National Theatre

Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see the police reports come out I might be able to give you one. The wierd thing about it was they werent local cops... nor staties from what I could tell.

Maybe they were Hollywood cops. :) If you saw any trailers and honeywagons around it could mean they were filming something on location.

Tonewheel several postings back tells us that The National will be one of the top ten venues of its kind in the country, and after my recent tour of this gem in the making I can only agree 100%. He also tells us that a major name will be the opening attraction.

I know that "major" in these times means a hot musical act loved and revered by youth but largely unknown to older generations.

I just watched a Public Television special of Tony Bennett singing duets of standards with the likes of Paul McCartney, Striesand, K D Lange, Sting, and even The Dixie Chicks.

Tony Bennett at 81 is a singer who crosses all age lines. He's still in top form.

What a class act he would be on the National stage opening night! His contemporaries would be thrilled to stand in the pit (with oxygen and nurses at the ready) just to spend an evening in his presence. And I bet a quarter youngsters would beat us old folks aside to be first in line to buy out the house at a hundred bucks top. :cry:

PS: I believe he was the opening night act at the Paramount in Charlottesville about a year or two ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Melissa Rugieri's TD story today has a header that reads "Not a Seat in the House"; 'T'aint true! There'll be about 400 in the front and upper balconies, plus about 30 in two side boxes. Including standing space on a flattened orchestra level, promoters say capacity could range from 1700 to 2000. But it is expected that most concerts will be restricted to 1500 capacity.

Restauranteur Johnny Giavos, noted for his Fan District 3 MONKEYS , KITCHEN 64 on North Boulevard and other eateries will manage the planned 6000+ s/f restaurant.

Great story here: :yahoo:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...08-31-0031.html

Tonewheel, I don't know how to post pix here either, but some of the others do -- like Wrldcoupe4, Cadeho and TBurban. I'm sure they will tell you how to do it, and I hope it's soon because I wan to see them.

Billy Joel or a name of his caliber as an opener would be a sensational draw. By the way, when I spoke of Tony Bennett singing duets with singers in the Public TV special, Billy Joel was one of them.

I hope one of our experts will tell you how to post pix here, but it's a holiday weekend and quiet.

The national's myspace page

Also, it's still under construction but this will be the National Theater's website once complete:

http://nationaltheaterva.com/

Check out the "my space" site above. In addition to pictorial suggested renderings of what the theatre/music hall may look like when completed, shots have been added of bas relief filigree from various parts of the theatre, including photos of wall decor in the "children's" room off the upper lobby.

The Nat's web site still reads "coming soon."

Check out the "my space" site above. In addition to pictorial suggested renderings of what the theatre/music hall may look like when completed, shots have been added of bas relief filigree from various parts of the theatre, including photos of wall decor in the "children's" room off the upper lobby.

At least myspace is good for something... both Blackfinn and now the National are using it successfully as an advertizing tool... and it is FREE!

• 2 weeks later...

Style has an exciting article about the National which is scheduled to open in January. Richmond restauranteur Johnny Giavos will be Major Domo of his as yet un-named 2-level restaurant in the west wing of the beautiful old vaudeville theatre which is undergoing a $10 million renovation.

Read and enjoy:

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15230

• 1 month later...

The National's myspace site (see several postings above for how to access the site) has been updated and now says:

"The first shows have been confirmed for the National in early 2008. Artists and on-sale dates will be posted here and on www.thenationalva.com very soon. Keep checking back for more info."

The myspace site says that artists will be booked in collaboration with the NorVa in Norfolk where, according to them, artists such as Ringo Starr, Willie Nelson, Prince, Bella Flack, Jetro Tull, Billy Idol, Elvis Costello and numerous others have appeared. There is a new photo of interior construction, but no info on Johnny Giavos' two-level restaurant which will occupy the 7th Street corner of the building.

The nationalva site still says "coming soon."

If anyone has additional information, please share it with us.

Burt thank you so much for posting this I am getting really excited about the National Theater even though so far theres more concerts I like at Toads Place but im sure the national theater will bring in some good rock bands.

Be sure to tell us about your experience when you go to Toads at the end of the month, Joey. Looking at pictures on Toad's website -- http://www.toadsplacerva.com -- it looks like their Saturday night dance parties are attracting the "beautiful people."

I can't wait to see the searchlights flipping across the downtown sky when The Nat opens. Here's hoping we get some news soon about opening date and the headliners.

http://www.myspace.com/thenationalva

• 2 weeks later...

Mark the calendar for February 9th, 2008...

According to a recent mailing, Historic Richmond Foundation (the previous owner and preserver of the National) will be hosting a black tie grand opening event featuring the Temptations.

From the HRF website:

Save the Date!

HRF invites you to A Night at The Theatre

Featuring music and dancing with The Temptations at the newly restored National Theatre

Saturday, The Ninth of February, 2008

7:00 PM

Black Tie

Cocktails and heavy Hors D'ouervres

Valet Parking

for ticketing information, please contact HRF at 804.643.7407

Ah! A GALA AT THE NATIONAL!!!

Saturday, February 9th 2008 at 7PM.

I gather this is a production presented by Historic Richmond Foundation to unveil the beauties of the restored hall to an invited audience and NOT an official opening for the public. While The Temptations might appeal to some of us older types, it is not the caliber of act I would suspect Bill Reid and partners of presenting as their inaugeral attraction.

I'm going to call tomorrow for ticket info and just may have to fly in for the event. :) Would someone please check out that phone number for me? It has one too many digits.

Burt, your assessment sounds correct. I think this event is specifically for Historic Richmond given its efforts with the building... more of a cutting the ribbon night... While it is the "grand opening" I'm thinking it's not The Grand Opening.

What is the actual phone number, Coupe? I still may come down for it.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that it has been corrected. Thanks.

Last minute obstacles are always possibilities at renovated venues. Things such as construction delays, electrical installations, liquor licenses, restaurant preparations, city permits and a myriad of other headaches must be plaguing the bravo folks behind the National's revitalization.

ToadsPlace knows a little about these problems and probably made a PR mistake by opening before all issues were resolved. It has largely overcome early adversity and is doing quite well. A new Florida-based restaurant chain called URBAN FLATS will be opening soon in the Lady Bird building that houses ToadsPlace.

THE NATIONAL, a real theatre with full stagehouse, wings, dressing rooms, balconies, lobbies, elevators, basement and ground level restaurants plus a variety of other features is a far more complicated renovation than Toads.

We all want 'em to get it right -- even if that means rebooking tentatively planned events. But I'm betting my quarter on Dickey Betts' arrival at The National on Feburary 27th. And I want to attend Historic Richmond's Gala. I hope "Mr. National", a/k/a Jim Whiting who has dedicated years of devotion to the theatre, will be an honored guest.

VIVA THE NAT!!!

Archived