Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Anyone been to Capital Grocery lately? It is not looking good. I am sorry to see this happening again.

Was there two weeks ago, aprox, and there was a good number of empty shelves. But that's not surprising seeing as inventory has always been their biggest weakness. (IMO)

Riviera has closed it's doors. Too bad for them. It was never my favorite place, but always on the list of potential food/drink spots. I do think it won't take too long for someone to re-open in that space. "Hatem's corner" has become a node of activity in the DT core, and I expect someone will capitalize on it... though it may take some time with the economy in the crapper.

expect someone will capitalize on it... though it may take some time with the economy in the crapper.

I think something that is priced a little more like the Times Bar or typical Mexican restaurants would do really, really well there. I'd much rather open a restaurant in that spot than on F St. or near the Convention Ctr.

No matter what the media keeps saying, good restaurants around here are still very full.

Edited by dmccall

I think something that is priced a little more like the Times Bar or typical Mexican restaurants would do really, really well there. I'd much rather open a restaurant in that spot than on F St. or near the Convention Ctr.

No matter what the media keeps saying, good restaurants around here are still very full.

I agree 100% and have said so in several beer conversations lately...some at Times actually.

I think a Soul Food restaurant ..something like Lupi's in Charlotte woudl work. Or maybe something like a Brazilian corner restaurant which serves Meat and rice along with other extras like soups and vegtables. Very casual and can eat a good meal for an average of $10 (without beer). To be honest, the little one story building right down from Slims on the corner would be the best place for the Braziian type corner restaurant. Make it so the windows will open up and have large tables. Kind of place you would see in Sao Paulo or RIO/Ipenema. Basic steak, chicken or Porko with some rice and some vegtables? Oh yea !!!! Stop buy and drink a cold beer and watch a futbol game !!!

Carolina Ale House coming to Glenwood south.

I like the Ale houses. They do very well. Turkey Pita with soup is a great choice.

Carolina Ale House coming to Glenwood south.

Cool. That site has been available for quite some time. I also really like the Ale House brand and think it will fit in just fine on the street.

In case folks aren't aware, the site is next to Globe & Red Room (see this map). I also recall seeing a rendering by New City Design posted somewhere on the forum of a potential rebuild of this structue into something infinitely more interesting. (I can't recall where it is.)

Cool. That site has been available for quite some time. I also really like the Ale House brand and think it will fit in just fine on the street.

In case folks aren't aware, the site is next to Globe & Red Room (see this map). I also recall seeing a rendering by New City Design posted somewhere on the forum of a potential rebuild of this structue into something infinitely more interesting. (I can't recall where it is.)

It was "The Wave", and it was discussed on pg 1 of the Solas thread. I can't find those wave renderings on New City's website anymore.

Ok, I hate to seem like I'm against poor people, but when is the City going to relocate the low-income housing residents out of that tower on Glenwood South and sell that huge piece of land off to developers.

It just doesn't fit the area anymore. Time for it to go.

Over 2 acres of land generating no tax revenue in a high growth area.

It would be nice for variety's sake if Taverna Agora is one of the other two restaurants in the 500 building. It has been a while since I went there, but it was good every time.

It is sad that the soul food concept orginally proposed by Ashlee Christenson/Greg Hatem in the Kitchen (where Sitti is now going) never got picked up anywhere else. I would think it would do well somewhere around where downtown meets Shaw, in the Blount corrdior. Wilmington may get too pricey if/when Charter Square is built. With Yancy's gone and Zydego seeming to focus more on "bar" than "restaurant", there could be demand for such a place.

Also, Global Toast has opened. It seems to be a bar tacked on to Sam and Wally's in the Salisbury side of Two Hannover/BB&T. I walked by it on Sunday, and then noticed a brief mention in the N&O's Taking Stock column. It sounds like they'll use S&W's kitchen to offer food at night, but there were no hours posted on the door. They seemed to have a well stocked bar, but it was very small. With two other hotel bars nearby -- The Bar in the Sheraton and Posta's in the Marriott, it may be hard for a third similar establishment to make a go of it. But its proximity to the Convention Center may help.

And they stenciled the door of the Remedy Diner, and it looks like a bar has been built along the wall closest to Blount Street and Marbles, but that was peeking around the paper in the windows.

It would be nice for variety's sake if Taverna Agora is one of the other two restaurants in the 500 building. It has been a while since I went there, but it was good every time.

Nice idea...some Greek food downtown would be great.

Make the other one an Indian restaurant, and we'll finally have just about every major ethnic food you can think of downtown! :thumbsup:

Is 500 Glenwood the old Pine state Dairy Administrative offices (across the side street--Johnson?) from the Creamery? If that's the one, then mercy, what an ugly building...hope he strips it down to the girders...

It is...and you'right, JeffC :)

Sitti is hoping to open Monday. When I talk to people about the Riviera they said that they always assumed parking was a hassle. Hopefully Sitti will remind people that there is a deck across the street that is free at nights. (this is why we need to institute my neon "free" program!!)

When people couldn't count on getting the basics at Capital City Grocery, what incentive was left to shop there? I am all about supporting the local/smaller businesses, and I went there if I only had a few things to get or a quick something that didn't warrant a major trip. Yet I walked out empty handed half of the time. Lately I've been going to the MLK Kroger (which isn't "downtown" enough for WRAL, but neither is Cameron Village), which is pretty good, but far from a small, local operation.

I noticed Sitti had a lot of tables full during lunch on Tuesday when I walked by with the dogs. I don't know if it is a public or private walkway, but there is a *pedestrian* entrace from the deck to the lot between Landmark Tavern and the old Raleigh Furniture building. With that one, Moore Square's deck, and the Alexander Square deck, there is plenty of parking within a block.

The downtown decks need LED/flatscreen signs that can change during the day to reflect their cost and availaiblity. It can read FULL if there are no availalbe spaces, the cost per hour during the day and/or special events, and a big FREE when applicable. Neon is sooooo 20th century.... LOL

Is there any news/rumors as to what will go in the old Riveara space?