Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Is Visionz in the old Record Exchange place? If so, my neighbor just opened it and I am told by other neighbors (quite gossipy around here) that its a skate shop or something....I have yet to see for myself or talk to him about it but that is what I think I know :dontknow:

No, that's a surf/skate/beachwear shop I believe.

Visionz is in the building with Sir Speedy. From what I saw thru the window, you have to go thru a long hallway to get to it. Was kinda odd. :dontknow:

I noticed the other day it was closing on the Glenwood space. Frankly, I hate to see it go. It added some different retail and I thought it fit in well with the street. Here's hoping it does well in Cameron Village. At least it didn't move to North Hills!

As for the space itself - it can lend itself to many different uses and I think its a beautiful space to work with. I can definitely see a restaurant moving in - hopefully something more along the lines of an everyday eatery rather than a special occasion kind of place.

Like Playspace before it, Cherry used that space to make a name for themselves, then moved elsewhere for more space.

Cherry is in the old "Figs" space on Peace/Clark, around the corner from the barber shop and ABC store. The space was rumored to get a Trader Joe's, but that won't happen now!

The next thing in that space should be someone who won't "outgrow" it, unless the property owner is ok with tenant turnover.

In other news, the N&O is reporting that Greenshields closed its doors in Cary. The Greenshields website says they are open while the site is under construction, but that construction may never happen.

It is sad that they were among the first in the area in the "craft/microbrew" field, but never capitalized on it.

The City Market fire didn't help, but abandoning downtown just as it was picking up was probably not a good idea.

I never stepped into Cherry, but it sounds like they're giving Porto in North Hills competition for who can charge the most for furniture. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a *car* or a down payment on real estate.... i could be a couch potato on lawn furniture if i had to.

This quote is kinda depressing -- "Raleigh leaders say the number of businesses moving into rental space on a Fayetteville Street since reopening is well beyond their expectations." What were their expectations? For maybe one new place to open? Or did they set the bar super low to be able to claim victory no matter what?

The posters on WRAL.com are quite cluless too.. "Downtown is dead" "there's no place to eat" ... umm have you been there lately? Even on weeknights?

I drove by the other night (would have walked, but was on call and had to be ready to go to RTP at a moment's notice) and the west side of F Street going north of Martin is Port City Java, the old Dollar Zone space (empty/rennovated), Mahler Gallery on ground floor/Carter Worthy real estate above, then (I think) York/Simpson/Underwood's offices (under construction, but looks to have big picture windows), Carolantic Realty, Big Easy(?), Raleigh City Museum, etc.

I agree with Chief in that it is painful waiting for the gaps to fill in, but hopefully it will be worth it. And the side (Wilmington/Salisbury) and cross (Hargett, Martin, Davie) streets need some love too, but that should come in due time.

I never stepped into Cherry, but it sounds like they're giving Porto in North Hills competition for who can charge the most for furniture. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a *car* or a down payment on real estate.... i could be a couch potato on lawn furniture if i had to.

This quote is kinda depressing -- "Raleigh leaders say the number of businesses moving into rental space on a Fayetteville Street since reopening is well beyond their expectations." What were their expectations? For maybe one new place to open? Or did they set the bar super low to be able to claim victory no matter what?

The posters on WRAL.com are quite cluless too.. "Downtown is dead" "there's no place to eat" ... umm have you been there lately? Even on weeknights?

I drove by the other night (would have walked, but was on call and had to be ready to go to RTP at a moment's notice) and the west side of F Street going north of Martin is Port City Java, the old Dollar Zone space (empty/rennovated), Mahler Gallery on ground floor/Carter Worthy real estate above, then (I think) York/Simpson/Underwood's offices (under construction, but looks to have big picture windows), Carolantic Realty, Big Easy(?), Raleigh City Museum, etc.

I agree with Chief in that it is painful waiting for the gaps to fill in, but hopefully it will be worth it. And the side (Wilmington/Salisbury) and cross (Hargett, Martin, Davie) streets need some love too, but that should come in due time.

