National Theatre

Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you will also see Bands too like Foo Fighters and the Dave Matthews Band play at the National or Toads since I believe one of the band members of Foo Fighters is from Richmond and then one of the Dave Matthews Band Members is from Charlottesville.

Dave Matthews has sold out Scott Stadium, the JPJ, the Verizon VA Beach ampitheatre and I'm sure others in VA. If they're going to do a nostalgic small crowd return to VA it will be in Charlottesville. Richmond's only hope to pull them is the Coliseum.

I didn't get very far in my attempt to sneak around The National, but did manage to go thru an open door on 7th street which led me into the corner space (formerly Markow's Florist). They are working furiously on the building and when I tried to peer thru a newly cut hole-in-the-wall connecting the restaurant space (the old florist shop) with the lobby, a worker said that he could not allow me to remain The space I saw is quite large and spacious and I would guess will lend itself to a fine location for up-scale dining.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this is dated news, but today's Building Permits column in the RTD says that the firm of Conquest, Moncure & Dunn, Inc. has a contract for $2.42 million worth of construction at The National.

While I was in town two weeks ago, I happened by the theatre as workmen were dismantling the marquee which had been placed there by Historic Richmond when they saved the building from demolition.

You have me looking at the permits now. I finally got disappointing news last week when an apartment building a block away will be rehabbed instead of demolished. We need less apartments and more single family houses in Woodville.

Anyway, how long is this project supposed to take? Parking in this block where one of the closest atms for the VACU to me is is nightmarish with half the block closed.

• 1 month later...

I was just going to ask the same thing. I take it that no one still knows?

I just heard about this Friday at work; sounds very exciting.

Check out the recent issue of Richmond Magazine for a full article on it.

I believe they mentioned possibly the end of this year, or first quarter 2008, but no one ws guaranteeing anything. My personal hope is that about this time next year, maybe a little earlier, the Nat will be up and running.

Just a guess, no inside info.

Hey, natz, what was that announcement all about a few months ago that Widespread Panic would open the Nat on Sept. 17th?

The website is still blank -- promising "coming soon".

Wish I could see the Richmond Magazine article. Does it have pictures?

Our friend Henry poked his head into the National a couple of weeks ago and learned that opening should be in the January-March stretch of 2008. He didn't report on how it looks, but you get the feeling from him that it, like Toads Place, is going to be first-class.

Deeznats, I hope the Richmond Magazine article you mentioned is in the July issue because I've asked a friend to bring it to me here in New York. She had sent the June copy, but it wasn't there.

Our friend Henry poked his head into the National a couple of weeks ago and learned that opening should be in the January-March stretch of 2008. He didn't report on how it looks, but you get the feeling from him that it, like Toads Place, is going to be first-class.

Deeznats, I hope the Richmond Magazine article you mentioned is in the July issue because I've asked a friend to bring it to me here in New York. She had sent the June copy, but it wasn't there.

sorry, man, it is the May 2007 issue. I'm sure yuo can get one from their website...

I recall the article. They stated that they weren't trying to directly compete with Toad's Place. The more I think about it, though, the more similar the venues seem.

I would be very surprised if The National isn't head and shoulders above Toads when it comes to facilities and beauty.

My friend did bring the magazine with the National article but hasn't delivered it to me yet. Later today, she says.

That Harry Kollatz is some good writer! His story in the May issue of Richmond Magazine is illuminatingly comprehensive and covers many question I had about the National. Accompanying photos by Chris Smith give me lots of pleasure.

Some things I learned:

The color scheme of the intricate bas relief work around the proscenium, boxes and dome will be painted a deep purple called "gallaxy" over a more subdued background. The psycological effect will be to draw focus to the stage rather than the decor.

A "floating" stage over the permanent stage floor (I'm guessing maybe three or four feet higher than the present level) will still allow for use of the grid and fly space.

Amenities for performers and crew will include hot tub, sauna, access to the VIP club and their very own lounge toward the front of the building on the balcony level that formerly was a kiddie's nursery.

The flagship restaurant on the ground level at the 7th and Broad corner will have a redesigned stairway to more restaurant space in the basement, a pool hall in early days.

There will be about 280 fixed seats with cup holders in the upper balcony. The seats are for those who don't prefer to stand and perhaps parents who wish to oversee what their youth are doing on the ground floor. There will be a bar with couches and tables off the balcony.

Meanwhile, a VIP section in the front balcony (called the "loge" in early days) will have chairs and banquettes and entrance to its own plush red velvet and marble whorled bar.

Smoking is taboo in the hall itself, except in designated areas including a courtyard (with its own bar) in an alley on the east side of the hall's interior.

Like the Norva in Hampton Roads, "VIP memberships will be offered that provide two transferrable tickets for every National show and complete access to its VIP amenities. The cost should be around $5000." My comment: I'll bet a quarter a lot of these will be sold.

I like Harry's final words: "Concertgoers can go from nosh to mosh."

Look for opening in early to mid 2008.

I've heard nothing about whose restaurant will occupy the prime corner space at The National, but I wish it would be an expansion of MILLIE's. That name would mean built in business for the location since it enjoys such a local, National, and even International reputation. And it's a locally owned operation -- not a chain.

Are you listening Bill Reid, Bruce Wells, Dave Peterson, Laura Willis and Scott Corwin? :good:

I've heard nothing about whose restaurant will occupy the prime corner space at The National, but I wish it would be an expansion of MILLIE's. That name would mean built in business for the location since it enjoys such a local, National, and even International reputation. And it's a locally owned operation -- not a chain.

Are you listening Bill Reid, Bruce Wells, Dave Peterson, Laura Willis and Scott Corwin? :good:

Do we know their contact information? I want to repitch the Berry Burk location first, easier parking access, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Blakes's terrific shot of the National taken very recently.

http://blake.puhak.net/photos/2007-06-07-D...es/Image37.html

I brought this forward just because I like to look at it. ;)

Wonder if the Mediterranean roof tiles will be repainted, and if so, what color?

A bit of trivia: Next time you're in the area, take a look at the freezes just under the roof. They are naked men whose privates are discretely covered by spools of movie film. :lol:

It is said that when opened in 1923, there was one ladies rest room and it only had two toilets. When renovations are completed, there will be a total of 50 toilets and urinals in several rest rooms.

I misprinted above when speaking of the gentlemen involved in the project. The first name of Mr. Willis is Laurin. My apologies.

Here's a Google line-up of acts booked at NorVa in the next month or so. I suppose they will reflect the type of music planned for The National, though this old man doesn't recognize a single name.

Deeznats, BGW and others in the know: Are these attractions hot at the box office among young music lovers?

http://buy-event-ticket.com/ResultsVenue.aspx?venid=970

Here's a Google line-up of acts booked at NorVa in the next month or so. I suppose they will reflect the type of music planned for The National, though this old man doesn't recognize a single name.

Deeznats, BGW and others in the know: Are these attractions hot at the box office among young music lovers?

There are some big names in there and some recent classics... I would say they would be a good pull for the National.

A much better, yet still varied, show lineup. I'd still only go to one or two of those shows, but the level of band is much more what I believe The National and Toad's should aspire to book.

Archived