National Theatre

Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much, Joey, for giving us the NBC12 footage. And it's refreshing that a young person like you is excited about an old theatre.

I know, when it's finished, you and your friends will attend lots of shows there.

Tickets for acts that play the NorVa in Norfolk (a sister operation to the National) are very reasonable -- often as little as $12 top. Some of the big names get as much as $30 to $35 for a ticket; but that's very reasonable when you consider what tickets sell for at the really big venues like The Coliseum and the "Jack" in Charlottesville.

"Spacy" told me that some tickets at Toad's Place will sell for $1500 each. Yep! That's what he said - $1500!

Burt I have waited so long for the big bands to come to richmond and not skip us. I will be attending alot of concerts their probably.

Burt are you seroius!? $1500!!!!!! Thats insane!!!

If Toad's really does market some tickets at that price, the buyer will get very special VIP treatment, You can be sure of that. :lol:

But "Spacy" was a young workman on the site who told me that, and he insisted it is true.

Maybe Henry can check out that report when he goes on the Vistas/Lady Bird (Toad's) tour Dec. 14th.

Hmm so had this been up and running... I don't think it would have pulled in Justin and Billy who're playing Charlottesville.

Yeah, that just goes to show that the Coliesum needs to be replaced so that Richmond isn't passed over by such artists. RICHMOND should be hosting these kinds of shows, not small towns like Charlottesville (despite the college-age student population). It's just extra proof that if you have a good and newer facility, you will attract good entertainment. Charlottesville's JPJ Arena proves this theory.

I would be interested in knowing the geographic demographics of concert-goers at JPJ. Of course a lot of the ticket sales come from students, but it seems that a large number of concert-goers at JPJ come down from Northern Virginia (even though the big names usually stop at the Verizon Center before coming to Cville). I wonder if a state-of-the-art venue replacing the Collesieum could compete with these demographics? Despite Richmond's central location, I doubt it would attract many students from Charlottesville or many residents of NoVa. Does Richmond really have enough people willing to pay $70 to see Dave, Justin, or the Chili Peppers?

The National and Toads don't pretend to be bookers of high octane performers like Justin and Billy. They will be going after the mid-level attractions that could not fill the really big halls but have a large youthful following. Heretofore, Richmond has not been able to attract them except for one nighters at The Landmark when that theatre is not otherwise booked. Toads and the National, with little fixed seating and a club atmosphere, will be a new kind of experience for concert-goers.

I am as surprised as anyone if C'ville's The Jack is pulling large audiences from Nova. There's no question Central Virginians patronize the facility in large numbers and are not put off by the high prices. If Richmond had a big first-class facility with sharp management, locals and visitors alike would flock to see the type of names Charlottesville is booking. High ticket costs would not be a barrier, IMO. After all, The Virginia Opera and Richmond Ballet charge $100 top for its productions at the Landmark. When the Carpenter Center is once again up and running, I suspect we will see sit-down 5 or 6 week engagements of top Broadway shows like LION KING and MARY POPPINS on its giant new stage. And because of its reduced capacity (after re-configuration of seating), ticket prices will be upward of $75. Audiences already pay $65 top to see mediocre touring shows at The Landmark. People will pay thru the nose to see what they perceive as "hot" in a beautiful first-class theatre. Norfolk's aging Chrysler Hall has found this to be a truism with long-run top quality touring productions. And Hampton Road's economy has benefitted.

Coupe I totallly agree with you, I would love to see extra wealthy people pore in millions to build a new arena I think despeartly need a new arena, I think a more modern design with state of the art techonlogy would make a huge difference in bringing concerts and other events to Richmond.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of demo work occuring. For the last week, the mechanical systems are being removed.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of National construction, Shak.

What about the Thalhimer hole? Has it been filled yet?

I'm hoping Tommy will take some close-ups of these developments when he's downtown Thursday.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of National construction, Shak.

What about the Thalhimer hole? Has it been filled yet?

I'm hoping Tommy will take some close-ups of these developments when he's downtown Thursday.

Thalheimer hole has been filled.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have information of progress at The National Theatre (I'm going to have to start writing the word like everybody else does -- but it grates against my old fashioned respect for these buildings.)

TheatER. Ouch! There!!! I've said it. :tough:

Now I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap. :angry:

Ryan says work appears to have slowed at The National. Let's hope that does not portend anything we need worry about.

I have e-mailed the design firm and asked for more details and will report back when their reply arrives.

Where is Shakman? Has he moved on to another city? He was our point man on the Fed Court House and The National.

The national's myspace page

Also, it's still under construction but this will be the National Theater's website once complete:

http://nationaltheaterva.com/

WOW!

Many thanks Coupe. My fears have abated since it certainly appears from myspace comments things are moving ahead quickly.

That Myspace site is wild :rofl:. And the renderings of the building's interior and exterior are great! Just wish they weren't flashing so fast. I want to savor each one.

I know I'm old and change-resistant, but this MTV style of simular picture display being universally adapted by movie & TV directors is an insult. It's like saying one has read a book when he has merely skimmed the chapters.

Yea National! :yahoo: It's wonderful that the new venue already has a lot of young fans...and old ones, too.

Acckk my only gripe is the seats but in a way that may be a good thing. Once Toad's Place is complete (whenever that may be) well have two first class venues. One for upscale acts (The National) where people prefer to sit and watch music/plays and one for the younger crowd (Toad's Place) where people prefer to be standing and dancing in front of the stage. We definitely don't want two identical new venues popping up. IMO, Toad's Place will be more similar to the Norva than the National will be.

Edit: Ok perhaps I'm wrong about the seats. Is the area in front of the stage going to be open or will rows of seats be in place?

They are removing all of the seats on the first level of the national... I believe there will be some on the balcony though behind the VIP area.

Thanks Coupe. I'd do well to go back through the thread and actually read it before spouting off. :blush:

I wonder how this will affect Toad's Place? I get the feeling the National is moving forward much faster.

Welcome back, ric75. You've been away too long.

I'm, excited about both venues. I believe Toads and the National are going to be quite similar. As I understand it, each will be a youth-oriented concert hall...sort of like The Canal Club but much larger and posher. Neither will be a dance club if I undersatand correctly.

By contrast, NorVa near MacArthur Center in Norfolk is a concert venue while a few blocks away The Granby Theatre (also called Premier) combines concert and dance.

Our friend vdogg could clarify all of this for us. :)

The Myspace pix of National renderings are fairly clear -- flat floor in front of stage to just under the balcony from whence the rake will be retained -- perhaps with tables on risers. There'll be a large bar along the west wall of the auditorium (actually in the sloped area, but obviously on a level); The front balcony (or loge) will be the VIP section and will have an entry along the west wall into a private bar and lounge. The upper balcony will have fixed seating. Building capacity will be 1500 and there will be two restaurants -- upscale dining on the ground floor of the wing at the corner of 7th Street, and a Pizza place in the eastern wing. At least, that's my understanding.

I've never been able to figure out the configuration of Toads. Some say there will be a hydraulic stage that will rise with players from the ground floor thru a hole that has been carved out of the second level. But I cannot picture it in my mind.

I wish Toads had a myspace page. :)

Archived