Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Walked by 14 W Martin (down from Port City Java) and they are moving along with the renovation of the space and it appears as though it will be a pizza place after all this time with that sign outside. Who was it that was jonesin for a new late night pizza joint? Even though it's yet another restaraunt, at least it's a new offering for downtown proper. Let's hold our breath that it's actually good!

I don't know if this has been posted in here yet, but Locopops on Hillsborough Street is open now. I am eating a Strawberry Mango pop right now as I type this. Soon to be followed by a Strawberry 5-Spice pop.

$2.00/pop, tax included already. I was only in there for like 5 minutes, but in that time frame they had 11 customers (family of 5, 3 college girls, me, and then another 2 college girls). They seem to be doing quite well for such a quiet opening. I like all the kids artwork on the walls. Makes for a very cheery feeling.

I went to check it out during a Saturday afternoon and apparently I had just missed the grand opening party the night before. This was late January some time. They have a cool setup and will play house music at night. I talked to the owner some and he said the opening was mostly a 30's and 40's crowd for the wine tasting and then late night cocktail specials. He also wanted to do low key fashion shows every now and then. I have not been back since so I'm not sure how they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they still have half priced appetizers after 10pm? Their food is very underrated. Chicken sesame lettuce wraps..yum.

Don't know about that, but if you can hit The Borough for 1/2 price apps from 4-7, then F'St Tavern for 1/2 price at 10, you can eat pretty cheap in the off hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Roly Poly could be a good fit in the old Gandalfo's space in the Hudson, next to Warji in the old SuperSalad space on West Hargett just east of Salisbury, or one of the street level condos in Palladium Plaza, but those are pure guesses/speculation.

There has been rumors of a wine bar/store in the old Ladies Shop space for a while. There has been a "leased" sign up for months, so the upfit has been for a specific tenant. It is good to see the rennovation equipment replaced by furniture!

National Art Interiors is leaving their downtown spot at the corner of Hillsborough and Glenwood. (http://www.dtraleigh.com/2008/03/national-art-interiors-moving.html)

Granted I don't know anyone who's ever bought anything there, but their window displays did add a nice touch of class to the block. And any retail leaving downtown for North Raleigh is bad thing, IMO.

Hopefully the historic structure will soon be used for something else like a bookstore or whatever. It's a very visible location at least.

Edited by RaleighRob

That window display lent a nice "downtown is pretty, its safe, its normal" feeling to residents and visitors alike. Its a high profile spot. I think with the big lunch crowds at Snoopys and Char Grill that a big deli/sandwhich counter ala Fosters in Durham would be ideal though parking is a bit of an issue there. Also that upper story would make nice apartments if its not being used for something else.

^ Parking is definitely going to be the biggest issue. I believe they only have a handful of spaces on the north side of the bldg, not enough for much retail, and the walkup retail market is still not mature in that area: Snoopys and Char-Grill exhibits A & B. It may be best as office space, or a cool live work space with a couple of apartments above, say an architects office. I think they must have a sizeable basement too. There are quite a few professional offices in the transitional area between Glenwood and Boylan, so it's not a stretch here. The space available sign must have "...must not mind loud trains" on it somewhere.

Also, 101 Cafe will be open on April 19, according to a staff person I just spoke with. Their map needs work, but it'll be a nice new cafe/lounge option for that area.

During a nice walk last night I noticed:

- no sign in Roly Poly's window, but the furniture was all gone.

- cigarette racks installed in the new convenience store space near the Hargett/Wilmington intersection, but still no signs of when it will open

- divider walls are starting to go into the Waraji space

- there has been some upftting to the narrower space that shares the building lobby with Waraji.

- Champa has "coming soon" signs in the window of the old China Market space at Wilmington/Martin. They added a wall in front of the old order/steam table space, and there are are some yellow couches that give it a "lounge" feel.

- 14 West Martin still has the "pizza place coming soon" painting on the window, but a long bar has been installed.

