Streetlife in the Triangle

Raleighsfinest

A few weeks back there was a man set up with a sax somewhere between Rush/Aura and Hibernion. It was amazing to see this and hear the music filling the air at sunset. It'd be a shame if the city discouraged this. There's a huge difference between this kind of entertainment and the panhandling that occurs on Glen South.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few weeks back there was a man set up with a sax somewhere between Rush/Aura and Hibernion. It was amazing to see this and hear the music filling the air at sunset. It'd be a shame if the city discouraged this. There's a huge difference between this kind of entertainment and the panhandling that occurs on Glen South.

I sort of understand the city's concerns -- we don't "I need to write you up a ticket to party," superhero costumes, and other annoying types of "street performers." But to "protect" us from those types (and "performing" I need $5 for gas to get to Durham/Rocky Mount/Fayetville types), the city does not need to scare legitimate street performers -- jugglers, musicians, and other artistic types.

In New Orelans, a gentleman went around to just about everyone, flipping them off and yelling "welcome to f'ing New Orleans." We couldn't tell if he was mentally unstable or trying to make money, but gave him a couple of bucks anyway. This is not the image the city wants, but it seems to be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The "agressive panhandling" laws should be expanded to any street performer that insists on payment.

The $40/year permit fee is not nearly as bad as submitting a video tape performance. For the sax player who wants to practice in public, especially downtown where there is a neat echo from some buildings, why should he submit a tape and pay money to get the city's blessinging?

The Streets at Southpoint used to bring in performers, but I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if they're still doing this. The city should not get in the business of picking and choosing who gets to perform -- the streets belong to everyone.

"You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater because then all you have is a wet, critically injured baby." - For Your Consideration

I never was a fan of those kinds of street performers. Nobody hired them, so there's no reason to hassle anyone for payment. There's this guy I saw in Times Square who's all covered in silver paint, like he's made of metal or something, who acts like a robot, and he freaks out and makes all these buzzing and screeching sounds if you try to take a picture of him without giving him any cash. I hate that guy.

• 1 month later...

Dan, I had grouped this topic last week based on some previous posts--so it fits well here I think...

This makes me wonder what other streets in the Triangle have some aspect of street performers or musicians?

I'd say Franklin St leads the way, with possibly Fayetteville next... but what about Durham and Ninth St or Main St? Admittedly, I don't get over there too much.

In London's transit tunnels, there are designated "performer areas" spaced out far enough to not overlap each other. Would something like that work here? Would it be necessary?

I think it would help the "hot dog cart wars" that used to happen near the history/natural sciences museum corridor a year or so ago, but performers are (so far) few enough to not have turf battles.

More performers will come out when the weather improves... it will be interesting to see if there are new players this year.

edit: hot dog *cart*, not car

• 6 months later...

I tried a search, but couldn't find a specific topic on "No-Hand King" Rodney Hines. I know he's been mentioned before... he's one of those unique people that make Raleigh kind of cool and interesting. He's wants to do a no-hand ride across America to raise money for our troops and and raise awareness to MIAs. If you ever see him, give him a wave.

Here's his webpage.

• 1 month later...

Archived