Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Pretty sure given the limited audience for soccer, Tir na Nog, London Bridge and Hibernian would prefer that not to happen. Dunno though....even though I've played my whole life and rarely miss a USMNT game, maybe I'm underestimating the appeal of such an idea here

• 1 month later...

When I walked by the last weekend of the ice skating rink on Saturay, I noticed The Malher (sp?) gallery is gone from City Plaza, but a poster talking about a smoothie/"health food" store inside.  Not much work looks like it has happened yet, though.

The new coffee shop in the Hue, close to Legends, was pretty busy.  They have a neat garage/roll up door that gives the otherwise boring building a nice, open feel.

Also in Hue, the mens boutique around the corner seems to have changed hands/owners but is still open somehow. And something looks like it is going in to the former hair salon between the coffee shop and Legends.

• Happy + Hale is the new healthy food store coming to City Plaza.  Should be a great lunch spot with some awesome salad options!
  • Billy Joel was at Bida Manda Saturday night and even requested a second portion of Pork Belly Soup to take with him on the flight out of town on Sunday night.  Bida Manda really has the opportunity to become a regionally/nationally acclaimed restaurant!

Two recent rumors:

• Publix is looking for space downtown.
  • Urban Outfitters is looking for space downtown.

Both would be huge to elevate downtown in different ways!  Publix would enhance the residential amenities, while UO could bring a whole new wave of retail.

Well not to over rumor it further but I was talking to a guy who works with downtown restaurants (could be one of you for all I know) and he said Urban Outfitters was looking closely at one of the spaces across from Muertos. Not sure if they are big enough or cool enough (other cities UO stores are in cavernous old buildings from what I have seen) but he seemed pretty in the mix on downtown real estate. IMO the Boylan Pierce building would be perfect actually and its first floor space would be big enough I think. Just a thought...

I personally like to see a Publix downtown. I still think that the lot across from 42nd St. would have been perfect for this, but we now know that this won't be the case.

Generally that is the right part of downtown I think though. I have envisioned locations such as Peace/West and anywhere on the stretch between that spot and Link and also the West/Hillsborough corner where an Aloft was briefly discussed a while ago. Any of those and I could abandon Teeter completely and walk to shop. I am interested to see where they settle. 

Does anyone know the retail configuration of Skyhouse?  It could possibly support a two story grocery like in North Hills, but I do not know if the plans would allow for a grocery, or if the plans call for something on the south side of the parking deck.  Part of me thinks Glenwood South is "too close" to Cameron Village, though there are a lot of new beds built or under construction near the Clark/Peace corridor from Oberlin to Glenwood. 

The Urban Outfitters in Savannah, Charleston, and Providence, RI (only drove by) suggest putting a downtown location in Boylan Pearce.  The building between Crank Arm and the chocolate factory is being renovated, but there are no 'coming soon' signs yet.  Or they could go into the old vacuum shop across Davie. 

Signs in the Moore Square side of the old Greenshields building  suggest an events/pop up space, but there already is a similar venture in Cobblestone Hall in the back half of that building.  With Zydeco out of the space, and if the Stand Up Paddling store moved elsewhere, could Urban Outfitters squeeze in there?  I do not know if all that can be reconfigured into one continuous space.  If they go the Charlotte/South Park or Southpoint new build route, they could go into SkyHouse, Charter Square, or other new construction like The L.

With H&M in Crabtree and Triangle Town Center, does a downtown location (rumored years ago) seem more or less likely?

The Subway on Salisubry has now moved across the street into the Wells Fargo building.  It almost backs up into Café Carolina.  A restaurant or bar looks like it is opening in its old space, which has added a roll-up front door.  And work continues on the new AC space on the SW West Hargett/Salisbury corner, still a few months away.

Urban Outfitters stores are typically just under 10,000 SqFt, so a lot of the existing downtown spaces are probably not large enough. Despite some of their other downtown locations being more independent of other national retailers, it feels like Cameron Village would be the logical location for them given the proximity to NC State and the likelihood of being able to get a space that fits for their prototype. 

Skyhouse won't have a grocer. The building is as efficient as possible, and they would have to do some serious modification to incorporate a grocer. The other locations have around 5-6k SqFt of retail on the ground floor, so I'd expect that. I do think you'll see a full size Publix downtown soon though. Expect a similar format to what they're doing in South End in Charlotte. 

I think H&M in downtown Raleigh will never happen. Outside of King Street and other destination retail in downtown urban cities, they're purely a mall tenant. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The argument that you need to "fill a cart" to make a grocery store work in an urban area is one of the dumbest things I have heard. I hate to break it to Mr. Ellen, who obviously has never shopped at an urban grocery, that this is bunk.

That got my attention too. In my quasi urban life I live I hit Teeter like 4 days a week for a bag of stuff each time. In fact I think most of Teeter's business is like that....very few of those once a week or month shoppers from the sticks or the cul-de-sac clogging up the lanes. Like so many people calling the shots, he can't seem to let go of the suburban model of living...

• 3 weeks later...

Could just as well go in the Person St thread, I talked to a guy in Lumina today (clothing store across from Skyhouse) and he said they are moving into the space between Yellow Dog and Wine Authorities. I also asked him about how business was doing and he said very well. He was busily packing up online orders and said the new 100% NC sourced and made polos are selling very well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where else to ask about this thread-wise, but does anyone know what is the new two story sliver of a building on Hargett going to be? Its adjacent to the old sales and classifieds department for the N&O. Nice little building actually, with a ton of windows facing west (signifying that owner may also own the adjacent parking lot). I'm pretty sure it's being incorporated into the N&O space as a single usable space though the facades will be at different depths it seems. Downtown is about 100 small nicely executed buildings away from being interesting to me. The Boylan Pierce redo, Crank Arm and the advertising place next to it and this place all fill that need to me... 

• 3 months later...

Groundfloor retail is finally spilling out into strips that have little or none so far with Lucettegrace opening along Salisbury and Runology and State of Beer opening in the 400 block of Hillsborough st soon. This seems to be a sign of some maturing going on downtown. 

• 2 weeks later...