National Theatre

Shakman

I'm getting distraught about the National. Apparently little or no work is going on and the city is waiting for a revised permit application for heavy work worth more than $2 million.

Daniel Construction has removed its sign from the covered construction walkway.

The myspace site that Coupe posted has wonderful renderings of what the finished product is supposed to look like.

What's going on?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

If you can believe the Building Permits column in the Times Dispatch (I think it is often out-of-date), work is progressing at The National. Today's notation reads: RIC Capital Ventures LLC, owner;Daniel & Co., Inc. contractor; 700 East Broad Street; alterations $2.42 million.

hello eveyone, I am new to the forum and happy to have a place to discuss the nerdy whims that we all have in our shared dream of making Richmond even more of an urban gem than it already is.

Anyhow, I have been frothing at the mouth for these clubs to open, esp. the National. I regularly drive to DC for the 930 and Norfolk for the Norva to attend shows and it is about dam time we have our pwn places here in RVA.

I spoke to the contractor at the Nat a few weeks agao and he said additional work was needed on the interior and that it was costing a lot more money, and the owner switched contractors, etc. He threw out another "18 months" until completion, which would put us towards the middle of next year, not this Spring. Take that for what it is worth, but it does seem to have a long way to go. This guy was a bit or a redneck type, who said they should just "tear the place down." So, yeah, he kind of had that mentality.

Toad's Place.....just noticed they have a show booked(the Waybacks) on 6/16/07. I was floored when i saw it on www.pollstar.com. Official website still not indicating when they will open. This place has had its opening delayed over and over again. I really think the Nat will overshadow this club due to its affiliate with the Norva, which is totally first class, and its beauty. Toad's place might be in a better spot, but we'll see.

That's all i got....

:thumbsup: That's quite a bit you've got there, deeznatz. Many thanks, and welcome to the forum. If his mindset is to "tear the place down", maybe Bill Reed and RIC Capital Ventures fired the wrong contractor!

I wonder if Johanas Design is still doing the interior?

So if the contractor is right, maybe we can expect a Nat opening around summer of 2008.

And excuse my ignorance, but are "The Waybacks", Toad's first booking, well known in young music circles?

PS: Never occurred to me to call it "The Nat", but it's catchy. I like it.

I really think the Nat will overshadow this club due to its affiliate with the Norva, which is totally first class, and its beauty. Toad's place might be in a better spot, but we'll see.

I think Toad's will easily be able to give the Nat a run for its money. While the Nat has an affiliation with the Norva, Toad's place has an affiliation with the original Toad's place, a storied night spot which I have visited on several occasions in New Haven, CT. I think both venues will have considerable power with regards to attracting big names. I will be interesting to see how the competition plays out.

I think Toad's will easily be able to give the Nat a run for its money. While the Nat has an affiliation with the Norva, Toad's place has an affiliation with the original Toad's place, a storied night spot which I have visited on several occasions in New Haven, CT. I think both venues will have considerable power with regards to attracting big names. I will be interesting to see how the competition plays out.

Are The Waybacks considered a name act?

Are The Waybacks considered a name act?

No, not at all. I seriously hope that isn't their first event, which i was hoping to be someting that would really =attract attention....like Wilco, My Morning Jacket, etc.

I am hoping that is just the first booking that appeared online, and not their "grand opening" show.

No, not at all. I seriously hope that isn't their first event, which i was hoping to be someting that would really =attract attention....like Wilco, My Morning Jacket, etc.

I am hoping that is just the first booking that appeared online, and not their "grand opening" show.

Maybe, deeznatz, it's not really an opening of the club at all, but a revival of the music-on-a-barge canalside that was tried last summer. It was discontinued, I have heard, because the City said the building, under heavy construction at the time, did not have bathroom facilities.

On the other hand, now that the hole has been cut exposing the basement level to viewers from above, The Waybacks may really be a booking in the club itself. But I'm with you; they've got to have a strong opener.

Actually, all this chat should be in the Toads Place thread you just created rather than infringing here on The Nat's space. :) But I don't have the expertise to move it. :dontknow:

The National has replaced the site they had up a while ago with a newer and better looking one that includes a "fan club" section and a blog still waiting for its first entry for now. They have also announced their first show:

Season debut: Wide Spread Panic with special guest TBA

Tickets: $20 in advance, $25 at the door

All ages welcome. Doors open at 6pm.

www.nationalva.com

Interesting news, mrd3b. I'm not crazy about the new web site...especially in its empty state. But thanks to your assistance in accessing the site, I did learn that Wide Spread Panic is booked into the National on September 7th of '07.

I also found on pollstar that Wide Spread Panic will be stopping at The Landmark Theatre in Richmond next month - April 3rd. The group has lots of dates in April, many of them in auspicious venues.

