Above Nashville

BrandonTO416

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to say. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then, with these, I'm speechless.

Hail Bill Cobb!

These couldn't be more than a week old and are priceless when it comes to planning and trying to visualize how new developments will impact the area from appearance, to function, to transportation etc. It also illustrates the various personalities of the distinct areas of town from the tightness of the core to the density of the West End. Cranes are abundant and as recent as these photos are, in a couple of years future pictures will be even more dramatic. Being able to see the sites of W.E.S., Crown, Signature, SunTrust, etc is fascinating. The pictures of the Star are essays in themselves.

Great find, heckles, thank you, thank you for posting these. THIS is the Nashville we know, work in, play in and understand.

Incredible views. We live in a big city!

All the pictures are amazing. I particularly like the West End view:

nash_8780.jpg

It shows the urban density Nashville has outside of the central business district. That is unusual among southern cities. And imagine the West End Summit (two 26 story buildings) going in the lot on the lower right of the picture.

So when did they paint the underside of the downtown bridges red? And do they not turn on the blue lights at the top of teh TPAC tower anymore? I remember when they were building the Korean War Verterans Memorial bridge that you could vote for the color that the bridge was going to be painted and there was also an article in one of the Nashville newspaper regarding the downtown bridges. The article commented about painting the bridges and perhaps adding some sort of lighting scheme to them, heck I believe that the KWVM bridge was even supposed to be light up at night like the Shelby St. bridge. Does anyone else remember reading about this a few years back? Maybe the painting of the downtown bridges is the start to this??? :blush:

So when did they paint the underside of the downtown bridges red? And do they not turn on the blue lights at the top of teh TPAC tower anymore? I remember when they were building the Korean War Verterans Memorial bridge that you could vote for the color that the bridge was going to be painted and there was also an article in one of the Nashville newspaper regarding the downtown bridges. The article commented about painting the bridges and perhaps adding some sort of lighting scheme to them, heck I believe that the KWVM bridge was even supposed to be light up at night like the Shelby St. bridge. Does anyone else remember reading about this a few years back? Maybe the painting of the downtown bridges is the start to this??? :blush:

Yes, you're right, the Plan of Nashville and the Civic Design Center recomended that Nashville begin to paint its bridges colors and I'm not quite sure why they didn't. I personally think Nashville, in general, is a little devoid of color and the bridges painted could add a little splash. These awesome pictures really do show how dense Nashville is in areas other than just the CBD and it shows

That's some great photo's. Thanks for posting. I am very impressed. I really like Nashville's skyline; the dense area around the Fifth Third Bank Tower is suprisingly dense. I like the rows of brownstones. The Batman building is a classic I have come to appreciate alot more since coming to UP. The new Veridian is a great looking project. I am impressed how the downtown high-rise living has taken-off! The way the Cumberland River weaves around downtown between the Titans Stadium is cool. The West End is an impressive corridor. What exactly are the boundries of West End?

The past couple years leaders from my city(Baton Rouge) visited some sucessful southern Capital cities Austin, Raleigh, and Nashville(two years ago) to get some good ideas. Nashville has given Baton Rouge some good ideas to take back with them. :thumbsup:

Fabulous pictures! Best I've ever seen of Nashville. I'm almost speechless as well. There is no doubt from these that Nashville IS evolving into a big city, just as others have pointed out. I love the shots of midtown, because they show more density there than I have ever thought there was. And the downtown photos show great density as well. Thanks, Bill Cobb and Heckles!

Wow, great pictures. I moved from Nashville to Mexico a few months ago and those pictures just made me real homesick. I was tough leaving Nashville during such a cool time in the city's evolution; therefore, I wanted to know if anyone has any recent pics of any of the new projects going on?

indead these are hot off the press. Friday and saturday a helicopter was buzzing around downtown inbetween the buildings. It was so close that I could see the people inside. I was wondering what they were doing.

Was that the white 'copter that was circling around? We saw it fly over too and wondered what it was.. since it was white, I figured it wasn't the police looking for anybody in our 'hood!

The article commented about painting the bridges and perhaps adding some sort of lighting scheme to them, heck I believe that the KWVM bridge was even supposed to be light up at night like the Shelby St. bridge. Maybe the painting of the downtown bridges is the start to this??? :blush:

IIRC, it had to do with who was going to pay for it. The railroad bridge belongs to the railroad, the state maintains some of the others, etc.. (or something like that)

Nashville may want the bridges painted, but I guess you couldn't very well ask these others to pony up the money to paint their bridges.. no matter that it is a great idea!

Come back in five years, when this view...

nash_8568.jpg

will include much of this...

Fiveyears.jpg

Great work, PH. This just wets my appetite for the changes ahead in SoBro. Just one look at you're rendering proves that SoBro is indeed becoming the extension of downtown. Height limitations. Bah! It will be amazing in 2010. It will be more more amazing in 2020.

Wow PH!!!

That looks astounding!! I know I'm asking alot.. .but is there anyway you can diagram the gulch and it's buildings, as well as the West End buildings in one of the more panoramic pics, so that we can get an idea of ALL the work coming up?? That would be spectacular!!!

Archived