Plenty of food in Glen South! :)

At least it didn't move to North Hills!

How is Cameron Village any different than North Hills? CV is simply a strip shopping center with a big parking lot on the "edge of town" (well, it was when Cliff Cameron came back home from WWII) that sucks life out of downtown- in fact, it probably has more negative impact on downtown retail. Something about that place has never really done it for me. :rolleyes:

Apparently the relocated Greenshield's in Cary closed. They must be really kicking themselves for not sticking with the city market location and reinvesting in it after the fire. The N&O says they might be looking for a new location...and their old space is still empy :shades: .

Edited by tjoad

Has anyone been to Capital City Grocery lately? I have a bad feeling they're gonna close.

I went there today and there seemed to be more empty shelves than full ones. Usually, I go there and am able to get at least some items that I need...today I got absolutely none! Even the Larry's Beans bins were ALL empty...every one of them.

So, either they're going out of business....or they're doing a very poor job of stocking their shelves?

I WANT to support Capital City Grocery, but I'm down on them lately.

I've tried at least 6 times to buy organic whole milk there and they haven't had it in stock (for those of you who are kid-less, this is something parents buy a lot) and the trouble of dragging my kid in and out of the car for a useless trip makes it not worth my time to even stop there. I'm always picking up other things on these trips, too, but if they're not stocking what I need, I'm just going to go elsewhere to get it all in one stop. It sucks. I doubt they're going to make it.

And I feel terrible saying this, in a way, 'cause you want to support the indie stores, but that would be a great location for another Trader Joe's.

I had assumed they would survive when they expanded their hours of operation, but yes, the last time I was there, I was disappointed with their stock on the shelves.

I saw one of the owners a few weeks back while I was shopping, & he said they were depleting stock before doing a major re tooling of the store. However, I've seen no signs of progress in subsequent visits, other than a sign stating that a rebuilt produce section was coming soon. I keep trying to support them, but it gets harder and harder as they're now out of about half the things I've gone there to purchase.

Apparently the relocated Greenshield's in Cary closed. They must be really kicking themselves for not sticking with the city market location and reinvesting in it after the fire. The N&O says they might be looking for a new location...and their old space is still empy :shades: .

I was a Greenshields fan, then they had the "fire". I just dont get it. They packed up their beautiful Salzburg copper kettles, put them in storage, and opened a restaurant in a barely functional shopping center in Cary where Chico's had just folded up after just a couple years. The new restaurant was bright and obnoxious, food was overpriced, and had NO MICROBREW! Frankly I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did without a website.

I was a Greenshields fan, then they had the "fire". I just dont get it. They packed up their beautiful Salzburg copper kettles, put them in storage, and opened a restaurant in a barely functional shopping center in Cary where Chico's had just folded up after just a couple years. The new restaurant was bright and obnoxious, food was overpriced, and had NO MICROBREW! Frankly I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did without a website.

Exactly. The beer and the cool old building were the only reasons we went to Greenshield's anyway. I believe the owner made some quote about most of his clientele being from Cary, Apex, etc. and this move would put him closer to his customer base.

Today, Capital City Grocery's windows are covered in paper and signs that read, "Closed for Remodeling," and "Re-Opening Soon" or something or other.

Yep, I just passed that this evening, as well. I hope this isn't one of those "remodeling" situations where they never re-open.

^Good catch. (Gotta give N&O's retail reporter, Sue Stock credit for staying on top of these things.)

Glad to hear they will reopen with improvements.

This quote sounds good: "When the store reopens -- hopefully by the end of April -- there will be an expanded produce department, expanded deli, more meat selection and more seating for people who wish to eat at the store."

I'd add that they should work on the frozen meal section. (Downtown has a lot of single/childless folks who don't bother cooking at home much...plus state government workers who take them to the office for lunch cuz they're too busy to take a lunch break.)

Look forward to seeing the improvements. :thumbsup: