Governors Mansion

stjoe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the Gov. Mansion is my neighbor, I've often heard this same desire expressed before. If memory serves me correctly, I believe at one time JEB! wanted the same thing and looked into the matter. I believe the businesses and land owners in front of the Mansion wanted way too much money for their property or just did not want to sell and the State didn't at that time want to force eminent domain on the matter.

Does anyone else remember talk about this too? It may have occurred at the same time they looked into and did close part of Adams Street.

I agree a larger front yard and better view and entrance to the Gov. Mansion from Monroe would be more appealing.

Did you know that 6 States do not have a Gov. Mansion? Those States just give the Gov. an extra living expense salary much the way FSU handles it's Presidents now.

If I recall correctly, I thought I even heard the opposite... land acquisition around the mansion in an attempt to better isolate and secure it.

What I remember of those talks before, security and isolation were part of why they wanted it done too.

Governor's Mansion is getting a sign

In July, the Florida Governor's Mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, joining its neighbor, The Grove, once the home of territorial governor Richard Keith Call.

State officials plan to apply to have both properties designated a National Historic Landmark. When that happens in a year or so - and even if it doesn't - they will erect a sign identifying both sites. The Grove is still occupied by former first lady Mary Call Collins, a Call descendant, but it eventually will pass to the state.

This is the 50th anniversary of the Governor's Mansion. The brick mansion was completed in late 1956 and opened to the public in January 1957 for Gov. LeRoy Collins' second inauguration. It replaced Florida's original governor's mansion, constructed in 1907.

Tallahassee.com

Seriously have you notice lately that when we bring up a topic and ask questions/discuss about it...3 days later a story shows up about it the Democrat??? What's w/that? ESP?

Or maybe someone is harvesting ideas? I don't mind. The demmogog needs all the help it can get.

My favorite feature of the Mansion is the way cool elevator.

Seriously have you notice lately that when we bring up a topic and ask questions/discuss about it...3 days later a story shows up about it the Democrat??? What's w/that? ESP?

Ive noticed that the Democrat is actually about 3 days behind on most all stories compared to the rest of the states prints.

I'm also thinking because he's been here so long, at least 7-8 years that this should feel like home to him and that he would want to make life a bit more exciting if he hopes to spend a few years as Governor. I'm also led to believe he knows a little about style, being a Metrosexual and all.

Anyone of them is better than what's in there now as far as Tally is concerned. JEB! had absolutely no ties to FL in anyway (except I think his G'ma had a winter home on Jupiter Island) before he moved to Miami several years before running for Gov.

I think both Crist and Davis have first loyalties to the Tpa Bay area but w/Crist being an FSU grad and homecoming queen, whoops I mean King, that could help some. I know he's an ex-Pike here at FSU and they've got their pledges working the phones for him all the time.

All in all I wouldn't hold my breath for either one to be best friends of Tally, but like I said before, it's better than having an enemy of Tally in mansion.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone of them is better than what's in there now as far as Tally is concerned. JEB! had absolutely no ties to FL in anyway (except I think his G'ma had a winter home on Jupiter Island) before he moved to Miami several years before running for Gov.

I think both Crist and Davis have first loyalties to the Tpa Bay area but w/Crist being an FSU grad and homecoming queen, whoops I mean King, that could help some. I know he's an ex-Pike here at FSU and they've got their pledges working the phones for him all the time.

All in all I wouldn't hold my breath for either one to be best friends of Tally, but like I said before, it's better than having an enemy of Tally in mansion.

Again the cheap jokes about Chain Gang Charlie's sexual preference. What does it matter whether or not he smokes cigars. Oh wait, that was bubba. Anyhow, on 17 January, 2005, Charlie said on the radio (WQYK-FM) when asked if he was gay, "..no man, I love women. I mean, they're wonderful." So there.

He's just a sharp dresser who reads Esquire and used to date Katy Harris (swoon). Charlie's going to be a great governor. He listens well and despite what the folks on Jefferson street would like to believe, is not a "my party right or wrong" kind of 'pub.

I really don't care if he is gay or not. That is his personal business.

This is probably one governor's election where I won't be disappointed no matter who wins. I'm voting for Davis because he supports most of my political views and it won't be a "gosh darnnit, is this the best the democrats can do?" vote either. However, I don't view Crist as being one of the "players" in the republican party. If he wins I'm pretty sure he will be Florida's governor, not just a Republican Governor.

It's funny that even though one of my majors is in Poitical Science, I rarely delve into political discussions. That's probably due to the fact that I'm registered as an independent and get annoyed with people who vote on a person based solely on political party. That being said I have a somewhat conseravtive lean (mainly because at least they pretend to support the military) and will vote for Christ, I mean Crist. I feel he is a better fit, however, I also need to learn more about Davis before I cast my final ballot.

It's funny that even though one of my majors is in Poitical Science, I rarely delve into political discussions. That's probably due to the fact that I'm registered as an independent and get annoyed with people who vote on a person based solely on political party. That being said I have a somewhat conseravtive lean (mainly because at least they pretend to support the military) and will vote for Christ, I mean Crist. I feel he is a better fit, however, I also need to learn more about Davis before I cast my final ballot.

I agree TJ, I'm a Democrat here considered liberal for Tally, but really a moderate in the rest of the normal world, also a military brat of a WWII veteran.

Doesn't matter whether Charlie is or isn't gay EXCEPT if he happened to be gay (I'm not saying he is at all) and he's supporting and passing legislation against gays then that makes him a self-loathing hypocrite and that is the type of person I don't won't as my Guv. A perfect example of this is Foley. He was head of the "protect the children" legislation and then being a pedophile himself & being gay and voting for DOMA. That is when it matters to me.

And oh yeah, you just keep believing that gay men never date women or even marry then, oh no that never happens. :huh:

Aloha

I agree TJ, I'm a Democrat here considered liberal for Tally, but really a moderate in the rest of the normal world, also a military brat of a WWII veteran.

Doesn't matter whether Charlie is or isn't gay EXCEPT if he happened to be gay (I'm not saying he is at all) and he's supporting and passing legislation against gays then that makes him a self-loathing hypocrite and that is the type of person I don't won't as my Guv. A perfect example of this is Foley. He was head of the "protect the children" legislation and then being a pedophile himself & being gay and voting for DOMA. That is when it matters to me.

And oh yeah, you just keep believing that gay men never date women or even marry then, oh no that never happens. :huh:

Aloha

Archived