Frisco Depot Condos

strmchsr77

Another large scale project has been announced for Dickson street. This project has been talked about for the past couple of years in various forms, but it looks like they have settled on a design for it finally. The area in question is on the corner of Dickson and West, near the old train station that has recently been remodeled.

They are wanting to put a staggered 9 story building on the site. The building will be 4 levels at the street but then would rise to the 9 story height towards the back. There are plans for about 200 condos and some commercial space on the 1.2 acre site.

They have architect Rob Sharp doing the project. He designed the Legacy and Reniassance buildings. So his plans usually go over well with the city and tend to fit in well in the Dickson street area. The big problem that I see is going to be with height again. As I have said before I think the height limit is just about the worst idea I can imagion for a growing downtown area. The developers seem to be doing everything they can to get this to pass but I still think that there will be alot of problems.

Here is more information from the Times: Frisco Depot Project

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another large scale project has been announced for Dickson street. This project has been talked about for the past couple of years in various forms, but it looks like they have settled on a design for it finally. The area in question is on the corner of Dickson and West, near the old train station that has recently been remodeled.

They are wanting to put a staggered 9 story building on the site. The building will be 4 levels at the street but then would rise to the 9 story height towards the back. There are plans for about 200 condos and some commercial space on the 1.2 acre site.

They have architect Rob Sharp doing the project. He designed the Legacy and Reniassance buildings. So his plans usually go over well with the city and tend to fit in well in the Dickson street area. The big problem that I see is going to be with height again. As I have said before I think the height limit is just about the worst idea I can imagion for a growing downtown area. The developers seem to be doing everything they can to get this to pass but I still think that there will be alot of problems.

Here is more information from the Times: Frisco Depot Project

Sounds like an interesting project. But yeah I can see the height being a problem. I think it being right next to the Old Railroad Station isn't going to help it's cause either. While the Old Railroad Station isn't quite the icon that Old Main of the Old Courthouse is, it's still a building that stands out. Having a tall development right next door to it will get some people against it. I'm curious to see some renderings at some point. I've said this before but I still have to wonder if there's enough demand for all these condos developments on Dickson. There's already been some questions asked and so many of these developments haven't even really started.

Sounds like an interesting project. But yeah I can see the height being a problem. I think it being right next to the Old Railroad Station isn't going to help it's cause either. While the Old Railroad Station isn't quite the icon that Old Main of the Old Courthouse is, it's still a building that stands out. Having a tall development right next door to it will get some people against it. I'm curious to see some renderings at some point. I've said this before but I still have to wonder if there's enough demand for all these condos developments on Dickson. There's already been some questions asked and so many of these developments haven't even really started.

That is the "main corner" on Dickson street. I think that that area needs as much infill as possible. There are too many paking lots right there. I also don't know how many condos one area can support but if they can somehow make them under 150-200K, they will sell. Especially since the university is wanting to increase the enrollment by another 5000 or so over the next 4 years.

That is the "main corner" on Dickson street. I think that that area needs as much infill as possible. There are too many paking lots right there. I also don't know how many condos one area can support but if they can somehow make them under 150-200K, they will sell. Especially since the university is wanting to increase the enrollment by another 5000 or so over the next 4 years.

I do agree I'd like to see more there than a lot of parking lots. Now they stated this proposed development would wrap around the Old Train Station. But I'm also wondering about the 'train bank' as well. Do they actually own that parcell of land? Is it possible the bank might be moved or are they talking about just wrapping around the train as well?

Right on. This is right off Dickson, so it may have trouble passing at 9 floors. Nice find, I had no idea about this project.

Right on. This is right off Dickson, so it may have trouble passing at 9 floors. Nice find, I had no idea about this project.

There's been a lot of talk about developing this parcel of land for a while. But nothing has ever really come about. Although this development might be a long way from coming about. I really think there's going to be a lot of oppostition on this development. Then as I mentioned earlier, there's still the question of if there's stuill enough demand for so many condo developments on Dickson.

There's been a lot of talk about developing this parcel of land for a while. But nothing has ever really come about. Although this development might be a long way from coming about. I really think there's going to be a lot of oppostition on this development. Then as I mentioned earlier, there's still the question of if there's stuill enough demand for so many condo developments on Dickson.

One thing that may help pass this project is that it is right at the bottom of Dickson. 9 stories there will not do as much to distract from the views as say the Underwood Lofts or even the buliding at Mr. Tux. And the question about demand, there may not be a need for this now, but with Dickson coming together unlike any other area of NWA there will be. I could see people leaving Dallas wishing to live on Dickson unlike North Fayetteville or Pinnacle. This kind of development really shows an area coming together.

Anyways, I sure will be at these meetings. This is the MAIN corner of NWA, hands down. This is where such a building is needed.

