Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

I used to go there for a few years... it was Capital Fitness initially. In the early years (for me '04), it was really nice, not crowded, if a bit pricey (no chain=no economies of scale). Then Spa bought them out. The price came down substantially (chain), and the management was still pretty good. In retrospect, that short-lived era was probably the sweet spot. Finally, Peak bought them, and instantly customer service went downhill (plus nickel & dimeing like charging for towels :angry: ). I stayed until my contract expired because it was walking distance for me, but left as soon as I could thereafter. I'd say it's ripe for the picking.

My old trainer said that they have been making money. They just haven't been paying their rent. They haven't paid their rent since October. Very poor business plan. I hate that there will no longer be a gym there. But, that gym had went to pot.

I am guessing because the parent company was going under despite them lucking up and buying this one awesome location.

Probably so Jones. The fact that they had over 500 complaints to the attorney generals office is just crazy. The personal training company that contracted with them was shady as well and also had tons of complaints to the attorney generals office. When me and my parnter went to cancel our memberships yesterday there were agents from Lifestyle family fitness all over the place letting people know that they were going to honor Peak contracts. It's sad that that space will be empty for a while. But surely something else will come along soon and fill it. It is a great building.

Place was never the same after Peak bought them. I bailed in the spring for Golds at North Hills, spurning various all cash up front discounted offers from Peak (and boy, wasn't that a good decision). They drove that downtown location nose first into the ground. Until Golds North Hills came along, Capital Fitness was the best place in the city. The deterioriation under Peak's bargain basement management was breathtaking.

I remember one of their poor front end sales people (who are basically hired to deceive people) talking about how many thousands of dollars they had poured into the downtown location. I asked him to name some specific projects (this was before they put the new faux wood floors in the locker room). Know what the only thing he could name? The new "Peak Fitness" sign they put on the building. I laughed out loud at him and suggested maybe they should have used that money on fixing the numerous pieces of broken equipment that would sit around for months.

One sad thing is that Peak's old Spa Health club location in North Raleigh (FON and Spring Forest), which has been a gym for decades and had a GREAT wet area is also closing. Shame Peak's mismanagement dragged down locations that had been profitable for years.

Edited by JeffC

According to Sue Stock, the Dunkin' Donuts in 222 Glenwood will be closing as of today at 3pm. That will leave Tobacco Road, Brueggers and hairdos as the only remaining retail in that building. Not to mention the large corner space that has never been occupied.

Supposedly DD will be relocating, but no word on where just yet.

http://projects.newsobserver.com/taking_st..._donuts_closing

According to Sue Stock, the Dunkin' Donuts in 222 Glenwood will be closing as of today at 3pm. That will leave Tobacco Road, Brueggers and hairdos as the only remaining retail in that building. Not to mention the large corner space that has never been occupied.

Supposedly DD will be relocating, but no word on where just yet.

http://projects.newsobserver.com/taking_st..._donuts_closing

Its moving to a space around NC State, but don't exactly where.

• 3 weeks later...

Rapid Fitness is going into the old Capitol Fitness/Peak space on West Street. Not sure when they are opening, but there was a sign at the Pit a week or so ago.

I was a member at Capitol Fitness from day one, and ChiefJoJo's post perfectly surmised the gym's ups and downs under various ownership/management. I don't know if it is a big enough space to attract a well run chain that could bring good managment with the economies of scale, and don't know enough about Rapid Fitness to give them a try yet or not.

The Golds at North Hills is nice (from what I can tell from outside), but too far to be practical for me personally.

There is a DD/Baskin-Robbins near Jimmy Johns. I could see them moving to Avent Ferry Shopping Center, or maybe the closed Dairy Queen on Western, but I don't know of any other "NC State" area they would fit in.

I hope this doesn't sour them on downtown. I could see them doing well in City Plaza, and there are announcements for two more tenants there sometime this week.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This morning on my way to work I noticed that Natty Green's (old Prime Only location) has "Now Hiring" and "Coming Soon" signs up in the windows. I've noticed that work has been going on inside for the past few months or so, but could not tell how far along things are since it was dark inside.

This is pretty interesting. Escazu will be opening up a chocolate factory downtown: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/185390.html

Article says Blount Street near Peace College. I can't think of any buildings around there that could hold such a facility, so I'm guessing a new building? Perhaps where some of those old duplexes were torn down?

This is pretty interesting. Escazu will be opening up a chocolate factory downtown: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/185390.html

Article says Blount Street near Peace College. I can't think of any buildings around there that could hold such a facility, so I'm guessing a new building? Perhaps where some of those old duplexes were torn down?

The white building in the center of this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Blount+and+Oaks+Street,+Raleigh,+NC&sll=35.793363,-78.635743&sspn=0.001997,0.005493&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N+Blount+St+%26+Oaks+St,+Raleigh,+Wake,+North+Carolina+27604&t=h&ll=35.793448,-78.635346&spn=0.000999,0.002747&z=19

Edited by DPK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He gets his credit for sure but he is hardly a pioneer. The Rockford has been there since about 1998. 518 since what 2001?, and of course 42nd street since way before then. Still love the Diner though and the willingness of a local (well, he became a local...hair splitting detail) to invest some money in this town. Getting rid of parking requirements for businesses under 10,000 sqft is a key contribution to the area that rarely gets mentioned....glad the N&O did. Residents have an interesting concern that brings up the discussion about what should a downtown be, or certain parts of downtown. I have noted that most people don't really want to live right in the middle of craziness even if they enjoy making crazy sometimes. Planners, developers and people investing money need to be able to understand that "hot spot" doesn't necessarily mean build every damn thing that comes to mind as close to the hot spot as possible. Land use applies to downtowns too.

He gets his credit for sure but he is hardly a pioneer. The Rockford has been there since about 1998. 518 since what 2001?, and of course 42nd street since way before then. Still love the Diner though and the willingness of a local (well, he became a local...hair splitting detail) to invest some money in this town. Getting rid of parking requirements for businesses under 10,000 sqft is a key contribution to the area that rarely gets mentioned....glad the N&O did. Residents have an interesting concern that brings up the discussion about what should a downtown be, or certain parts of downtown. I have noted that most people don't really want to live right in the middle of craziness even if they enjoy making crazy sometimes. Planners, developers and people investing money need to be able to understand that "hot spot" doesn't necessarily mean build every damn thing that comes to mind as close to the hot spot as possible. Land use applies to downtowns too.

No one said anything about him being the Glenwood South pioneer. When it comes to contributions to this area, he shines above the rest. All that some want to do is whine and complain about everything good that happens. He should be given a medal of honor for simply having to deal with all of the NIMBY'S.