Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

"He opened the bar in the spring of 2000, long before the area became a weekend hot spot with hot dog vendors on the corners and luxury condominiums on every block."

This quote embraces both my point and my other thought. There is a definite attitude that nobody lived downtown until Glenwood got Paramount was built and there was nowhere to go until Hanley, Rocky Top and other big timers showed up. It certainly brings in the outsiders now, but my haunts of Humble Pie, Rockford, Wicked Smile (now 5-Star) and Vertigo (now Pooles) have stayed relatively unchanged. Don't get me wrong...I am glad downtown is getting some notice now, but if hotdog carts and condos priced beyond market saturation points, define a "hot spot" then Triangle Town Center must be midtown Manhattan.

Let me be clear...I am not siding with the NIMBYS here, only taking a planner's look at the situation as should a developer. I happen to think Glenwood works best as a restaurant and bar strip. In fact, commercials strips, even in big cities, are not the best thing to have your condo right above. If people aren't buying in say West, because the ruckus on Friday is too much, then as a developer I take note and scout property a couple blocks off the strip. Sure some people want to live on the strip. Their price point is not 400k I am guessing.

So Mr. Hanley, I am glad you are here. Your pub is the only authentic feeling pub around and the diner is a great idea. Solas appeals to only a thin slice of the overall nightlife, but if it is making bank, then more power to you. I would not, though, cater to the people who drive in from Clayton and Holly Springs at the expense of the people who live downtown without hearing everyone out. There might be a valid point somewhere and besides...their buck might be the most important one if gas jumps to 5 dollars a gallon.

"He opened the bar in the spring of 2000, long before the area became a weekend hot spot with hot dog vendors on the corners and luxury condominiums on every block."

This quote embraces both my point and my other thought. There is a definite attitude that nobody lived downtown until Glenwood got Paramount was built and there was nowhere to go until Hanley, Rocky Top and other big timers showed up. It certainly brings in the outsiders now, but my haunts of Humble Pie, Rockford, Wicked Smile (now 5-Star) and Vertigo (now Pooles) have stayed relatively unchanged. Don't get me wrong...I am glad downtown is getting some notice now, but if hotdog carts and condos priced beyond market saturation points, define a "hot spot" then Triangle Town Center must be midtown Manhattan.

Hey, the real old timers like me remember when Glenwood south was nothing more than Sunflowers on the corner next the the TV repair store that became the Hibernian years later...and the commercial strip where Zelly and Ritz and the sushi place are was a couple of old bungalows.

• 1 month later...

Something is going on at the old site of "The Hook" as of a few days ago. There's some maintenance activity and what looks to be like painting with plastic tarps hanging down from the rafters outside. No idea if it's just upkeep to keep things pretty or if something new is in store.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if the "for lease" sign was still posted when I drove by earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some new place in the basement/ground floor of the Boylan Apartments building closest to Morgan. There was a reception tonight of some sort....or maybe it sells food and it was just a regular night....not sure, as I was cutting through and only got a glimpse...anyone who lives nearby know anything?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a banner in front of the "cursed" restaurant on the corner of St. Mary's and Johnson announcing that a restaurant called Ciago's is coming soon. Apparently it will serve "pizza, pasta and ales".

Ciago's is officially open. They've got a "Now Open" banner up on the fence, and it appeared to be rather busy when I drove by just a few minutes ago.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I ate there the first weekend it was open. Nothing fancy, but decent, and a bit overpriced for what you get.

The waitress said it was owned by the family that used to own Two Guys on Hillsborough, but it was a bit more upscale than Two Guys was.

There are two places in West -- Mirage, a sushi/lounge in a small door on the Harrington hillside, and "Still Life", a bar/lounge/club at the West/North corner.

Something is going into the old Dunkin Donuts in 222 Glenwood, but not sure what.

Kings should finally be re-opening soonish in/above the former Martin Street Pizza space.

I want to walk around more downtown, but it is toooooooo hot, even at night, lately. Ugh.

By the way, Capital Club 16 (the old Champa space) has been real popular. The food is decent to pretty good, but the atmosphere is imo outstanding. It feels like a 1920's hotel restaurant with reclaimed wood used for the tables and other nice touches. It is working well with Neptunes/Kings right next door, in the way that Vertigo/Kings used to be a good complementing pair....Vertigo being the old grungy incarnation of Pooles.

