Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Doesn't Cooper's Barbecue stay open till 6?

they have a catering service, so ive always assumed businesses like this stay open bc they are prepping for that. could be wrong.

i wish all businesses in the DT area stayed open past 6. (too many to list but a few drug stores come to mine)

I don't know what "that" is, and am lucky I didn't call the restaurant sofa. Though "sofa" would be a cool name for an unpretentious couch/wine bar. After some searching on the internets, soma could be good name for a bar/nightclub, though most people wouldn't get the reference.

It kinda sounds like a club someone wanted to open in the Downtown Events Center space on Martin Street a few years ago (burlesque and other "adult entertainment") but were shut down/denied. Not sure if that happened because downtown had an "image" to protect, or if the Foxy Lady didn't want any competiton.

I didn't know if that that was in refernce to Sono the restaurant or soma from Brave New World.

When someone wants that in response to a post that mentions two different things, uncertantity is introduced. In this example, that could be a profession of desire for Asian cusine in a trendy, urban location, or wanting something that "provides a mindless, inauthentic 'imbecile happiness'".

It is good to see mindless, inauthentic imbecile happiness has been acheived.

I don't know what "that" is, and am lucky I didn't call the restaurant sofa. Though "sofa" would be a cool name for an unpretentious couch/wine bar.

Right before I moved out of South Florida a new sports bar/nightclub opened called Sofa Kings. Their radio ads went something like this: "It's Sofa King cool!" :rolleyes: If this doesn't make any sense, just say that line out loud, but I wouldn't necessarily do it at work.

According to New Raleigh, Zely & Ritz and Sushi Blues are removing their front parking areas to accomodate a large outdoor seating area. :yahoo: Elminating parking spaces for people spaces is always a good thing in my book! There's only a handful of spaces there anyway, and having those spaces creats more problems with cars driving through trolling for spaces than it's worth in keeping it as asphalt. Also, several more on-street spaces will be available across the street when 222 Glenwood opens this summer... plus there's the parking lot behind the building, 510, 222, etc. It may not seem like a big deal, if you are used to walking in that area as I am, this will reduce the potential for pedestrian and vehicle conflicts, add the the allure and market of restaurants, and make this strip more in keeping with the urban vibe on the rest of Glenwood South.

I can't recall if I posted this before, but 101 Cafe & Lounge is now open at Palladium Plaza. The interior is super modern and worth a look for a drink, coffee, or whatever...

I went in Locopops Saturday for the first time. Yep, very plain on the inside as others have noted but business was great. I was there about 15 minutes and a dozen other people were crammed in there eating pops. Those are very unique treats, and definitely worth a visit on a hot day. I'd love to see one say in the little Hargett St space that Cuba used to be in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd heard that Cody's chinese restaurant on Glenwood was closing, but I saw new signage this morning reading "Thaiphoon." Anyone know anything about this? Did they decide to stay open & revamp, focusing on the Thai side of their menu, or is this new ownership altogether?

I'd heard that Cody's chinese restaurant on Glenwood was closing, but I saw new signage this morning reading "Thaiphoon." Anyone know anything about this? Did they decide to stay open & revamp, focusing on the Thai side of their menu, or is this new ownership altogether?

New ownership, which I think can be nothing but an improvement. Hope the new owner improves the sanitation over Cody's, which perennially flirted with a "B" rating...I never had to look...if they had the big potted plant in front of the sanitation grade, it meant it was a B that month...

New ownership, which I think can be nothing but an improvement. Hope the new owner improves the sanitation over Cody's, which perennially flirted with a "B" rating...I never had to look...if they had the big potted plant in front of the sanitation grade, it meant it was a B that month...

That's pitiful. There's no excuse for a B in a reasonably modern building.

Speaking of Thai, there's already Champi Thai Cafe at Martin/Salisbury... I mentioned it before, but it may have gotten buried among the other comments. I went there recently and enjoyed it. The spicy basil chicken was nice, but it was chopped up a bit too much... tasted very good though. Champa gets my seal of approval, but will be much better if they stay open later than 6pm and on weekends. I was told they are thinking about it.

