Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

According to V's website, it seems like this is a parking-related issue:

Due to rezoning and construction on Glenwood Avenue we are forced to close as of Feb 1, 2008. We have lost our parking.

It's a shame for the area to lose such a unique business. The brick building next door housed a architect/design firm, and I think there was an art gallery in the basement. I'm definitely wondering what is going to be happening here.

Edited by miamiblue

Good news for downtown street office/retail space. Two retail condos at the Dawson are going to be filled. These two sites are on the Morgan St frontage facing where the Hillsborough (Reynolds) project will be built. Now, only one retail site remains available (next to The Borough). IIRC, these retail condos were for sale, not and not for lease.

2303356220098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

2202785840098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

I live in this bldg, and can honestly say that i'm greatful that oneone actually purchased those units. They have sat on the market for 3 yrs with very little interest. The agent even told me that Starbucks was approached about the space, but they were not interested at the time.

My feeling is that until we increase the street level activity along that strip during the day, most retail such as coffee shops and Subways, are not going to find this location appealing. The Campbell Law School will help tremendously.

It just occurred to me that V's parking issue was probably Peace Street Inspection and the development accross the street....not sure

Ralnative....The Raleigh (Reynolds) and Hue should help you guys alot too. The residnets plus a relative concentration of retail spots should create some neighborhood identity. And the Hampton/Aloft should generate foot traffic with conventioners treking over to the CC. I imagine they will pay HOA dues?

It just occurred to me that V's parking issue was probably Peace Street Inspection and the development accross the street....not sure

Ralnative....The Raleigh (Reynolds) and Hue should help you guys alot too. The residnets plus a relative concentration of retail spots should create some neighborhood identity. And the Hampton/Aloft should generate foot traffic with conventioners treking over to the CC. I imagine they will pay HOA dues?

Not sure about HOA dues (would be nice), but i'm certain that the aforementioned will increase the daily foot traffic and we'll see more street level retail. According to the Reynolds, there will be retail units in their bldg facing the Dawson.

Not sure about HOA dues (would be nice), but i'm certain that the aforementioned will increase the daily foot traffic and we'll see more street level retail. According to the Reynolds, there will be retail units in their bldg facing the Dawson.

When I lived up in DC there was a coffee shop/restaurant called Cosi XandO that served small plates, coffee and alcohol. Fantastic place and something like that would be perfect for the Reynolds Building with the Campbell Law School coming in.

They had these individual smores kits where you'd get a little burner and all the components... perfect way to finish off a night out around 2 or 3.

When I lived up in DC there was a coffee shop/restaurant called Cosi XandO that served small plates, coffee and alcohol. Fantastic place and something like that would be perfect for the Reynolds Building with the Campbell Law School coming in.

They had these individual smores kits where you'd get a little burner and all the components... perfect way to finish off a night out around 2 or 3.

Well the Borrough offers a similar situation, and they are doing extremely well. Every night she seems to be packing them in there. I can only imagine how busy they will be once the other developments come online.

On a personal note, I just want to see a Subway and coffee shop nearby and i'll be happy.

I love Cosi, there are a number of them in DC, and I agree that they, or something similar, would be great for that location.

Pretty sure it's due to the Hinsdale Row project, since that is the nearest parking lot... Peace St Inspection.

BTW, the Pit is open for lunch over on Davie St. Also, the old BBQ & Ribs Co location (on St. Marys & Johnson St, just south of Peace St) is making a comeback with a new seafood spot.... forget the name, but seemed my memory tells me it seemed kind of cheesy.

Also, the old BBQ & Ribs Co location (on St. Marys & Johnson St, just south of Peace St) is making a comeback with a new seafood spot.... forget the name, but seemed my memory tells me it seemed kind of cheesy.