So, let's hope the Nat will be up and running by September. :thumbsup:

The National has replaced the site they had up a while ago with a newer and better looking one that includes a "fan club" section and a blog still waiting for its first entry for now. They have also announced their first show:

Season debut: Wide Spread Panic with special guest TBA

Tickets: $20 in advance, $25 at the door

All ages welcome. Doors open at 6pm.

www.nationalva.com

Wow... these guys actually get it! Couldn't think of a much better group to start out with. Widespread has a great following and this show will introduce a lot of outsiders to downtown Richmond and their gorgeous new music venue.

Wow... these guys actually get it! Couldn't think of a much better group to start out with. Widespread has a great following and this show will introduce a lot of outsiders to downtown Richmond and their gorgeous new music venue.

ric75, did you notice that Wide Spread Panic will appear at the Richmond Landmark in a couple of weeks -- April 3rd?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Nat will be ready for the group on September 7th.

Has Widespread played the Norva?

ric75, did you notice that Wide Spread Panic will appear at the Richmond Landmark in a couple of weeks -- April 3rd?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Nat will be ready for the group on September 7th.

No I didn't notice they were playing the Landmark. Not a huge fan of them myself but a lot of my friends and friends of friends are. The difference between the Landmark and the National is that the National will be a true concert venue. IMO, concerts and seats don't go together unless you are talking music of the classical variety. :D

I do no believe they have played the Norva, burt. WSP typically plays larger venues, anything from large theaters like the Landmark to(more typically) outdoor sheds of various sizes and even full-fledged arenas, like Phillips in Atlanta. For example, I believe they have 2 scheduled shows at 20K+ venue Walnut Creek in raleigh this summer. So, for them to play a 1400 capacaity club should be considere rather special and I would have to guess is their opening, whiz-bang, attention-getting show. There bass player is from Richmond so perhaps there are some connections there that helped with this show being set up.

deeznatz, I bet if they asked nicely Elliott Yamin would play a date at The Nat...or Toad's, for that matter. His is not the "mosh pit" type of music, but they could be sure he'd sell out in minutes. He loves his hometown and tommorow he'll be signing his new album at Circuit City in the West End.

WSP is only $25 top at The Nat, so they won't take away big bucks. But as you suggest maybe the house will absorb a loss in order to open with a splash.

Which brings me to speculate -- I have a feeling attractions will run the gamut at The National from punk rock to classical. I'll bet the Symphony's Kicked Back Classics will move their downtown concert from The Canal Club to the Nat. After all, if they're planning only 100 bookings the first year there'll be plenty of down time.

deeznatz, I bet if they asked nicely Elliott Yamin would play a date at The Nat...or Toad's, for that matter. His is not the "mosh pit" type of music, but they could be sure he'd sell out in minutes. He loves his hometown and tommorow he'll be signing his new album at Circuit City in the West End.

WSP is only $25 top at The Nat, so they won't take away big bucks. But as you suggest maybe the house will absorb a loss in order to open with a splash.

Which brings me to speculate -- I have a feeling attractions will run the gamut at The National from punk rock to classical. I'll bet the Symphony's Kicked Back Classics will move their downtown concert from The Canal Club to the Nat. After all, if they're planning only 100 bookings the first year there'll be plenty of down time.

Yes, the national and toad's should have a wide variety of music, from punk to metal to major indie bands to roots rock to blues guys and even some country. Also probably some jazz and hip hop....just like the Norva and 930 have now.

I'll tell you one thing, the Canal Clubs days are numbered. There is no place for that venue in town any longer. They were SUPPOSED to be evrything that the Nat and Toad's will soon be, but they have fallen far, far short of that goal. The place is a complete craphole and they only have like 2 shows per month. Alley Katz is a much cooler spot that appears to have better management and booking contacts, so I think they will survuve the Nat and Toads by continuing to get local/regional acts along with some lesser known national acts that would not be able to fill a larger club. yep, i see Alley Katz as sticking around and the Canal Club as falling by the wayside....hopfully a new restaurant or two!

Publicity and promotion are beginning for the two downtown Richmond music halls expected to debut this year. A lot of people have doubts as to whether both (or either) can make it, but Richmond would not be Richmond if negativity were not part of the equation. After all, the "light bulb" analogy was born here.

Jeff Sadler, the inspiration behind Toad's Place, says "The market for live music exiists and that with proper marketing Richmonders and music fans from as far away as Williamsburg and Fredericksburg will flock downtown to catch a show, either at Toad's or The National."

Brad Wells, representing The National chimes in with "it's not that Richmond hasn't supported a venue of this size -- it's that a venue of this size hasn't been done right."

Norfolk supports exceedingly well two like-sized venues within blocks of one another on Granby Street -- NorVa (affiliated with The Nat) and Granby Theater, a/k/a Premier Club. In an area as spread out as Hampton Roads, it is nothing short of remarkable that sell-out crowds jam into central Norfolk to enjoy these venues.

It will happen in Richmond as well, IMO.

Read Aaron Kremer's story from Brick Magazine below:

http://www.brickweekly.com/index.php/features/two_too_much/

Archived