Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

I would say that part of the problem with the powerhouse building that formerly housed Southend Brewery and Prime Only is that it's too big. It feels the very opposite of intimate. Never went to Prime Only but Southend seldom seemed full - and even though they may have been having some success, they'd have to generate a tremendous amount of business to actually fill all those tables. But even when the tables were mostly full, the place somehow still felt empty and cavernous, and I don't think people like to go to restaurants that are (or feel/seem) empty. Perhaps it was the way they had the space laid out; perhaps it was the ultra high ceilings. But in any case, I hope Natty Greene's does something to make the building feel full.

Joe's Place is officially closing now: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/story/1383096.html

Well that's sad. But funny, that they complain that they only get lunch customers when the menu is really that of just a lunch place anyways? I don't think they were ever open for breakfast (correct me if wrong) and that was simply not what I would call "dinner food".

Too bad though...I think it's a nice visible location.

Not really downtown, but Taste of Thai at the FOTN/Wake Forest Road split also just closed...it was my favorite Thai place...Anyone know of another Thai place in town that has Red Curry Duck on the menu? It was my partner's favorite dish, but isn't part of the "standard repertoire" of Thai places...

The N&O's initial and today's followup stories on Vin's closing seem odd. Computer problems? Really? How were they handling credit card orders at the wine store the weeks before? How were they running an online retail store without reliable computers? Was it that much better than Seaboard's Wine store or the one in Wake Forest?

As for Vin, I am not an expert but I think it would be easier to sell it *before* you shut it down, not after. Now it seems like damaged goods. Glenwood is becoming more of a "party" area, not that there is anything wrong with that. Though the higher end restaurants are starting to migrate out to make room for the likes of Natty Greens and Carolina Ale House, though 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Sullivans will probably stay put in the short term. F Street (Posta, The Mint, Fins) and/or Davie near the Depot (Humble Pie, The Pit, and Jibarra) will benefit, with Poole's in between. The vaccum shop near The Pit could have outside dining with pretty good views of the skyline if you can look past the Firestone store.

Jibarra is now open for dinner and was pretty busy when I drove by on Monday, as was the Pit.

The N&O reports that a tenant has been signed for one of the four pavillions at City Plaza. For some reason, this event is apparently worthy of a news conference, which the mayor will hold today at 11:30 to announce the tenant.

Now I wish some retail tenants would be announced for 1 & 2 Hanover. And while they're at it, make the Sheraton less fugly too.

The N&O reports that a tenant has been signed for one of the four pavillions at City Plaza. For some reason, this event is apparently worthy of a news conference, which the mayor will hold today at 11:30 to announce the tenant.

Now I wish some retail tenants would be announced for 1 & 2 Hanover. And while they're at it, make the Sheraton less fugly too.

The new tenant is Jimmy John's:

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2009/01/27/jimm...wntown-givaway/

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4424559/

They're also giving away free sandwiches after the press conference! :)

Edited by DPK

Holy sh-t! Stop the presses. It's Jimmy John's? They don't fit in with Russell Allen's bucolic 50's retro idea of what should be in Mayberry-they actually play heavy metal music in the one on 9th Street.

Sarcasm aside, Jimmy John's makes damn good subs that taste especially awesome at 2am.

Jimmy johns does make good subs but definitely not worth a press conference. Not really a retail comment but PE's new first floor awnings is coming together with a mild resemblance to the CC in my opinion. It outta fit better with the plaza.

If a Subway opened up in North Raleigh, would the Mayor show up and make a big announcement?

The city has sunk a lot more than $15 million in roads, etc around several projects -- Brier Creek, Triangle Town Center, North Hills, etc. I don't know if the mayor at that time went to all those, but there have been more than a few ribbon cuttings, etc. over the years.

The city isn't spending *any* money on the building, the kitchen equipment, etc. It is getting an immediate return on its City Plaza investment by getting the Simpson Company to build the pavilions, Progress Energy's rennovations on its streetscape (the walls are down, and it looks pretty good), etc. -- investment that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Why is it that when the same thing happens in the burbs -- Wal-Mart wouldn't build unless the city built a road to its door -- the same people who complain about this happening downtown selectively point to the suburbs as "success stories"?