You're right about the cheesy part. It's called "The Hook Up Marina Bar and Resort"... get it... Hook Up... and it serves seafood... ahah... :rolleyes:

They had an ad on craigslist a while ago:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fbh/530572474.html

The Hook Up Marina Bar and Resort is a fun bar with great seafood. Open 7 days a week serving 11am to 2am.

Eat Up.. Drink Up... Hook Up!

You're right about the cheesy part. It's called "The Hook Up Marina Bar and Resort"... get it... Hook Up... and it serves seafood... ahah... :rolleyes:

They had an ad on craigslist a while ago:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fbh/530572474.html

I'm not really sure I see where the "Resort" part comes in on this. It definitely seems like a super cheeseball concept aimed at the college and 20-something young professional crowd, based on the limited info we have so far. While I certainly like the idea of a seafood restaurant opening up so close to my apartment, this just doesn't seem like a good idea. I would like nothing more than for an actual business to open and do well at such a nice location. I don't know much about the businesses that preceded this one in that location, but if they all had this kind of a marketing strategy, no wonder none of them lasted. :rolleyes:

In other news, finally some talk about the Sidetrack Brewpub that will be opening up across the street from Bloomsbury. We have been waiting for this one for a while now! :alc:

Edited by miamiblue

V's -- I misinterpreted "Glenwood construction" as on the road, not the project across the street, which would take away not only Peace Street Inspection parking, but probably a lane on southbound Glenwood itself during construction. I hope it finds a home somewhere else, but I've been hoping the same for Kings (and to a lesser extent, the bar/club half of Hideaway) with little success.

The building the "The Hook Up..." is going into was a Cool Mountain Ice Cream parlor in its first incarnation, replacing an old gas station. It lasted a year, if that. It is funny that the Cool Mountain location at Cary Parkway/Tryon Road has had a lot of turnover too. After being dormant for a while, it was the Cape Fear Seafood Company (ate there once, was not that good), then BBQ and Ribs (ate there once, was ok but nothing special) and now this. I heard it was in some way affiliated with Mo Joe's "burger joint" on Glenwood, which could explain the Velveta-like name. But they've made a decent go of things there, so there might be hope for this. It would be hard to beat 42nd Street Oyster Bar, so why not try something over the top?

A sandwich place should open up in either the Hue or the Raleigh, because those plus Campbell Law plus everything else already there should be enough to support such a place, which is a different market than The Borough's. I think that area will be "sophisticated" enough to support a "prepared foods cafe" type place discussed years ago. Though I could see a Chipolte fitting in around there too.

Gandalfo's was a year or so too early, with RBC Plaza coming online later this year, the new CC/Hotel, etc. I tried to eat there as much as possible, but I was often the only person in there. I drove by their downtown Smithfield store and it seemed to be busier, which is sad. I'd like to see Quizno's move to the Wilmington Street frontage in One Exchange Plaza and be open on Saturdays, but I guess they're doing ok where the are.

It is weird that Locopops is replacing Weatherman's, but hopefully they'll open another location in the CBD if they do well, similar to their two Durham shops.

On Glenwood, Solas seems to be coming along next to Helios, but is still a ways from opening. The chocolate place will hopefully be a good compliment to the cupcake shoppe and Turkish Delights. Though the Dunkin Donuts could be the next sign that Glenwood South has "risen to the next level".

This might be just restating the obvious, but I'm getting really excited for downtown in the next couple years. Once Hue, 222 Glenwood, West @ North, and Campbell Law all open up retail will be right behind them to provide for all their needs. It's going to be interesting to hopefully see a huge influx of retail pour into downtown.

After that it will almost be a cyclical thing. All that retail will mean that more developers will want to cash in, therefore more residential w/ it's own retail on street level. Rinse and repeat, again one can hope. :thumbsup:

It is weird that Locopops is replacing Weatherman's, but hopefully they'll open another location in the CBD if they do well, similar to their two Durham shops.

