Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Someone has plans for the old "Button South" & "The Warehouse"

Anthony, who is the chief executive of Raleigh real estate services firm Anthony & Co., and two partners paid $1.5 million for a 34,000-square-foot warehouse turned night spot at 215 W. Cabarrus St.

The building is known for its most prominent former tenant, The Warehouse, a restaurant and nightclub that promised to transform the city's warehouse district before crumbling into bankruptcy five years ago.

Anthony hopes to revive the building as a live-music or comedy venue.

Noticed last week that Catch 22, the clothing store on S Glenwood is now open.

Looks like an alternative/funky clothing store. Also, Edge Office Furniture opened across the street where Cherry used to be.

PRs is more of a neighborhood bar that happens to show sports (especially soccer) than a Sports Bar. Sports Bars are places like Playmakers, Sammys, the Ale Houses, etc. that make their money by selling a lot of people cheap beer, wings, and other bar snacks.

Hurricane is ok for what it is. I went the weekend before last and it seemed the decision to not serve draft beer was made to make it easier on the bartenders and/or wait staff. There are a lot of tvs, and a mechanical punching bag to show off to friends, so it might make a go of it. The glass "bowl on countertop" sinks in the bathroom threw me off. The country bar next door was pretty empty. The mechanical bull did its thing without anyone on for the ride and a few people here and there. Soho, the dance club, seemed to be sparse by design. A DJ booth, a bar, and a few couches to watch the "dance floor". There were a couple of TVs to watch, which was good since few people were dancing. To me it was a good alternative to the "get dressed up and go to a club" scene, but it seemed few other people wanted that alternative. We might have been too early (11:30-midnight) but Ess and Mosquito seemed a lot louder/busier.

I saw there was some upfit work going on in the Dawson, but didn't see any clues as to what would go there. It does seem well suited for gallery/studio space. Hopefully other buldings will similarly liven up their street presence.

Vintage 21 used to be above Five Star, then moved to a block north of Hillsborough on Oberlin when TTA bought the Dillon warehouses. Now they are back downtown in the pool hall piece of the old Jillian's space. It appeals to the younger/college crowd that doesn't want a "formal" church environment. I don't know what denomination it is, but anything that brings people to the downtown and the warehouse district outside of the 9-5 workweek, evening dinner, or late night bar periods.

It will be interesting to see what ends up going in the old Coke bottling plant where the button south/warehouse/gemini was... How did the silverware, kitchen equipment, etc. not go with the demise of any of the past tenants?

There have been signs for "Paul's Downtown" for a few months, but I've never seen it open. The parking lot across Cabarrus isn't coming back, as that will be the access to the new CC/open space. If the county will make the parking deck within "The L" free on nights and weekends, parking won't be an issue. Otherwise, there area a lot of late night businesses already in the area -- Deep South, the Depot bars, and White Collar Crime -- and a limited amount of streets with available parking.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mint plans to open up next month according to their website. The place looks great and am anxious to see their menu.

Does anyone also think that this should be the last mid to upscale restaurant opening up downtown, for at least another year? Maybe it's mostly anticipation for the convention crowd next year, where people are putting their check on the company credit card. Definitely gives downtown a good impression though.

Edited by cophead567

^With the place in the City building on Fayetteville opening in a few months too, I also thought its time to ratchet back the white tablecloth places a bit. I was thinking the next phase whould include another Borough type place in the ground floor of Hue. There are so many places now I can barely find time to get to my regular spots like Humble Pie and Porters

The Mint *is* the place opening up in the city of Raleigh's building. I think December is a bit ambitious, but more power to them if they pull it off.

I think the loss of Nana's chophouse could be the Mint's (and Fins) gain. Other than the Pit (barbecue near the Depot) and Poole's Diner's reopening (hopefully Borough meets Ashley C. food), Warji at Hargett/Salisbury, the next openings will be closer to the opening of the convention center. Whatever opens in 222 might come online by spring/summer next year, but that would be pushing it.

The current lineup of 18 Seaboard, Fins, Sullivans, Second Empire, etc. in the higher end market should be plenty until the new CC and RBC come online.

With the exception of Sullivan's, its good to see that Raleigh is cultivating its own homegrown higher end restaurants-it seems to be a very prevalent (and good) trend in the Triangle. If I never went again to Capital Grille, the Palm, Morton's, McCormick and Shmick, etc. etc. etc. that would be fine by me.

