The SBC telephone building.

tamias6

The last time I was in DT I noticed that the SBC Building, the tall Romanesque style buiding on the north east corner of Division and Fountain, had some scaffolding appear around its base and some of the lanes on Divison and Fountain where closed off. Is there anything noteworthy happening here?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed it too. I was taking some photos of the building (relating to my work) and was not able to get all the shots I wanted (due to the fencing closing the sidewalk around the building). I love the architecture of the old Ma Bell buildings. Check em out: http://www.telcodata.us/gallery/ and http://www.thecentraloffice.com/

Ok, not ALL of them are great. Many are though. There is some great detail on our GDRPMIBL aka 114 N. Division. Looks like 114 N. Division was built in 1924.

They've been working on the outside of that building for over a year now. I did notice that the areas where they were working (on the East side) do look cleaner and freshly painted. I think they also may be replacing some of the window panes. I think that's about it. :dontknow:

Probably many of the windows were covered over the years to hide unsightly equipment inside. But it would be cool if they could open them back up as it would greatly enhance the beauty of this building. Now if we could do somthing about the 60's addition on the north side of the building. That would make my day right there.

Archived