Alpine Meijer To Get New Face

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is GREAT news. We just moved to the NW side from the NE side and we were VERY disaapointed when we went to the Alpine Meijer... compared to the Knapp's Crossings Meijer, its not even close! It took us like an hour and a half to find the things we needed. It would've only taken us maybe 30 minutes at the other meijer... and we had to constantly avoid others in the aisles because everything was so cramped in there!

Ha! :lol: I knew this was going to happen given the fact that the Jenisen Meijer just off of Chicago Dr. was just renovated. That store looked and acted just like the Alpine location as it was built around the same time frame. It's a very nice store now. :rofl: ...and to think of all the nay sayers where moaning and growning "The Alpine Store sucks and wil never be remodeled. It is doomed to be a ghetto meijer for ever more." I knew Meijer was not going to take the pending Wally-World supercenter upgrade just up the street laying down. The Alpine store was ethier going to be renovated or replaced outright. What suprises me though is the increase of the store's size. Growing from its current 209,000 sq ft to 224,000 square ft. will make the Alpine Meijer one of the biggest stores in their chain. Just to give an idea of how big that is, visit the 225,000 sq ft. Knapp Corner Meijer on the East Beltline. That store is huge!

So way to go Meijer! Run Wally World outta town on a rail road!

Ha! :lol: I knew this was going to happen given the fact that the Jenisen Meijer just off of Chicago Dr. was just renovated. That store looked and acted just like the Alpine location as it was built around the same time frame. It's a very nice store now. :rofl: ...and to think of all the nay sayers where moaning and growning "The Alpine Store sucks and wil never be remodeled. It is doomed to be a ghetto meijer for ever more." I knew Meijer was not going to take the pending Wally-World supercenter upgrade just up the street laying down. The Alpine store was ethier going to be renovated or replaced outright. What suprises me though is the increase of the store's size. Growing from its current 209,000 sq ft to 224,000 square ft. will make the Alpine Meijer one of the biggest stores in their chain. Just to give an idea of how big that is, visit the 225,000 sq ft. Knapp Corner Meijer on the East Beltline. That store is huge!

So way to go Meijer! Run Wally World outta town on a rail road!

im surprised too consiering the new Wally supercenter was going to be smaller then the current Alpine Meijer.

im surprised too consiering the new Wally supercenter was going to be smaller then the current Alpine Meijer.

Meijer probably waited until Walmart had there plans set so Meijer go make there's a little bigger.

I agree with everyone else though. I've never liked that Meijer because it has the worst layout. I've only found one person ever that likes it. It's nice to see also that people her call it Meijer and not Meijer's. :thumbsup:

Meijer probably waited until Walmart had there plans set so Meijer go make there's a little bigger.

I agree with everyone else though. I've never liked that Meijer because it has the worst layout. I've only found one person ever that likes it. It's nice to see also that people her call it Meijer and not Meijer's. :thumbsup:

We type "Meijer"

We say "Meijer's"

:P

Here's two quick Sketchup Files of a before and predicted after of the Alpine Meijer remodel. This is based on how the Jenison Meijer Renovation turned out.

Before:

post-11190-1160348467_thumb.jpg

After:

post-11190-1160348540_thumb.jpg

A 50' x 425', 20,000 sq ft addition will be attached to the south side of the building which will contain a new Pharmacy with its drive thru, the indoor portions of the garden center as well as seasonals, toy dept., and E4. Extending further to the south is the 26,000 sq, ft outdoor part of the garden center which I'm guessing will look like the one added to the Jenison store. As mentioned in the posted article, the old garden center will be demolished to make way for more parking. On the east side of the building a new retail entrence will be built to replace the two south facing entries sealed off by the addition. The retail entry will most likely be built next to the existing south stairwell, leading up to the balcony. The grocery entrence will be moved southward into the space left vacant by the closure of the shoe repair shop to line up with the concourse between the grocery dept. and the clothing dept. Of course the inside of the building will take on the look and feel of Meijer's new stores. However other than the addition and relocation of the entries and a fresh paint job, I'm expecting the Alpine store to look much as it does now complete with its Dutch style facades adorning the entries and the red colored pedestrian porch running the length of the building.

