Greenville Now in High Resolution

Beowulf

On October 3, Google released a new set of high resolution satellite and aerial imagery for their Google Earth mapping program. These Hi-Res updates now include all of downtown Greenville. The image below gives an idea of resolution details.

You can see that the images are fairly recent, as it shows the new River Place construction. However, their maps are still very much out of date, as they still show Camperdown Way continuing across the Reedy.

263785268_90862b8ae1_o.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On October 3, Google released a new set of high resolution satellite and aerial imagery for their Google Earth mapping program. These Hi-Res updates now include all of downtown Greenville. The image below gives an idea of resolution details.

You can see that the images are fairly recent, as it shows the new River Place construction. However, their maps are still very much out of date, as they still show Camperdown Way continuing across the Reedy.

263785268_90862b8ae1_o.jpg

Very nice! :shades: Fortunately, in this image, the Liberty Bridge is shown instead of the old Camperdown bridge. :thumbsup:

Tom: That's nice to see. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Evan: There's usually a fairly good delay between when the images were captured (guessing some time last summer, from these photos) and when Google can utilize them. It'd be nice if it were nearly real-time, though, darnit! They need to try harder. :lol:

Greenridge would be on the other side of Church Street, which isn't included in this image. I haven't checked since posting these, but I bet that at least some groundwork is taking place.

As for real-time images, I'm not so sure I'd like that ;-)

Greenridge would be on the other side of Church Street, which isn't included in this image. I haven't checked since posting these, but I bet that at least some groundwork is taking place.

As for real-time images, I'm not so sure I'd like that ;-)

McBee Station maybe?

Evan: There's usually a fairly good delay between when the images were captured (guessing some time last summer, from these photos) and when Google can utilize them. It'd be nice if it were nearly real-time, though, darnit! They need to try harder

Yes...i figured that. I was talking about the shops out at woodruff road. Those images were when they were grading for it. I found that kind of interesting. On a side note we will be starting Mcbee station this monday rested traveler. They are digging footings now for the publix and getting all the rebar tied up. We are fixing our blue scafold also to get them ready to go. We have 5 weeks to build the publix and 5 weeks to build the staples building. Its going to be tight.

Yes...i figured that. I was talking about the shops out at woodruff road. Those images were when they were grading for it. I found that kind of interesting. On a side note we will be starting Mcbee station this monday rested traveler. They are digging footings now for the publix and getting all the rebar tied up. We are fixing our blue scafold also to get them ready to go. We have 5 weeks to build the publix and 5 weeks to build the staples building. Its going to be tight.

Google now has high resolution photos all accross SC, with the exception of Cayce and West Columbia for some reason. Anyway, they appear to be about 1 year old. If you go to Spartanburg and check out Morgan Square, you can see that work on it is still in progress, and given the fact that all the trees are dark green, you can assume its late summer, both of which indicate that these images were taken about 1 year ago, give or take a few months.

The images that Google updated earlier (which are more brown looking) are not taken in that same time frame.

The satellite image of the western half of downtown must have been taken in last December or January, because I can clearly see my house covered by the big blue tarp I put up after getting hit by a tree in last winter's ice storm.

Excellent observation. That jives with the construction progress at West End Field, too.

Clearly one set was taken during winter and one during spring/summer. The contrast in vegetation in striking.

As for Greenridge, I think that area had already been available in Google Earth as hi-res, so those images might not have been updated. It's possible that they are several years old.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived