Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

I guess I understand why but I was with a business associate the other night and looking for a place to go eat downtown and worked my way over to Yancey's. I thought it would be a nice place as this person was not from the US. It was a Friday night.

It was around 9:10pm and we tried to walk in and were stopped at the door and told we had to pay $5 cover "because there was a band." I said all we wanted to do was eat but that did not matter. I understand this but it was the way I was told. There were several big bouncers there and I would say at best, not very customer friendly....like if I took a step further, you will be thrown to the ground.

Again, i guess I understand but I will not be taking a work client there again and most likey will skip the place from now on. We ended up going across the street to The Big Easy, got N'orelans type food and did not have to pay a cover. Worked good enough without getting the "stare-down" like how dare I step on hallow ground called Yancey's.

^9:10??? sounds too early to start charging for a cover. i'm right there with you though. i went with some friends about 2 months ago, it was $10 on this particular saturday night (around 1030). felt like we got the same treatment as you, havnt even considered yancey's again to this day. although i do need to try it once, anyone got an opinion? i guess i'll save it for another time of the day.

While I think Yancey's food is better (and tons more authentic) than Big Easy, I too had similar issues trying to try out Yancey's for the first time...except it was cuz they were booked for a private party. But nonetheless I wasn't impressed by the customer service of the doormen. When I finally was able to get in one day (by a miracle I think) the waitstaff was great. But those doormen still left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

I need to get around to try Zydeco...I hear their food is as authentic as Yanceys' but without the attitude.

I need to get around to try Zydeco...I hear their food is as authentic as Yanceys' but without the attitude.

Tried Zydeco before, and it was terrible. I could cook some Zatarains at home 5 times better than the crap Zydeco has. That was last summer, but unless they've hired a new chef, I wouldn't waste your time.

During a lunch trip on Sunday, I noticed Finch's is now open for *dinner* Monday - Saturday, 5 - 9 pm!!!!

It isn't exotic, gourmet, or anything fancy, and I don't know if they have two coffee mugs that match.

But for diner food at diner prices, they can't be beat.

It is sad to hear about Yancy's... though we got a similar treatment at Hideaway BBQ around 8:30, but a waitress was eventually "kind" enough to let pay for the privlidge of eating there. The opening "act" only going on as we were leaving. Our departure was sped up by his "singing" and we don't plan on going back.

With Zydeco, the Big Easy, and Yancy's, I was hoping there would be something better than how they've turned out. I haven't been to Zydeco yet, but they always look empty during dinner hours, without a host/hostess or wait staff in sight. Yancey's has to much 'tude for its own good. There are few places downtown I'd feel out of place in wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but Yancy's is one of them. The Big Easy is good if you don't have high expectations, and they often have the front door open/welcoming vs. a bouncer/imposing.

Yancy's location might give them some problems with non-customers hanging out/watching WTVD's TVs, but that should end at the front door.

So who knows what's going it at the Fayetteville St (west side, think it's 228 F St) spot between the old dollar store and Carolantic Realty? They are moving along on some facade improvements. Is that the Mahler Gallery spot?

I think that building at one time had a banner (during the F St opening parade maybe) saying York Simpson Underwood was opening its downtown office there. I would love for something better than that though...jeez, don't they realize their own office eliminates the oppurtunity for high quality of life options (if I am correct) like book stores, diners, gallery, candy shops, whatever will be open after 5pm, that they are trying to sell??

Edited by Jones133

I would hope the real estate agents will be smart enough to want a F Street presence *and* not eat up street level space for their offices. Having a small sign above a stairwell/eleveator lobby for their offices and a gallery/store/restaurant with sidewalk seating will help "sell" downtown more than anything else.

YSU had a banner somewhere on the west side of the 200 block of F Street, south of the city museum, but I don't rembember on which building.

There seem to be a lot of "mysteries" downtown lately:

- when will Dos Taquitos Centro open?

- what is going into the street level space in Heilig/Levine, the storefronts on Hargett east of Wilmington, and the former Ladies Shop?

- what is going into the former est est est space at Hargett/Salisbury?

- is there an ETA for the Mint?

- Fins in PEII has a working water trickle wall behind the bar, and a "help wanted" sign, but no opening date?

- when is Mahler Gallery opening?

- what retail will be in Palladium Plaza?

- when will Dos Taquitos Centro open?

- what is going into the street level space in Heilig/Levine, the storefronts on Hargett east of Wilmington, and the former Ladies Shop?

- what is going into the former est est est space at Hargett/Salisbury?

- is there an ETA for the Mint?

- Fins in PEII has a working water trickle wall behind the bar, and a "help wanted" sign, but no opening date?

- when is Mahler Gallery opening?

- what retail will be in Palladium Plaza?

- what is going in at the former Cole, Jenest, and Stone office at 121 Fayetteville St next to Crema?

- when will the Fayetteville Tavern (formerly Capitol Room) open it's new expansion next door at 114 F St?

So who knows what's going it at the Fayetteville St (west side, think it's 228 F St) spot between the old dollar store and Carolantic Realty? They are moving along on some facade improvements. Is that the Mahler Gallery spot?

So I went down there again today and it's 226 that I was asking about. The future Mahler Gallery is at 228 Fayetteville St. There so many small storefronts int hat area, it's hard to keep them straight!

- what is going in at the former Cole, Jenest, and Stone office at 121 Fayetteville St next to Crema?

So I asked one of the construction guys today and would you believe an eye care center is moving in there? WTF? :dunno: I guess we need eye care centers too, but come on...

So I asked one of the construction guys today and would you believe an eye care center is moving in there? WTF? :dunno: I guess we need eye care centers too, but come on...

I agree, where is the "plan" for Fayetteville Street development? We all know that "build it and they will come" is a fallacy. Raleigh should have strict ordinances on what can and can not open shop on Fayetteville Street. Are strip clubs and massage parlors allowed?

- when will the Fayetteville Tavern (formerly Capitol Room) open it's new expansion next door at 114 F St?

i live above the F street tavern and can see over the rear part of 114 fayetteville. there is no roof on the middle section so i get a clear view of whats going on. i'm usually not here during the day cause i'm at work but the few days that i get home a little early, i've noticed the developer and a few other guys working on the project. they are moving at a really slow pace and it really doesnt look like they accomplish to much. however, they are also in the process of renovating 2 of the apartments. next time i run into him i'll see if i can get more info.

also, i heard from a weak source that he also has plans to go tall (15ish stories) on the salisbury side, behind 114/112 F street, but don't quote me at all. if i hear anything more i'll update.

also, i heard from a weak source that he also has plans to go tall (15ish stories) on the salisbury side, behind 114/112 F street, but don't quote me at all. if i hear anything more i'll update.

That would be quite itneresting (and difficult) to preserve the F St facades and historical character (to a degree) but add density at the same time. I thought hard about purchasing a place above F St Tavern but decided the 450 sqft space I could afford was not big enough....cool location though.

That would be quite itneresting (and difficult) to preserve the F St facades and historical character (to a degree) but add density at the same time. I thought hard about purchasing a place above F St Tavern but decided the 450 sqft space I could afford was not big enough....cool location though.

the 3 story building facing F street would remain, but a taller structure would go behind it, facing salisbury, thats what i learned. what my guess is that with the tavern exapansion, the rear portion could be closed off and another shop could go in, with an entry on salisbury. you can see there is a good one story footprint on the rear of the building, so maybe it will be torn down to go taller in the future. all rumors though so who knows what will happen.

I agree. All bars, restaurants and galleries does not make a thriving residential (or commercial) downtown. You need things for workers to go to during lunch or after work, so they won't have to drive there later...and things for residents. That means eye care centers, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

Yes, but you could open an eye care center any number of places in downtown. Fayetteville St is crying out for some nightlife ON the street-level right now--that's what the city was hoping for by spending $10M. It's pretty much deserted after 6pm or so. Obviously, the building owner can lease to whomever he wants, but I was hoping for something that would generate more night activity.

Yeah, even downtowns, despite the mixed use nature of them, tend to migrate (and function better in some regards) towards districts, 9-5 districts, 24/7 districts, residential districts....if it is indeed the City's intent for Fayetteville to be an eye catcher for visitors and given the limited number of retail spots, I think its a little dissappointing too...restaurants and clubs tend to feed off each other as a district and Fayetteville has yet to fully establish itself as a complete district of that type like Glenwood and to a lesser degree Moore Square...

Yes, but you could open an eye care center any number of places in downtown. Fayetteville St is crying out for some nightlife ON the street-level right now--that's what the city was hoping for by spending $10M. It's pretty much deserted after 6pm or so. Obviously, the building owner can lease to whomever he wants, but I was hoping for something that would generate more night activity.

Exactly Chief. Not many cities can say that they have a "main" street with mirror images at both ends. It would be a shame if Raleigh doesn't utilize Fayetteville St to it's fullest potential. Isn't that the reason why they reopened it to vehicular traffic anyway?

What's the point of bringing all of these highend condos lived in by high salaried people along Fayetteville St, when they have limited options for shopping, eating, etc. after hours???

I was going to write this yesterday, but I was busy with work and didn't have much time to post...

There are *plenty* of places for eye care centers, doctor's offices, etc. that don't "eat up" street level storefronts.

They might be doing this to get free advertising, and if they can afford the rent, they can do what they want within the law. The sad thing is that F Street isn't attracting restaurants and shops yet, nine months after the opening celebration.

I try to support F Street Tavern, Cremara, Big Easy, etc. as much as possible, and they seem to be doing ok. But the short term "new/shiny" needs to be converted to long term "familar/common" of Cameron Village, etc.

The second floor of the building on Glenwood that contains Zely and Ritz, Sushi Blues, and Cody's is an ideal location for health care businesses that are driven mostly by appointments and benefit by location -- eye care, dentists, doctors, chiropractors, etc.

Where is the F Street equivalent of this? Wachovia? One/Two Hannover? Would it be worth it to create a "health services district" near the Sir Walter if it may be redevloped as a hotel in a few years? There already is a Rex Senior Center on the blocke east of Carlton Place, and office spaces in Carlton Place itself for rent. Though the dentist nearby moved to the Wake Med area on New Bern Ave.

Having to walk by one closed eye care center won't be bad in iteslf, but if the street level of most buildings in a block was dominated by those types of businesses, no one will want to walk by it and it will be just as dead as F Street Mall was.

Well today it was so nice, I hopped on my bike and went downtown. Man am I glad I did. You notice so many more stores/shops when you're on foot or on bike than you do just driving by in your car.

I tried Crema for the first time today...so glad I did. (I know...you're thinking, "Where has he been all this time?") It's great and I have to give them credit for being open in the middle of a Saturday! :thumbsup:

I saw some new (?) place in City Market too....a cookie shop? I should've stopped longer to see what that was all about. It looked interesting.

I also saw that Tony's Cafe is undergoing renovations that will be revealed at the next First Friday. I'm curious what they're doing...it was already a cute cosey place.

As always I was glad to take a look into Stuff Consignment on West Martin Street and Creative Consignments on West Morgan. Telling ya guys & gals...if you like cool used clothes and you haven't visited these two places yet, you really ought to! :D

Speaking of clothes, on my way home, I notice a new sign on Hillsborough Street for some place called Visionz Clothing. Wasn't really sure if they were even open or not (didn't get off my bike long enough to really take a look). Anyone know about this place any? Just wondering.

Well today it was so nice, I hopped on my bike and went downtown. Man am I glad I did. You notice so many more stores/shops when you're on foot or on bike than you do just driving by in your car.

I tried Crema for the first time today...so glad I did. (I know...you're thinking, "Where has he been all this time?") It's great and I have to give them credit for being open in the middle of a Saturday! :thumbsup:

I saw some new (?) place in City Market too....a cookie shop? I should've stopped longer to see what that was all about. It looked interesting.

I also saw that Tony's Cafe is undergoing renovations that will be revealed at the next First Friday. I'm curious what they're doing...it was already a cute cosey place.

As always I was glad to take a look into Stuff Consignment on West Martin Street and Creative Consignments on West Morgan. Telling ya guys & gals...if you like cool used clothes and you haven't visited these two places yet, you really ought to! :D

Speaking of clothes, on my way home, I notice a new sign on Hillsborough Street for some place called Visionz Clothing. Wasn't really sure if they were even open or not (didn't get off my bike long enough to really take a look). Anyone know about this place any? Just wondering.

Is Visionz in the old Record Exchange place? If so, my neighbor just opened it and I am told by other neighbors (quite gossipy around here) that its a skate shop or something....I have yet to see for myself or talk to him about it but that is what I think I know :dontknow:

Edited by Jones133