For a good preview of what I expect will happen to the Alpine Store, visit the Jenison store off of Chicago Dr.

post-11190-1160348467_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1160348540_thumb.jpg

Is that the old K-Mart?

'Sho nuff is! And you get a blue light special for remembering that!

Actually, Fred deconstructed the K-Mart and built from scratch. Interestingly, the Meijer abuts the next retailer (shoes??) at an angle. Next time I swing through the 313/248, I'll shoot that.

Here's the year-old store at Tel-12 in Southfield.

tel12meijer.jpg

It looks like the one just south of Ionia. It replaced the previous and very run down Meijer store that was there before. The last time I was there, the new store's parking lot was packed while the Wal-Mart supercenter only a few thousand feet away only had about a third of its parking lot filled. I hope to see the same results for the Alpine Meijer once it gets renovated.

As for the sketchup files, I based them on how the Jenison store just off of Chicago Drive turned out. It was recently renovated to Meijer's new format. However other than an addition and new garden center on the eastside of that building along with a fresh paint job it looks pretty much as it did before the remodel on the outside. It even has its old Meijer signage on the south and north facades. Although signage featureing the current logo was installed on the addition. Its kind of weird seeing two different logos on the same building. :rofl: Anyway the Jenison store was built in a similar time frame as the Alpine store. So with that in mind I think the Alpine store will look like the Jenison store once its remodeling is complete.

Here's the year-old store at Tel-12 in Southfield.

tel12meijer.jpg

The year-old store in Holland looks the same as this one also. My brother that works for Meijer informed me that they are building the stores pretty much all the same now, with some slight variances. Which is ok with me. I think the layout is pretty good.

besides the entrances and the sign, the front is basically an ugly cement wall, not very attractive but I guess thats price cutting.

BTW I liked the design of the old Ionia store from the outside, kindoof like 28th&kzoo

The Meijer above is actually panels of beige brick. There is also a window wall that extends from one entrance to the other under the sign (hidden behind the cars) in the check-out area. This is actually a nice feature of the store but was not included in the new Muskegon Meijer. I don't know how many other new Meijer's do or do not have these windows.

The Meijer above is actually panels of beige brick. There is also a window wall that extends from one entrance to the other under the sign (hidden behind the cars) in the check-out area. This is actually a nice feature of the store but was not included in the new Muskegon Meijer. I don't know how many other new Meijer's do or do not have these windows.

Meijer has a history of constantly tinkering with the design and layout of there stores so no two stores will be exactly the same. This is a good thing because that indicates the the folks in the board room are mosre open minded to new ideas than many of the company's competitors, an advantage that helps attract customers. The grocery and retail industries are all about slim margins so anything even minor helps.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the facade but I'm not a Meijer type of person to begin with so they can do what they want. I should say though, I'd shop at Meijer before Wal-Mart any day of the week.

Like most people have said, the renovation to this store is looking to be similar to the one where I live here in Jenison, especially the garden center and drive-thru pharmacy set-up. The Jenison's store facade was updated a bit but not significantly.

Meijer has a history of constantly tinkering with the design and layout of there stores so no two stores will be exactly the same. This is a good thing because that indicates the the folks in the board room are mosre open minded to new ideas than many of the company's competitors, an advantage that helps attract customers. The grocery and retail industries are all about slim margins so anything even minor helps.

Actually, Meijer won't be expermenting with layouts like they use to. They layouts will be pretty pretty much all the same with slight variances. This applies to the new stores obviously, not the remodeled ones.

I just got back from the Alpine Meijer. I talked to one of the cashiers about the renovation. She told me it was going to begin next week instead of November starting with the closure of the back entrance and work on that area. Also, there where contractors speaking to various managers thorughout the store about various things to be done. So it looks like Meijer is in a real hurry to get started.

I just got back from the Alpine Meijer. I talked to one of the cashiers about the renovation. She told me it was going to begin next week instead of November starting with the closure of the back entrance and work on that area. Also, there where contractors speaking to various managers thorughout the store about various things to be done. So it looks like Meijer is in a real hurry to get started.

Just in time for holiday shopping! Not my choice of scheduling.

Archived