Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

I have no idea why these "rennovations" weren't part of the initial opening.... They are expanding "prepared foods" which will probably be like the deli area of Harris Teeter, but more frozen options would be nice as well.

Ace Hardware had a few people in it when I went on Sunday, though they don't open until 1. Tookies is "now hiring" but not open yet. Seaboard Fitness looked like they were still working on HVAC more than workout equipment.

Why was this story posted to the "North Carolina" section and not business? I never would have found it if there was no link posted here!

^Good catch. (Gotta give N&O's retail reporter, Sue Stock credit for staying on top of these things.)

The real story is that Sue Stock gets lead after lead and drops most of them. For example, Swoozie's had a sign at TTC announcing their Cameron Village store for weeks before she ever reported it. Same for Monkee's at NH. However Subways in Smithfield, for instance, never go unnoticed.

She's also known for trying to strong-arm retail outlets. Kind of the "gimme first lead and I'll cover it. If you don't, we won't give you the pub..at all). There are a few restaurants who fell victim to this scheme.

Her 2 predecessors were fantastic and showed how it should be done.

Edited by dmccall

Dmccall you hit the nail on the head. Sue Stock has alot of room for improvement. I have email her several leads on new stores, only to see them written about two or three weeks later, exactly as I emailed them to her. I use to look foward to reading the retail portion on Saturday's......oh well

FWIW, we've been talking about the lack of retail spots--especially late night--on Fayetteville St... so I was at the Sheraton for an event Sat night and a buddy and I went down to Yancy's, but they always have a cover <_< so we moved on to Big Easy. I was floored how packed it was at midnight. I tried to figure the crowd out, and another friend who we ran into there said it was 'former East Villagers who grew up but still want to go out.' I suppose it's because it's owned by 3 ex-EV managers... but the point is it was surprisingly packed and with a few more night spots on the length of the street (dollar store, old hallmark :whistling: ) Fayetteville could become a real nightlife destination again after ~50 years of neglect.

I tried to figure the crowd out, and another friend who we ran into there said it was 'former East Villagers who grew up but still want to go out.'

when i go out with friends, we usually start out the night with a drink at the big easy. the crowd is exactly how you describe and some nights that place gets real lively. hopefully the places nearby can only compliment the current crowd that the big easy draws in. :thumbsup:

i do think the big easy has drawn in people that do not normally come downtown. this is just one instance but i still think its a funny story. i was there having dinner around 7ish on a tuesday night. very relax atmosphere with like 20 total customers. a group of ladies walk in and they were complaining about "how hard it is to park around here". i just thought ot myself "oohh come on, really?" :rolleyes:

Here's a neat article about the building at 124 Glenwood Ave where above is an antique store and below is the fairly new Morrocan Wine Bar, Mosaic. Samad has really done some great things with that space, and more is on the way; they are expanding into the infamous wall of, um, art ;) and adding a space for private parties. Mosaic can only be described as a success, as it's definitely captured a previously untapped market, even in the competitive Glenwood South nightlife business.

Someone mentioned this elsewhere, but Fins is open. Has anyone tried it yet?

Hi... I mentioned I went in Fins a little over a week ago for a drink, but I finally made it back Friday night to have dinner. The menu is pretty fantastic all the way around so making a decision was very tough. I had a salmon tartare for an appetizer that was just lightly charred and seved over a creme fraiche that was pretty wicked. The downside is that I could have easily eaten it in two bites. I think that shaped my decision for an entree thinking if I got the lamb it may be more substantial than one of the fish dishes (even though I wanted to try more fish). So it was served over a ragout of mushrooms, and some small diced potatoes and covered with a demi glace sort of sauce (can't remember what it consisted of exactly). The dish was incredibly well balanced... not overpowered by the sauce at all. I truly enjoyed every bite of the meal immensely.

The cons if I had to mention them is that selection of wine by the glass right now is quite limited so if you're by yourself, there's not too much to choose from (unless you enjoy being liquored up like I do). They mentioned that the list will likely change as they are just ramping up their service right now. Also the food prices seemed quite reasonable for the quality, but the appetizer portion was just such a teaser. I highly suggest making the trip though... the interior is just incredible, and I can't say enough about how good the food is. Hope that helps and I'll see you all down there.

^Thanks for the info.

Fins sounds like another good place that can be a draw to downtown. Especially since they probably built up a fanbase in North Raleigh who will hopefully follow them to downtown, including some people who never/rarely came downtown beforehand. :)

I went to Fins last night, before heading to PE Center for High School Musical (needed a cocktail before being in that big room full of screaming 'tween-agers). The place is pretty incredible. What struck us was the feel you get walking in off the street into a beautiful restaurant in a downtown building. There are few places downtown that you get that feel. They seem to have a nice bar area (will try that Sat. night before going to see the latest REP show) and make a great cocktail. I can recommend the passionfruit martini. Great service, great food and we could park above and walk to the restaurant and the show and not move our car. Love it!

Edited by Beth Y

- what is going into the street level space in Heilig/Levine, the storefronts on Hargett east of Wilmington, and the former Ladies Shop?

I asked a construction guy and he said he thinks the Helig Levine retail space is not leased, although he said the space was designed for a restaurant.

I know that space was supposed to be the "soul food" Kitchen restaurant, but then that fell through.

There was a rumor that the Neomanade people were going to set something up there, but I don't know if that came to pass either.

There might be a bar/club in the "open" space inside the L formed by that corner, with access via Hargett, but I don't know if anything came of that either.

Neomonde rumor is true! Better yet, it's going to be more modern/stylish than their other places. I think they're looking at a Fall opening. I don't know about the club, but Neomonde's will have outdoor seating.

Anyone have the ETA for Dos Taquitos? I'm looking forward to having that downtown!

Neomonde rumor is true! Better yet, it's going to be more modern/stylish than their other places. I think they're looking at a Fall opening. I don't know about the club, but Neomonde's will have outdoor seating.

Anyone have the ETA for Dos Taquitos? I'm looking forward to having that downtown!

Nice! I always thought Neomonde could really expand their appeal with a better location than behind the RR tracks off hillsbrough. I am certain that I'll be a loyal customer once they move.

I might check with the construction guys on Dos Taquitos today. By the look of things, I would guess a few months to go.

I just spoke to the Dos Taquitos owners the other day and they're shooting for an August opening.

Riviera just opened their bar/lounge upstairs area. I took a peek the other day and it's great! Pretty similar to their dining room (decor-wise) but with a curved bar and couches. I've been told it's going to be open late certain weekdays + the weekend of course.

Can't wait for the new Neomonde!!

nice chunk of activity for this area now with Riveria, Times (X2!), Dos Taquitos, and Neomonde. Ties City Market to Fayetteville st too. Can't help but notice how wonderfully activity has to stop, going north as soon as you reach State Government...

I would love a downtown bookstore, especially something that's a hang-out, too- think Regulator on 9th St Durham. When I lived in a bigger city, I would check in to a bookstore during a walk...now, whenever I make the drive- I feel obligated to buy something just to make it worth my time.

Imagine being able to pick up a gift or a new release on your lunch break. Even better- after work: killing time with a beer at the Times, then walking over for a book reading, then going just another block to Neomonde or Fins for dinner!

Everyone should petition Quail Ridge and someone with the right space for it. Maybe the Dollar Zone building? Something on Wilmington?