National Theatre

Shakman

A much better, yet still varied, show lineup. I'd still only go to one or two of those shows, but the level of band is much more what I believe The National and Toad's should aspire to book.

This job has become a tease... they have partially removed the wooden window coverings from the existing building, giving the facade a nice boost.. but like I said, it is a tease. Some heavy equipment moved onto the site yesterday along with the necessary construction entrance completed... I would suspect some more heavy lifting in the next few weeks as the offices are now complete and ready for use.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This job has become a tease... they have partially removed the wooden window coverings from the existing building, giving the facade a nice boost.. but like I said, it is a tease. Some heavy equipment moved onto the site yesterday along with the necessary construction entrance completed... I would suspect some more heavy lifting in the next few weeks as the offices are now complete and ready for use.

I'm confused, journi. Are you talking about the National at 7th and Broad or the Carpenter Center (Richmond Center Stage) across the street from you?

Now that you are our Ace photographer living downtown, pictures are always welcome.

I'm confused, journi. Are you talking about the National at 7th and Broad or the Carpenter Center (Richmond Center Stage) across the street from you?

Now that you are our Ace photographer living downtown, pictures are always welcome.

Camera is in texas with the wife, two more weeks and I will be back in action. I was talking about Center Stage... posted in the wrong one, thanks for that correction Burt.

Camera is in texas with the wife, two more weeks and I will be back in action. I was talking about Center Stage... posted in the wrong one, thanks for that correction Burt.

See the new Richmond Center Stage Construction thread, journi. It will be a weekly update. I wish they would set up one for The National.

Presently, ceiling restoration is underway...pretty tedious and impressive work. Best thinking now is a January 2008 opening. And watch for a major name for the opening event.

Mark my words, The National will be one of the top 10 music venues in the nation, where major music acts will want to play. The experience for the artist will be as impressive as it will be for the fan.

Toad's Place is not in the same league.

Tonewheel, it is terrific to have a National fan aboard. I wish you had some photos you could share with us so that we could see the status of restoration. Is there any word about the name and style of restaurant that will occupy the 7th and Broad corner and the old pool hall in the basement?

In concert halls such as the National is it standard for acts to play one performance only? Are any name acts booked for extended engagements? It was said early on that only one hundred dates would be offered in the theatre's first year. In addition to performers with large youth followings, dare we hope that classical Chamber Music ensembles and theatrical events will be scheduled?

Is the stagehouse being re-rigged and will it be capable of handling dance groups? Is it possible to put in temporary seating on the slightly raked orchestra level for more sedate audiences?

I'm going to hear Ken Navarro next Sunday at Toads and am excited about the space, though I'm sure the National will far outshine Toads in comfort, class and staging facilities.

Word has been that opening would be about March. It would be disasterous to open during a January blizzard. Everything should be tested and ready before opening -- restaurant; liquor license; sound; lighting; stage; lounges, etc. First impressions are vital.

Cant wait! :thumbsup:

Presently, ceiling restoration is underway...pretty tedious and impressive work. Best thinking now is a January 2008 opening. And watch for a major name for the opening event.

Mark my words, The National will be one of the top 10 music venues in the nation, where major music acts will want to play. The experience for the artist will be as impressive as it will be for the fan.

Toad's Place is not in the same league.

Thanks for the info. can yuo say whether you are working on the project, or are perhaps involved with ownership?

But either way, this is exactly what I thought about this place. It just has all the makings of something, really, really special. A place with the grandeur and architectural sugnificance of a Fox theatre in ATL, or a smaller landmark theater, but with the cool, open floor atmosphere of a top club like 930 or Norva. Combine all the luxury aspects for the bands, and the powerhouse booking team, and I just think it is going to be awesome.

Honestly, I feel bad for Toad's. I came on here tonight to post some positive things about some of the new(and stepped up acts they are bringing in....moe, govt mule, and the hold steady). I may drop by there tomorrow to see shiny toy guns...dont lik em, just want to finally see the venue. Howver, i just cannot this town have two venues that are both going after the same market.....the national band that can;t sell out arenas and the occasional super big act. Bigger towns can;t even support two of those venues.

Maybe it will work, and this place will become a musical mecca of sorts. I just can't see it happening. But, like this guy said, i see the Nat as being something that is going to blow this town away.

I have my fingers crossed that they both can make it. The National will be a supererior facility, but Toad's has the better location. Of course, I dream of a thriving Canal Walk and a thriving Broad Street!

Well here is an idea... what if the city marketed the artist colony on the southside, and a musician's colony on the northside? Richmond is small enough and harbors a thriving liberal arts university that could support such a move. Also, not many cities can push the 'colony' idea, because they are too big and too built out. Richmond is for once in a good spot with available space and low prices... which artists and musicians tend to need in order to survive... Where there are people pursuing the dream, those who have achieved the dream come to show off...

One of our local IBEW Union contractors just put in a call today for 2 electricians to do some kind of work at the nat. It's being listed as just a 2 week job. I'm going to try and find out tomorrow who the 2 guys are that take the call, and if I know either of them, maybe see if they can get us some pictures.

Well, fellas, I sneaked around the construction barriers at The Nat last Thursday and ran into Dave Peterson, one of the owner/operrators who remembered me from a previous visit. He allowed me to roam thru the entire facility but warned me to be careful.

It is going to be a gem!!!

An elevator has been constructed running between the former pool hall in the basement to the front balcony level. The lift is in the restaurant space of the west wing at the corner of 7th Street. A restauranteur has been engaged but Dave would not reveal who it is. He did say that Millie's was approached but declined because they felt the anticipated volume was more than they wished to take on, since the restaurant will be on two levels -- the ground floor of the west wing and the entire former pool hall in the basement.

Doors have been cut from the lower and upper lobbies into both wings. I'm not sure what will go in the east wing but recall early talk about a pizza restaurant and bars. There is a ground level courtyard directly behind the east wing (which is shorter than the west wing) were smokers will be able to enjoy puffs at their own outdoor bar (smoking will not permitted in the auditorium).

The auditorium floor will be flat with a couple of raked areas and there will be at least one bar on the west wall.

The dome is no more. The new ceiling is, at the moment, a series of metal trusses stretching from high above the proscenium arch to the the rear balcony wall which formerly had windows cut for the movie projector and spot lights.

The stage is being raised about two feet from its original level and will extend outward over the orchestra pit. There will be a stage curtain and a certain amount of stage rigging.

There are test samples of the new brownish color scheme here and there on boxes, walls and the proscenium arch.

The front balcony will have banquettes and other comfortable seating and will have direct access through a newly cut door to an elegant VIP lounge/bar on the 2nd level of the west wing (above the public restaurant below.)

There will be theatre seats in the upper balcony.

I didn't get backstage to check out appointments for the performers but understand they will be exceptional including spa and cafeteria.

I am grateful to Dave Peterson for allowing me to browse thru the beautiful facility.

Well, fellas, I sneaked around the construction barriers at The Nat last Thursday and ran into Dave Peterson, one of the owner/operrators who remembered me from a previous visit. He allowed me to roam thru the entire facility but warned me to be careful.

It is going to be a gem!!!

An elevator has been constructed running between the former pool hall in the basement to the front balcony level. The lift is in the restaurant space of the west wing at the corner of 7th Street. A restauranteur has been engaged but Dave would not reveal who it is. He did say that Millie's was approached but declined because they felt the anticipated volume was more than they wished to take on, since the restaurant will be on two levels -- the ground floor of the west wing and the entire former pool hall in the basement.

Doors have been cut from the lower and upper lobbies into both wings. I'm not sure what will go in the east wing but recall early talk about a pizza restaurant and bars. There is a ground level courtyard directly behind the east wing (which is shorter than the west wing) were smokers will be able to enjoy puffs at their own outdoor bar (smoking will not permitted in the auditorium).

