Major Shopping Center possible for Daniel Island

vicupstate

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, none of South Carolina's Big 3 has reached that level where Nordstrom would desire to scout for a location in the region. In reality, barely any of the Southern cities have that type of substability for a Nordstrom. I agree Nordstrom is becoming very overrated. The sustainability of the Nordstrom locations in such markets like Raleigh/Durham, Norfolk, Richmond, and Charlotte is yet to be seen.

Unfortunately, none of South Carolina's Big 3 has reached that level where Nordstrom would desire to scout for a location in the region. In reality, barely any of the Southern cities have that type of substability for a Nordstrom. I agree Nordstrom is becoming very overrated. The sustainability of the Nordstrom locations in such markets like Raleigh/Durham, Norfolk, Richmond, and Charlotte is yet to be seen.

^ That it is. However, to improve Citadel Mall's standing, the mall must consider Nordstroms to replace it. You don't necessarily need a similar store to Parisian...landing a store like Nordstrom would create more buzz and interest in shopping there. Not to mention the new Best Buy across the street from the mall.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The parking should be BEHIND the buildings--in the center. (Why is this such a difficult concept for developers to comprehend?? Mt. Pleasant is doing it beautifully.) Pull the buildings to the street with plate-glass display windows to get the attention of passers-by. Make the new sidewalks connect to the rest of Daniel Island's sidewalks and bike paths. Put head-in or parallel parking along the street. Etc., etc. There are a number of things that can be done to make this more of a true city center.

I thought D.I. already had this as a "covenant" sort of thing for commercial development? . . . i.e., that new commercial development had to fit in with the design of the rest of it? Department stores or any other mercantile businesses should be REQUIRED to build in the commercial center of D.I. that has already begun to take shape. Just as in older towns, the stores should be DOWNTOWN--not in a sprawling shopping center reminiscent of Anywhere, U.S.A.

After all the trouble the City of Charleston has expended to make this suburban island more like a traditional town, and market it this way (remember the billboards?), it would be ruinous if they let this "sea of asphalt" happen without MAJOR revisions, IMO.

Neiman-Marcus and Nordstrom? Bring them on--just put them in line with the rest of "downtown" D.I. (or just put them where they truly belong--on Upper King!)

Archived