw you there once. And I wasnt completely sure it was you, since the only visual at the time was the pic of yourself you psoted from an airport in Minnesota I think!

Archived