The Mint *is* the place opening up in the city of Raleigh's building. I think December is a bit ambitious, but more power to them if they pull it off.

Man...I need to wake up....One Exchange Plaza.....I saw "One" and registered that as Site One....despite the fact that Site One has yet to officially break ground......thanks for the clarification webguy.....

With that info I think having the best white tablecloth places near and on Fayetteville is a good thing. The Warehouse district should retain some grit...maybe Nanas not making it reflects that natural tendency...with Fins and Yanceys nearby too, the center city will have a very formal foundation with the Progress Energy Center anchoring the area and Capital Club and Cardinal Club being well established.

I checked out Hurricane last night. There was decent amount of people in there, but the noise level made it seem as if there was double the crowd. I know it's a sports bar, which I'm very familiar with, but the combination of the all the hard surfaces (stainless steel everywhere), the annoying punching bag machine, the overly loud tv commentary, and a few loud patrons made it incredibly difficult to have a conversation with the person next to you.

I also don't understand what's up with the lack of draft beer. Their bottled beer selection was pretty poor as well. Their wings are actually pretty good though.

Was walking DT today and noticed that Empire's Carolina Trust Bldg on Fayetteville St--IIRC next to Mahler Bldg and Port City Java--was being worked on in some capacity. The doors were open and I peaked in... tall ceilings, pairs of cylindrical support columns line the interior... there's definitely plenty of space in there for a nice bar or restaurant. I'm not sure we need another restaurant in that location though. I'd like to see a cool bar and funky open offices up top. With the Times Bar expansion going in nearby on Hargett (it's always packed), you'd think there's a market for something in the same mold.

BTW, how much do you want to bet parking issues are what's preventing many of these bldgs from being leased? We've got to let the off-street parking requirements go, and allow these historic buildings a fighting chance.

Was walking DT today and noticed that Empire's Carolina Trust Bldg on Fayetteville St--IIRC next to Mahler Bldg and Port City Java--was being worked on in some capacity. The doors were open and I peaked in... tall ceilings, pairs of cylindrical support columns line the interior... there's definitely plenty of space in there for a nice bar or restaurant. I'm not sure we need another restaurant in that location though. I'd like to see a cool bar and funky open offices up top. With the Times Bar expansion going in nearby on Hargett (it's always packed), you'd think there's a market for something in the same mold.

BTW, how much do you want to bet parking issues are what's preventing many of these bldgs from being leased? We've got to let the off-street parking requirements go, and allow these historic buildings a fighting chance.

Boylan-Pierce next to Briggs, has been partialy renovated for several years and it seems lack of parking to go with the office space being marketed is what is hold them back.

Went to the Retail Rountable panel at the Urban Land Institute. One of the panelists gave a list of the types of stores that consumer surveys show to be most in demand. Bookstores topped the list. I think this would be unwise choice at this precarious point in Downtown Raleigh: you can go one of two ways with bookstores, a corporate chain or independently run. A corporately-owned bookstore is a soul-killing place, its anonymity and universal sameness running counter to the spirit of the books it houses. An independently-owned bookstore is a wonderful place, but is facing extinction - how many of them can you cite in the Triangle, more than three (Regulator, McIntyre's at Fearrington, and um.... right, case in point)? People don't appreciate smaller bookstores because they can go to the big book warehouses (B&N, Borders) and be instantly gratified finding the book they need. Smaller stores can special order, but people are impatient. But anyway, how are they supposed to maintain an enormous inventory the big box bookstores are driving them out of business? I think a bookstore of either persuasion is too risky for downtown.

Despite the constant ranting that Raleigh is nothing but chains, Quail Ridge Books is within the city limits, off Wade Ave near Whole Foods. And don't tell White Rabbit Books on Martin Street that bookstores are too risky for downtown Raleigh. Just because Durham couldn't/didn't support their location does not mean they all closed. Also, if Fearington is part of the Triangle, then Brick Alley Books in Hillsborough counts too.