Anyways, I sure will be at these meetings. This is the MAIN corner of NWA, hands down. This is where such a building is needed.

Good point about the intersection. It would be great to have some other development at that intersection with the Walton Arts Center catacorner from it.

So what about the Bank of Fayetteville? Were they bought out of their location then?

I am not sure that it even includes the bank's lot. The building will be taking up 1.2 acres of a 1.57 acre space. The article mentioned removing a building back behind the Depot, but never said anything about the bank. So I would have to guess that it will not be moved at this point.

Here's a couple of shots of the lot. I should have taken a few from the West Ave side but that will have to wait till another time. You can see the Old Railroad Station to the left and in one of the pics you can see the 'railroad bank' to the left.

frisco01wc5.jpg

frisco02if2.jpg

This is pretty cool to hear. It has been a while since we've had any major building announcement. The more there are the more likely we'll actually see one of them being built maybe. Any votes on what doesn't get built?

I've wondered about that too. I hate to keep harping on this but I'm really wondering about the Renaissance. I think this one was announced well before any other of these projects we've discussed on here and there's still nothing that I can tell going on there. The Lofts at Underwood Plaza have also been taking a while, but it seems like they've at least done things like release new renderings and such. I just wonder if it's a matter of who gets cold feet or who builds theirs first. So far aside from the Barber Group no one else around the Dickson St area seems to be in a very big rush. I'm almost wondering if everyone is waiting to see how well it does when it's finished before they seriously start construction or what. Granted I guess we ( and me in particular) aren't being patient enough.

This will be great if it's ever completed. Dickson will feel so urban. You'll have Legacy Building (6 Floors), the Dickson (6 Floors), St. Charles Plaza (6 Floors), Divinity Condos & Hotel (13 Floors I believe), this 9 Floor Building, and all of the bars, stores, and other venues on Dickson. I can't wait for this to be completed.

BTW, I see that they took down the giant Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream thing on the old train depot.

Also, Mith I was wondering how you created that frame around your photos. I've been meaning to try that out, so no one steals my photos for other sites or for sale.

This will be great if it's ever completed. Dickson will feel so urban. You'll have Legacy Building (6 Floors), the Dickson (6 Floors), St. Charles Plaza (6 Floors), Divinity Condos & Hotel (13 Floors I believe), this 9 Floor Building, and all of the bars, stores, and other venues on Dickson. I can't wait for this to be completed.

BTW, I see that they took down the giant Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream thing on the old train depot.

Also, Mith I was wondering how you created that frame around your photos. I've been meaning to try that out, so no one steals my photos for other sites or for sale.

It would be nice if all of those are built but I'm not sure if all of them will be able to. Just not sure if there's going to be enough demand for all of them but I do hope so. I'll PM you about the frame.

I've wondered about that too. I hate to keep harping on this but I'm really wondering about the Renaissance. I think this one was announced well before any other of these projects we've discussed on here and there's still nothing that I can tell going on there. The Lofts at Underwood Plaza have also been taking a while, but it seems like they've at least done things like release new renderings and such. I just wonder if it's a matter of who gets cold feet or who builds theirs first. So far aside from the Barber Group no one else around the Dickson St area seems to be in a very big rush. I'm almost wondering if everyone is waiting to see how well it does when it's finished before they seriously start construction or what. Granted I guess we ( and me in particular) aren't being patient enough.

I agree, Mith. On the same line as my first thought, I guess the more buildings planned, the least likely they'll all be built. The one I'd like to have the most is the Renaissance. It looked like the sure thing since the city was backing it. Now I'm not so sure either.

I do hope the Frisco or one of these do have a lower price range, although I'm sure they don't want college students buying one and trashing it. I think the condo builders must be adamant about pricing out any unwanted riff-raff.

They say they'll start building all those places around beginning of 2007. That has always seemed too far away, but I think we'll be lucky to see some start before 2008.

Same here, I hope it is soon.

About a month ago I noticed work being done on the Renaissance location. It appears they are excavating more earth from the northeast corner where the courthouse was torn down. I'll take a drive past it and see if they are still "doing something" at the site. I think these guys have some pretty strong commitments to making this hotel happen. And they now own the entire block so I doubt they will let the project die.

I guess I didn't realize, but the area right by the Frisco Depot is going to be incredibly dense. With the 9 Floor Frisco Depot Condos, 6 Floor Dickson, the 9 Floor Lofts at Underwood Plaza, and the Walton Arts Center, it certainly will be one of the most urban, if not most urban intersection in NWA.

I guess I didn't realize, but the area right by the Frisco Depot is going to be incredibly dense. With the 9 Floor Frisco Depot Condos, 6 Floor Dickson, the 9 Floor Lofts at Underwood Plaza, and the Walton Arts Center, it certainly will be one of the most urban, if not most urban intersection in NWA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived