Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colin

China to Build First Eco-City

colin    0

China to Build First Eco-City

I read about this in "The Economist". When I was in Shanghai, I remember Chongming being somewhat of a nature preserve and fairly inaccessible. They will apparently build a bridge-tunnel to take care of that though, and set aside several hundred acres near the delta as a wetlands preserve and a buffer wildlife refuge.

The article had a viewpoint (from whom I don't remember) that the city is not exactly self-sufficient but is also a huge leap forward for China, which has a horrid record of placing development far above the environment.

I see it as a PR stunt. They want to get it ready for an international conference to be held in Shanghai in 2010 (billed by the article as a "coming out party" for Shanghai just as the Olympics is Beijing's) and it seems to be another thing for the Chinese to show off to the cameras.

I always wanted to visit Chongming, but it always seemed so difficult. Now there's much more of a reason to go though.

dpbaker    1

Certainly interesting. It'd be nice if the Chinese really became serious about this and started following this avenue as a model for new developments. I wonder how it will really function though....

Emmanuel    0

China to build first eco-city

Jean-Pierre Langellier and Brice Pedroletti

Guardian Weekly

Imagine it is 2010. The place is Dongtan, the world's first purpose-built eco-city. It stands in the middle of the marshes at the eastern tip of Chongming, China's third-largest island, at the mouth of the Yangtse river.

None of the buildings is more than eight storeys high. Turf and vegetation cover the roofs, a natural form of insulation that also recycles waste water. The town has six times more space for pedestrians than Copenhagen, one of Europe's airiest capitals. Pollution-free buses,