Yeah, I root for Hillsborough Street as much as anyone, but even I worry if they'll do well there. Hillsborough isn't the best place to start something "new & different" in this city. (Remember the Gelato Cafe for example?) I dunno, maybe Locopops will attract that college crowd decently, as well as draw in other Raleighites from around town. Good luck to them!!

I bought a couple of bars from Escazu for my sweetheart last night. So far he has gotten into the Chipotle Chili & Vanilla and it is scrumptious! The other one is the Roasted Brazil Nut, and I'm sure it will also be delicious. When I walked into the shop it smelled divine. All of the bars seem to be 60% cacao. They also had a few novelty candies in a display case. I hope they do well!

In other news, finally some talk about the Sidetrack Brewpub that will be opening up across the street from Bloomsbury. We have been waiting for this one for a while now! :alc:

Seriously.

Their website has been updated, and things are finally taking shape. I predict this place will be a hit, if for no other reason that it will return brewing to downtown again. Oh, and it's within stumbling distance from home--uh oh... :alc:

gallery-31.jpg

gallery-32.jpg

gallery-22.jpg

^^

Agreed. Great to see the progress, and I see this place doing really well. Between the view, an urban neighborhood nearby, and a brewery being downtown again--this one should be a home run! I definitely plan to check this place out on warm summer nights.

I also plan to check out this chocalate place in Glenwood South tonight. Very exciting times for our burgeoning city!

RE: Locopops -- not only could the Gelato Cafe near Wachovia not make a go of it on Hillsborough, but the Steve's/Doug's/Cream and Bean store a few doors to the west seemed to have varying levels of success but failure over the long term. There aren't many grade school age kids within walking distance, and I don't know if the NC State crowd will be enough. But I'll check it out a time or two when they get around to opening.

For the Sidetrack, that outside seating is going to be awsome, but parking around there is quite limited... There is no nearby on street parking, surface lots or decks, which other buisnesses in the city core use/share. There is the lot donw the Hargett hill by the tracks, and I hope that is enough.

We noticed it last weekend, as well as a hookah bar that has yet to open up right next to it.

There is a hooka bar (I think still there) on Hillsbourgh Street in the old Starbucks/Baxleys location. Been a while but I enjoyed it although a lot of college kids.

Out of all the experienced I have in work and my life including a masters degree (MBA), if experience could be turned into wealth......... such as in sitting in a room around a water pipe (s), I would be a rich man ! :shades:

For the Sidetrack, that outside seating is going to be awsome, but parking around there is quite limited... There is no nearby on street parking, surface lots or decks, which other buisnesses in the city core use/share. There is the lot donw the Hargett hill by the tracks, and I hope that is enough.

Yeah, whenever this opens I've already figured out about where I'd park. The area around the Lane House at the Hargett/St.Mary's intersection has a decent amount of street parking. (St. Mary's on that block is quite wide...and Hargett has decent parking on that block too.) Not that far away, really.

Edited by RaleighRob

OK, so if there was ever any doubt, construction is in full swing in the Odd Fellows Bldg (former Est, Est, Est space) on W Hargett, and I could actually read the building plans, which clearly spelled out "Waraji" on them. The old Holly's Hallmark is progressing on the 200 blk of Fayetteville St, and the future Thai/sushi Champa Cafe is moving along on W Martin (Capital Club Bldg).

Next to capital Club, is 14 W Martin, which is the one above Alibi bar and below DT Events Ctr that has had the 'pizza... coming soon' sign for probably two years... I peered in and there was a guy doing some work in there, and it was clear something is going in there, but I'm not sure what.

BTW, on the non-food/drink shopping side, there's a cool consignment shop over on 307 W Martin called Stuff Consignment. I've shopped there a few times, and the guys are really friendly and accommodating. Check it out sometime.

It was a nice day, sunny, mid-50s, and I definitely noticed an upturn in the foot traffic in the urban core today, which was nice to see. A nice mix of young, old, and families with kids. This fall should be noticeably better with the RBC/RCC opening and new retail spots in full swing.