Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

That "October Station" website is ridiculous.
:rofl:

Yeah, unbelieveable...

What's more, the atmosphere would emphasize the full-featured, well-rounded upmarket experience. It would be a place that, although somewhat casual, wouldn't be a respite or time-out from the upwardly mobile lifestyle but would be instead the epitome of it. A place where people could simultaneously relax and maintain their upward mobility. And so, whether it was the hand-picked decor accents instead of the homogenous, commercial-catalog accessories, the substitution of an empowerment-oriented upmarket ambience for the elegant but subdued atmosphere of a traditional establishment or one of our sundry other differences, our concept would unequivocally enhance the options available to the upmarket consumer. The result is October Station.

Jeez, do you think they're targeting the "upmarket consumer?" HAHAHA! I wouldn't want to go in there if you gave me a membership.

I thought it was just me thinking October Station (where did that name come from?) was silly, but am glad to know this is not the case. The website feels like they are playing buzzword bingo or something.

It appears that they've put more thought into how they treat reservations than the food the "upmarket consumer" will, umm, you know, consume. The "menu" has no prices but lists things in the order they cost, with a range from $44 to $10. So desserts are $10 and everything else costs more than that. Riiiight.

They credit card stickers on the window included Master Card, Visa, and the card of choice of the upwardly mobile, Discover Card. To me, the inclusion of Discover and the lack of AmEx screams "poser" along the lines of Christopher Walken's SNL character The Contienental.

With places like Sullivans, Vin, Sushi Blues, Zely and Ritz, 518, Second Empire, and (It's-less) Prime Only nearby, what will be the market for this place?

I also noticed Hi-5 has increased its under $5 menu, but I couldn't tell if that was just for lunch or if it included dinner as well.

And Club Mosquito has to be the worst name for a club ever.

I agree about the name... but give the place a chance, though. It is shaping up to be one of my favorite bars. If you ever made it into Cork, you wouldn't think this was the same place. They did a great job on the interior, a lot of custom tile work and a very loungey, minimalist vibe. The staff is friendly as well (a few former 5 Star employees work there).

If you mean 419 Glenwood Ave, it looks like a new 16k sf story restaurant is going in there. It's about time!

I'm a little confused here. I don't remember the repair shop, but when I thought the Capital Electronics was being razed (too?)

It appears that the Capital Electronics is owned by My Three B's LLC (Bates Battaglia and his father are supposed to be opening a restaurant there). 419, the brake shop, is owned by "Hibernian Entertainment".

I'm a little confused here. I don't remember the repair shop, but when I thought the Capital Electronics was being razed (too?)

It appears that the Capital Electronics is owned by My Three B's LLC (Bates Battaglia and his father are supposed to be opening a restaurant there). 419, the brake shop, is owned by "Hibernian Entertainment".

Brake shop = repair shop. Unless there was enough business from people who bought vehicles and then had brakes put on afterwards... I'd think this would be a crazy idea, but I thought the same thing about October Station...

There have been rumors that Hibernian managment wanted to open a dance/music club on Glenwood somewhere, and this is probably it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from eating at J Betski's at Seaboard... really good food, authentic German draft beer, and excellent service all for a reasonable price. Very highly recommended. I'd give it ***1/2 stars. :D

Sounds good. Here's a question...I've heard German food is not vegetarian-friendly. I guess I'll have to search online and look at their menu before trying them out, but did you notice anything meatless?

RE: The Depot/NY Group -- the N&O is reporting they the rest of the Depot's space will be taken by the New York company. The three spaces are

a country and rock saloon called Blazin' Saddles, a sports bar and restaurant called The Hurricane and a New York-style martini bar called Soho East.... The opening of all three bars is slated for May 3.

It would have been nice to see some retail in The Depot, but the market is still taking on nightclubs... There are a lot of parking spaces that will sit empty during the day, unless they rent spaces to office workers that don't mind a little walk.

With work slowing down for the holidays, I hope to be able to get over to J. Betski's sometime before the new year... I hope word of mouth helps them be as successful as 18 Seaboard!

Well sounds like the only major thing, dining-wise, that downtown Raleigh doesn't have yet is an Indian restaurant. Give it time, I guess. :) (As long as it's authentic Indian like Sitar and not americanized like Azitra! lol)

Yep....I am hoping for a second (third I guess really, Pleasant Valley has the take out version) of Royal India on Captial. I also think it should go in City Market, so we have Irish(used to be X2), Thai(X2), Italian(X2), Greek, Tibet, Mexico and American Indians covered by some sort of store (restaurant or gifts)...lets keep the international theme going with my favorite type of food on the planet! I think the PE III space (when complete) would be perfect facing Martin St.