More street level studios

Justin6882

In the paper today it says that Capitol Broadcasting is looking for street level space for WRAL-FM and WCMC-FM...originally Goodmon wanted to put them in the RBC building- but since it won't be done for a while, they're looking at the Boylan-Pierce building and the old Greenshields space. Also says that deal could bring other businesses to the space.

Street Level Studios

So Capitol is considering other possibilities. Among them:

* The empty Boylan-Pierce building at 216 Fayetteville St., which was bought by the nonprofit A.J. Fletcher Foundation in 2000. Goodmon knows the landlord: He's chairman of the board.

* The former Greenshields Brewery & Pub space at the City Market. It has been empty since 2004. A deal could also bring restaurants and galleries to the 14,000-square-foot space.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't

That would kill the character of the area. I want another resturant or something.

City market needs to stay retail, hence the name MARKET.

If they move in there, I might be forced to egg their studio.

That doesn't make any sense. Why? It's as though you are frightened to try anything new. I think this would be a unique idea. Give it a chance.

I also think City Market needs to stay food and small retail. Quaint, a place for tourists and locals to catch their breath. The streets are cobbled for just those reasons, not so comunications vans can rumble up and unload. I think Boylan Pearce is a bad fit too as that is one of our few cool potential retail slots. I think they should get an early bird rate on one of the new buildings like Site One. And no, I am not afraid to try someting new, I just don't think the fit is right.

I also think City Market needs to stay food and small retail. Quaint, a place for tourists and locals to catch their breath. The streets are cobbled for just those reasons, not so comunications vans can rumble up and unload. I think Boylan Pearce is a bad fit too as that is one of our few cool potential retail slots. I think they should get an early bird rate on one of the new buildings like Site One. And no, I am not afraid to try someting new, I just don't think the fit is right.

From what I understand, though, the Greenshield's building will require a sizeable investment to repair the damage & get it up to code. If the studio has the $$ to occupy the building & turn some of it into restaurant space, the compromise would be better than seeing it sit empty.

If they can add rest. space to this building, it may be ok. But to simply add the WRAL studios to that old space is very bad idea. With just WRAL there you couldn't go in, it would simply be just a view from the streets, (like the ABC studios on F. St.), I would rather had a place that at least I can go into, sit down, eat, shop, etc...God, I miss the old Greenshields Pub! :cry:

I never liked Greenshields much (food was terrible, beer OK), but damn that was the perfect location for a large brewpub. My dream is for CBC to move their operations from Holly Springs into this spot in City market. OMG, I would be there every day!!!

What is the CBC?

I disagree about the food, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere! :)

I'm guessing CBC = Carolina Brewing Company, which would be nice. Horniblows could also be a good fit there, but I think they like the easy freight access they have currently off Atlantic. I am afraid this is what is keeping other brewers out of that space as well. Ugh.

If the WRAL-FM studios were at the "Big Ed's" end, and doesn't take a corner, it might not be so bad.

The "porch" area on the east side of the building is just too good lose to a radio station!

What about the corner of Hargett and Salisbury as a temporary location till RBC is built? It is a lot of glass, and has had a hard time making it as a restaurant. Or would it be too hard to move all that equipment twice? Or the old drug store space next to the Christian Science reading room on F Street? It has been empty for a while as well, and would have upstairs office space. Is the former "Ladies Shop" space too small? It might be better suited to retail too, but there are a lot of restaurants slated for that area already.

Not sure what, if any, Goodmon/Hatem relationship exists though.

That doesn't make any sense. Why? It's as though you are frightened to try anything new. I think this would be a unique idea. Give it a chance.

It seems anyone in Raleigh who ever opposes anything is "frightened to try somethign new"

I'm not, I just beleive city market should remain a market, historical stuff and such.

But if they REALLY want to, then they can. WHATEVAH

I don't own the place.

HAHAH

The one time i went to greenshields was when i was about 9-10 and i saw tow people making out on a couch, and i stared a little bit, (i had never seen people make out before) and a waiter walked by and said "what, havent you seen people kiss before"

God i loved that place.

While I love going "unchained", I agree that this spot would be perfect for a national chilis,ruby tuesday, tgifriday, etc. establishment... It's been vacant too long. I don't want to see downtown overcome by chains, but a few, I think are good to have. I'd love to see one of the street level studios over in Glenwood South. They really don't take much storefront space, especially a radio station.

Off the original topic...

I see no reason why a chain restaurant shouldn't move into the downtown area. Be it Fayetteville St., City Market, or Glenwood South. With as many condos seem to be going up in the area, I'm sure some of the residents would enjoy the fact their would be a restaurant of that nature in the area that offers a decent variety of foods, in one place, at a pretty reasonable price. Look at New York City for example...There is a TGI Fridays everywhere on Manhattan. Sure, there are great restaurants down there, and probably plenty more to come, but specialty restaurants may not suit everyone who lives and/or attends anything downtown.

Back to the Original topic...

Seems strange that a radio station would look for a window front set up. Now I can completely understand a television station like WTVD's studio along Fayetteville St. because it makes sense. Pedestrains passing by have something to look at that is pretty interesting...a live television studio. However, not that much goes on at a radio station except someone at a desk, with a computer and a microphone....Sure you may have an occasional celebrity guest that'll draw attention...but I seriously think that if Capital Broadcasting wants to show up WTVD and their studio, they need to settle with something else for WRAL-FM, and build a window front studio for WRAL-TV.

Not to mention I LOVE CHILI's

They have the BEST fajitas, and their southwestern eggrolls are absolutely SPLENDID

a chain would be great for DT!

not fifty

but a couple

isnt the only chain thats there now mcdonalds by PECPA?

Don't forget about the TWO subways downtown... one at City Market, and one on Salisbury St. Also there's two Quiznos downtown... One in the Exchange Plaza nook on Fayetteville St. and the one over by the State Govt. Complex. Jones Street? Oh, and Port City Java is a local chain. They have several locations in Wilmington... hence the name.

Archived