Does a potential downtown bookstore have to only sell *new* books? The one in Durham near what was Jo and Joe's has been around for as long as I can remember, and Books Do Furnish a Room near 9th Street, and the used bookstore on 9th Street proper seem to do ok. To say nothing of Reader's Corner and Nice Price Books on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh. And Ed McKay's on Capitol Blvd near the 401 split, though it will move in the new year across the street from the shopping center it used to be in, the one with the Chuck E Cheese. The closest libraries are the Rainey branch on New Bern and the Cameron Village location. They are both nice but are not considered part of "downtown". The computer terminal branch in the first floor of the Wake County building on Fayetville Street has only a few books to check out. The upstairs part of Morning Times could house a decent number of used books, but I think it gets used as a private party space too much to make a go of it there.

A used book store/coffee shop/performance space combination could do well downtown, though the rent per square foot make such an enterprise virtually impossible. A Borders or B&N could afford the rent. Opening near the new CC could give convention-goers something to do. Would Cooper's Barbecue, Lincoln Theater, Sosta Cafe, and Fins all become soul-killing if a bookstore opened nearby in Site 1 or the Edison?

The off-street parking requirement should be non-existent, or close to it, for any businesses in the "F Street corridor" between Wilmington/Blount? and Salsibury/McDowell.

Also, the short, private decks off Salisbury Street provide a lot less parking than the taller decks off Wilmington. If the city wants more parking downtown, they should partner with the McClatchy/N&O to build a new, taller, interior deck with public parking after hours (minus a section saved for their staff) on the Hargett/Salisbury/Martin/McDowell Block. Once the L's deck is online, the Wake County deck around Garland Jones can be redone as well, hopefully saving the adjacent buildings in the process.

I was somewhat excited when the boards went up around Boylan-Pearce, but that was several years ago. I don't know if they never found a tenant, financing fell through, or something else.

Times Bar, Riveara, the Big Easy, and Yancy's seem to be doing ok so far, but office tenants usually want parking space guarantees. Though parking might be why clubs haven't made a go of it in the old Martin Street Music hall space.

Sorry for the short notice, but for those big on supporting good independent retail in downtown, you might wanna check this out: http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive...niversary-sale/

Stuff Consignment on West Martin Street is having an Anniversary Sale (& Party) tonite. Definitely worth checking out if you can. :thumbsup:

Someone has plans for the old "Button South" & "The Warehouse"

Anthony, who is the chief executive of Raleigh real estate services firm Anthony & Co., and two partners paid $1.5 million for a 34,000-square-foot warehouse turned night spot at 215 W. Cabarrus St.

The building is known for its most prominent former tenant, The Warehouse, a restaurant and nightclub that promised to transform the city's warehouse district before crumbling into bankruptcy five years ago.

Anthony hopes to revive the building as a live-music or comedy venue.

Looks like an alternative/funky clothing store. Also, Edge Office Furniture opened across the street where Cherry used to be.

Jim Anthony's son is one of my best friends. I've talked with him (his son) briefly about The Warehouse, but nothing substantial about what will be going into the building and its long term plans. With the approval of Mr. Anthony, I will be glad to give you guys updates about the club/venue when they become available.

Jim Anthony's son is one of my best friends. I've talked with him (his son) briefly about The Warehouse, but nothing substantial about what will be going into the building and its long term plans. With the approval of Mr. Anthony, I will be glad to give you guys updates about the club/venue when they become available.

That'd be great. :)

Las night I noticed a small "M" awning over the entrance to the Mint and a "now hiring" sign in the window. I didn't peek inside though, so am not sure how close they are to opening. Work is also progressing on the former Hallmark store next to it.

The door to the Times Bar expansion was open, but I didn't get too good a look inside, since I was driving. It looks like more work is going on along the north side of Hargett between Wilmington and Person, but nothing other than the barber chair is visible yet. They also fenced off the mid-block parking lot, to shore up or waterproof the west side of the former nightclub building.

I want to check out the progress on The Pit, but was too tired.

• 2 weeks later...

The Times Bar "Annex" or "Smoking Times" (as shown on the door now) is open, although some finishing touches are still left to complete on the bar area... I think you can smoke or take your drink in there now until the new bar is finished. Also, there is some 'pedestrian courtyard-type' construction going on at Exchange Plaza next to the Mint, which looks to be open soon. As reported before, the old Holly's Hallmark just down Fayetteville St from the Mint is being redone, but I noticed today they are not only renovationg the existing two floors, but also adding what appears to be a third floor above... it will be interesting to see what goes in there.