Ditto on the indian food!

^ Yeah I think you mentioned it.

I think lunch-only places don't tend to get folk's attention in this forum nearly as much as places that do dinner.

I can understand places in the downtown core not wanting to do dinner on say, Monday or Tuesday. But not even for Thursday, Friday and Saturday? You're just missing out on good potential business there!

Edited by RaleighRob

^ Yeah I think you mentioned it.

I think lunch-only places don't tend to get folk's attention in this forum nearly as much as places that do dinner.

I can understand places in the downtown core not wanting to do dinner on say, Monday or Tuesday. But not even for Thursday, Friday and Saturday? You're just missing out on good potential business there!

I agree. Regarding Champa....I live, but don't work, downtown. I have to order over the phone when leaving work and pick up my food right before they close. The food is really good, but I'd much rather just walk over there and have dinner around 7.

has anyone noticed Vintage Nation on Wilmington Street above House of Style? I never noticed it before, went up and a cool vintage clothing store is nestled up there. Its almost all womens clothes but a good half of the place also sells plants.....tons and tons of plants. One of the owners also said they are planning on carrying retro furniture soon too. They told me they have been there months and are managing to pay their rent so far. If you like vintage clothes, check them out...its probably along the lines of Father & Sons clothes upstairs.

I've been down that stretch of Wilmington plenty of times and always wondered why the second floor (and basements) of those buildings aren't used. Or in the case of the Raleigh Sandwich Shop, why no one has fixed it up since the fire close to ten years ago!

While walking around there on Saturday, I noticed City Mart, across Wilmington from the Hudson has been renamed Taz and is expanding into a second storefront. Not sure how long they'll be there since the Edison will go there eventually. But they are a lot closer in opening the second location, a block or two north near the Wilmington/Hargett corner. It seems like overkill, but could be a good move to keep competition away.

Also, Martin Street Pizza appears to be close to opening as well. They had a self-serve soda fountain (Coca-cola products) installed and several tables.

And the N&O is reporting that the State Soda Shop in the Lawyer's Building is closing soon, since the Lawyers Building is going to be knocked down soon to make way for the new Wake County Hall of Justice soon. I never ate there, but always meant to. It had operated in some form for 80 years or so!

Stopped by today and I'm told Martin St Pizza opened last night. I got a takeout menu: looks like they serve NY-syle pizza, italian sandwiches, and salads. The guy said they make everything fresh in house. There's a bar on the right hand side as well--didn't see what's on tap. I asked about the hours... they'll be open 7 days, roughly 11-4 & 5-10pm (9pm Sunday)... website coming soon, they say. We now have a legit downtown pizza place (not just sushi) open nights and weekends! Sweet!

Maybe this will be a little activity spot (like near Raleigh Times now) with Champa, Alibi, Martin St Pizza, and whatever fills the old Martin St Music Hall/DT Events Center space upstairs... stretching around the corner to Port City Java, and the retail being built (restaurant/bar/gallery space) on F-St.

Also, work is definitely under way at the Heilig-Levine space at Hargett/Wilmington, otherwise known as the future Lebonese restaurant, Siti. They were framing up some walls as I walked by. For those that don't know, Siti is a Hatem/Neomonde restaurant partnership, and if it's anything like his others, we should be pleased.

This is some of the best downtown retail news I've read in some time. A place selling a wide selection of beer in walking distance....and a butcher shop on the way on the same street. The Taz convenience store will open this Friday, and he plans on opening two more stores downtown, one being an old school butcher shop.

http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive...-open-july-4th/

Taz II/Taz North was open last night! I didn't stop in but hope to tonight. I want to see how wide the beer selection is vs. the older store.

I didn't go by the original, but could see the lights on in the expansion side from the Davie/Wilmington corner.

It will be great if Taz can pull off the 4 stores concept, especially if one if a market/grocery. I could actually swing by after work and pick up a few things for dinner on my way home (WALKING).

Also, Loft 135 is open above Riviera. It's supposed to be more of a lounge type of atmosphere, rather than a dance club.