It is funny that people complain about downtown not being "successful" enough to support a Starbucks, chains, etc. and then when the chains come, then it should be a non-event.

In other downtown retail updates, the Remedy Diner has a menu posted on its door -- mostly sanwiches, several vegetarian options, a daily "special" M-F. There was still paper up on the other windows, but probably not for much longer.

In City Market, the Native American store is empty, with a sign saying they are moving around the corner to Martin Street next to Subway. And there is a "fashion and wellness store" going in next to Vic's Italian Cafe.

• 2 weeks later...

Parking update:

No more all day parking along Seaboard Avenue at Seaboard Station. The city put up 2 hour parking signs this week to clear out all the state workers who park there all day. I guess the shop owners complained. Can't say I blame them.

This is a shot of the empty lots along seaboard avenue in front of what was supposed to be Seaboard 111 Condos. You can see new the 2 hour parking signs along the sidewalk.

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

Parking update:

No more all day parking along Seaboard Avenue at Seaboard Station. The city put up 2 hour parking signs this week to clear out all the state workers who park there all day. I guess the shop owners complained. Can't say I blame them.

This is a shot of the empty lots along seaboard avenue in front of what was supposed to be Seaboard 111 Condos. You can see new the 2 hour parking signs along the sidewalk.

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

Is there anything keeping the state employees from filling the parking lots at Seaboard near Capitol Grocery, Logan's and Seaboard Fitness et al?

There may be some of that, but there is actually a waiting list for people who are assigned to work in downtown State offices but there is not a parking place for them. I am not really an advocate of the pro-parking lot State employee mentality (I am a State employee) but some info invariably gets left out of the discussion. This issue would go away if several things happened.....there was more affordable (read, affordable to those making 40-60k per year) housing downtown, State salaries were remotely close to market rate (they are closer to half to two-thirds for just about everyone), or State buildings incorporated parking structures into the design (like Green Square is doing more or less). I am a fan of Seaboard preventing State employees from parking there, because that puts more pressure on these other things to happen.

This might be preemtive measure to keep non-goverment all day parkers from parking there and taking the circulator to their job elsewhere downtown.

Free parking is slowly migrating east, as people now park on Hargett near the Woodpile block and next to City Cemetary, though the walk to the daytime circulato-R is longer than the Seaboard area.

Is there any signs of life at the former Capitol City Grocery? It is probably too big of a space for one restaurant, but it could be a high end pool hall, like Jillians was when it first opened. Though opening something like that in this economy, away from the major nightlife areas -- Glenwood, Warehouse/Depot, and F Street/City Market -- isn't likely.

• 1 month later...

Lots of places opening recently... Boylan Bridge, Foundation, Remedy. The Busy Bee is coming along on Wilmington St as well (next to Slims). I've already been to BB 4 times, but haven't made it to Foundation or Remedy.

Also saw there is now a sign up at Tucker/Glenwood where the future Ale house will go with rooftop bar. Let's hope the economy doesn't stall the work, because things may be looking up by the time the extensive renovation is done.

The owner of Ale House has enough cash to proceed with that renovation without much bank help. I had not heard of Busy Bee, but a filled in Wilmington Street is a major key to all of downtown. Downtown os weathering the economy so far from what I can tell. Spend your money at the places you love people...help them through to better times...

Lots of places opening recently... Boylan Bridge, Foundation, Remedy. The Busy Bee is coming along on Wilmington St as well (next to Slims). I've already been to BB 4 times, but haven't made it to Foundation or Remedy.

Also saw there is now a sign up at Tucker/Glenwood where the future Ale house will go with rooftop bar. Let's hope the economy doesn't stall the work, because things may be looking up by the time the extensive renovation is done.

Here is the Busy Bee store front revealed finally (next to Slims)

post-4367-1238112146_thumb.jpg