• 3 months later...

The Triangle threads have been dead lately, eventhough there is an abundance of development activity occuring in the downown area and in other parts of town.

Here is a list of some of the major developments underway downtown:

• Wake County Justice Center ($190 million)
  • Green Square museum ($115 million )
  • Blount Street Commons ($80 million )
  • State Employees Credit Union ($40 million)
  • Contemporary Art Museum ($5.5 million )

Other developements and retail happenings are mentioned in this article:

New Downtown Retail and Development

Edited by RALNATIVE

I haven't been to Raleigh Denim yet....have to swing by later. I saw quite a bit going on on WIlmington Street. A new convenient store is open Hanna something. Also the old House of Style space is being renovated...saw new HVAC going in today. Also saw some folks inside the old Raleigh Sandwich shop space with pens and pads. I also noticed two other places selling some bit of clothing....the place in Borough (help me out RALNATIVE) and on West I saw a rack of clothes peeking out across from Mirage in that strip-ish center.

I haven't been to Raleigh Denim yet....have to swing by later. I saw quite a bit going on on WIlmington Street. A new convenient store is open Hanna something. Also the old House of Style space is being renovated...saw new HVAC going in today. Also saw some folks inside the old Raleigh Sandwich shop space with pens and pads. I also noticed two other places selling some bit of clothing....the place in Borough (help me out RALNATIVE) and on West I saw a rack of clothes peeking out across from Mirage in that strip-ish center.

That new place at the Dawson is called Dapper something. It seems to offer hip clothing that would appeal to the demographic that frequents that area.

Also saw there is now a sign up at Tucker/Glenwood where the future Ale house will go with rooftop bar. Let's hope the economy doesn't stall the work, because things may be looking up by the time the extensive renovation is done.

Seems that Ale House is targeting an opening sometime in 2011. This rendering is a few months old, but it seems to indicate that they now plan to demolish and rebuild rather than renovate the existing structure.

glenwoodSite.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seems that Ale House is targeting an opening sometime in 2011. This rendering is a few months old, but it seems to indicate that they now plan to demolish and rebuild rather than renovate the existing structure.

glenwoodSite.jpg

Good riddens to the old building. This one looks MUCH better! On the doctor's office...that is a much needed service downtown if living there is to be sustained. Definitely has been a missing piece of the puzzle and I have no doubt that UNC and Duke will be watching to see how it does, which would mean they will jump in for a piece of the pie if it becomes successful.

Mecca is expanding their hours, among other things....Starting on New Years, Mecca will be open until 11pm on weekdays and "late night" on weekends, in addition to serving alcohol and having a whole new menu of appetizers. Great to see an old fixture in downtown prospering!

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/mecca-planning-late-night-hours

• 4 weeks later...

The old Brass Grill dining room facing Hargett (the rest of the place on WIlmington is still open) is still slowly becoming something. I noticed a new staircase has been installed inside Brass Grill assumably so that the upstairs can be split into separate suites. The old grocery store thing at Wilmington and Martin is under major renovation...all the windows are plywooded and appear likely to be replaced once the interior is done...not sure what is going in. And really a 5-points note, the old Audio Buys building is undergoing a major renovation (sorry to those who wanted it gone)....new HVAC, windows, paint....again not sure what its being upfitted for but all this is a good sign for the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed work being done inside the space at the corner of Glenwood and Jones (across from Turkish Delight) for the past few weeks. Carpenters were building what appeard to be some sort of shelving. Yesterday the windows were covered with paper that said "Raleigh Wine Shop". I didn't see any info about expected opening dates.

I think this is a good addition to Glenwood South. I live nearby, and the closest place to walk and grab a bottle of wine in a pinch has been Raleigh Beverage next to Dive Bar, which (as you can imagine) doesn't have the best wine selection in the world.

Hopefully the Raleigh Wine Shop will do better than the European Espresso and Wine Cafe now that there are more people living in 222, Tucker, West, etc.

Edited to add that I just read Sue Stock's column in the N&O and the expected opening date is sometime in April. Also, the owners include two former managers from Seaboard Wine, so they know what they're doing.

Edited by miamiblue