The auditorium floor will be flat with a couple of raked areas and there will be at least one bar on the west wall.

The dome is no more. The new ceiling is, at the moment, a series of metal trusses stretching from high above the proscenium arch to the the rear balcony wall which formerly had windows cut for the movie projector and spot lights.

The stage is being raised about two feet from its original level and will extend outward over the orchestra pit. There will be a stage curtain and a certain amount of stage rigging.

There are test samples of the new brownish color scheme here and there on boxes, walls and the proscenium arch.

The front balcony will have banquettes and other comfortable seating and will have direct access through a newly cut door to an elegant VIP lounge/bar on the 2nd level of the west wing (above the public restaurant below.)

There will be theatre seats in the upper balcony.

I didn't get backstage to check out appointments for the performers but understand they will be exceptional including spa and cafeteria.

I am grateful to Dave Peterson for allowing me to browse thru the beautiful facility.

About what time of day were you sneaking? I might try the same at a later hour and get some pics if at all possible... and I do own a hard hat, so no worries....

A few corrections and clarifications about the National from Scott Corwin of Johannas Design Group:

"The dome IS there, but it, like the upper balcony, is hidden by scaffolding. Plaster damage from years of inattention is presently being repaired. The scaffolding will remain for a while, as lighting and sprinklers are installed, and then there will be painting on both the ceiling and the walls upper friezes. It will probably not come down for quite a while -- almost to the conclusion of the project."

[so, what I thought were trusses for a new ceiling are scaffolds.]

Scott continues:

"Bars will be at the rear of the auditorium, on both the east and the west sides. There will be a bar on the second floor east side, accessed from the lobby and the east vomitory." [Vomitories are aisleways between rows of seats and/or walls in theatre-talk.] "The VIP's will have a separate bar on the southwest second floor." [i think I was right when I said in above comments that this VIP bar/lounge is directly above the restaurant space.]

"Also, the restaurant is fire-protected from the theater, although the elevator [in the west wing] will serve both. The connection is temporarily for construction ease."

Thanks so much Scott for correcting my observations -- especially about the ceiling!

NOTE TO JOURNIYIN: Scott Corwin of Johannas Design Group is going to be in the building around 3 o'clock this afternoon. Maybe he will let you in on behalf of UP.

"

A few corrections and clarifications about the National from Scott Corwin of Johannas Design Group:

"The dome IS there, but it, like the upper balcony, is hidden by scaffolding. Plaster damage from years of inattention is presently being repaired. The scaffolding will remain for a while, as lighting and sprinklers are installed, and then there will be painting on both the ceiling and the walls upper friezes. It will probably not come down for quite a while -- almost to the conclusion of the project."

[so, what I thought were trusses for a new ceiling are scaffolds.]

Scott continues:

"Bars will be at the rear of the auditorium, on both the east and the west sides. There will be a bar on the second floor east side, accessed from the lobby and the east vomitory." [Vomitories are aisleways between rows of seats and/or walls in theatre-talk.] "The VIP's will have a separate bar on the southwest second floor." [i think I was right when I said in above comments that this VIP bar/lounge is directly above the restaurant space.]

"Also, the restaurant is fire-protected from the theater, although the elevator [in the west wing] will serve both. The connection is temporarily for construction ease."

Thanks so much Scott for correcting my observations -- especially about the ceiling!

NOTE TO JOURNIYIN: Scott Corwin of Johannas Design Group is going to be in the building around 3 o'clock this afternoon. Maybe he will let you in on behalf of UP.

"

Cripes, too bad I work up in Ashland... maybe I can convince my wife to go by since she is off today. Good to know the dome is sticking around though, my jaw dropped when you said it was gone.

He didnt happen to mention when they would be returning access to the sidewalks around the building did he? Ive nearly hit 3 or 4 people walking down 7th St because they are in the street as opposed to walking on the sidewalk on the other side (which is due to the construction fencing)

Archived