- 101 Cafe/Lounge in Palladium Plaza might be open? There was beer and alcohol on the shelves behind the bar, though no hours were posted. There are a few chairs on the ground floor, but most of the sitting space looks like it will be on the second floor.

- no "coming soon" signs for the Empire spaces on Hargett between Blount and Wilmington, the Greenshield's space in City Market, the old Gandalfo's space or the Depot (minus ess).

There were a fair number of people eating out and/or drinking for a Wednesday at Landmark, Riveara, Times Bar (especially outside), Dos Taquitos Centro, F Street Tavern, and even a few people at Poole's.

The National Interiors building has next to no parking. If they are starting to get more business, it will likely come from people driving, and they won't be able to handle it. If they could work out a deal with the sign store across Hillsboroguh, they might last. But the nearest parking deck is Powerhouse Square and the 222 Glenwood, which are a bit far for the type of customer that store attracts.

Though West Side furnishings started downtown at the Hargett/West corner, moved to North Raleigh near Capitol/Spring Forest and now appears to be back near downtown in a house on Wake Forest Road in Mordecai.

Damn, this isn't a good sign for Glenwood. I dunno, maybe it's because I place a high value on locally-owned independent businesses like Holly's but jeez, I sure hope this isn't the end for small stores in that area. We already lost North St Bike Shop next to her place. I'm probably overreacting, but I always thought of her place as one of the crown jewels of cool shops in the area. :(

And Firefly from a while ago....I still own three pairs of shoes from there :cry:

Glenwood suffers from a a lack of critical mass of suitable commercial storefronts. Time and time again in other cities you see that rows of turn of the century (or older) buildings create attractive, interesting, and functional commercial avenues....the article in the N&O today hinted at this a little....Glenwood has poor disjointed form along its Hillsborough to Peace Stretch for non-restaurant commercial to do much. If you had twenty Raleigh Times and Briggs Hardware buildings on each side you'd have a street that gets mentioned on ESPN during the NCAA tournament. Right now, the nationwide trend to move back downtown and in Raleigh in particular the relative safety of NW downtown and proximity to old money neighborhoods got Glenwood a bit of a free pass as the destination street for now. Hargett stands a chance of taking its place imo one day with IMAX/Marbles anchoring one end and TTA the other and Landmark, Adam Cave Fine Art, Neomonde, Raleigh Times, Morning Times, Waraji, Father and Sons, CC's, Legends, etc in between...

I don't know if anyone else has been to the IMAX lately, but they really need to renovate that lobby. The carpet and various other items of decor are starting to show their wear. That and they really need a couple of big "fun" signs (like a giant movie reel/something) on each side of that alley.

Re Glenwood: I'm not too surprised. I've often said that Glenwood just seems like it's going to trend more for dining & nightlife, with the occasional exception (salon, gym, etc). For a good retail concentration, you need a set-up where several shops can be side-by-side to allow for window shopping. Right now the best spot for that downtown is City Market, IMO.

Re Imax: Yeah, it's been there for a while now...I'm sure parts are dating. Hopefully Marbles won't let it slide too far down before doing any needed renovations. I imagine wear & tear increases when they show big-name movies.

Speaking of Firefly, I've been noticing renovations taking place at that house over the past few months. Today on my walk I saw that a sign is up - Brooklyn Heights: Spirits & Everyone. I'm guessing that the name is a combo of Glenwood-Brooklyn and Boylan Heights. Based on the sign, I'm thinking it's going to be another bar/hangout type place.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to Metro Cafe/bar (the former Tony's, and the ice cream half of Sweet Tea and Grits before that), there is a new store in City Market, knockabout, gifts for the creative class. It seemd to be "different" knicknacks, somewhat artsy. Not sure how much things cost, since they were only open till 6.

Also, the sandwich board sign for Cafe 101 was inside but said they serve breakfast start at 7. It seems to be a bit off the path/F Street to draw downtown workers, but who knows?

And my wife got an email from V's Teas and Treasures that they will be in the Purple Armchair, near Ornamenta off West street. I don't know if they will *serve* tea or just sell tea leaves and treasures.