Weather Talk

DCMetroRaleigh

October can be quite chilly in North Carolina. If you think it has been chilly lately, wait til this weekend. ON Friday, daytime highs will only reach the 50's in most of the state, with portions of the west only reaching the 40's. At night, temps will fall into the 20's and 30's, as many areas see some frost. And to add to the excitement, parts of western North Carolina may see some snow or snow flurries this weekend. Temps on Friday will seem even colder because of a ferocious north wind that will make it seem like late November. Let's hope the good ole eastern trough stays with us until April, ensuring plently of snow for us snow lovers!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October can be quite chilly in North Carolina. If you think it has been chilly lately, wait til this weekend. ON Friday, daytime highs will only reach the 50's in most of the state, with portions of the west only reaching the 40's. At night, temps will fall into the 20's and 30's, as many areas see some frost. And to add to the excitement, parts of western North Carolina may see some snow or snow flurries this weekend. Temps on Friday will seem even colder because of a ferocious north wind that will make it seem like late November. Let's hope the good ole eastern trough stays with us until April, ensuring plently of snow for us snow lovers!

I lived in Boone for 12 years - in that time I saw snow (at least once) in Jan, Feb, March, April, May, October, Nov and Dec.

The May snowstorm (May 4 or 5, 1989; a massive temerature drop 1 day after a tornado outbreak across the foothills and parts of the Piedmont) was a little freaky even by Western NC standards: warm, followed by very violent hailstorms, followed by about a 30 degree temp drop between sunup and sundown, followed by 4" of snow...

Been in NC for 33 years. The weather here is awesome. Sometimes its 70 degrees in January. Sometimes big snow. Im not a fan of the cold. Im now living in Cary but moved here from Wilmington where i was for 6 years prior. the weather in Wilmington is as different from the rest of the state as the weather in Boone is. Its nothing for a daytime high in Raleigh to be 45 and sunny in January only for it to be high 50's low 60's in Wilmington.

I love this time of year. It gets me in the holiday mood and the crispness of the air seems to bring out the unique smells of the region you live. Of course I am talkng about NC and not Nevada. Here it either summer or spring. No real extreme temp swing between the two. I miss the quirky NC coastal plain weather. Although that cold rain crap annoyed the h@#$ out of me. If it is going to be cold then give me snow. Don't hover around 36 to 38 degrees and just rain all day long only to stop when the temps drops two more degrees.

I remember living in Greensboro where it was snowing at a good rate. I decided that I was hungry(college student ) and wanted to go home for the weekend. I made it to about three miles east of Burlington and the snow turned to rain. It was like an instant change. No mix just rain. Thats NC for ya.

The Piedmont Fall weather is the BEST! I'm an avid golfer and everyone I meet on the golf courses from other parts of the country admit, it doesn't get much better than October/November here. One of the most underrated and best values for golf is Bryan Park in Greensboro. They have two courses and one is called the Championship course. I think it's Lake Jennette that it cuts through. Some of the scenery on those holes are breathtaking. If there are homes on the Lake, they're all hidden. The fall breeze with the leaves changing colors coupled with the tranquility makes me think of that song, "I like calling NC home" ...I know, a little cheesy.

For a golfer, Durham's location is prime. I can travel to Greensboro, Pinehurst, Burlington, Fayetteville, etc. within an hour or so. There are TONs of quality courses. Some of my good friends live in Charlotte and Greensboro, so we'll choose a course in Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point/Jamestown as a centralized location. One of the best things about living here is the I-85 corridor and the close proximity of the cities. From Durham, Charlotte isn't that bad of a drive until you get past Salisbury and all hell breaks loose. For another thread, but why is I-85 between Salisbury (currently widening to 4 lanes per side) and Concord mostly 2 lanes per side?

Having lived in NOVA and DC, the fall weather there is awesome as well, but the traffic is unbearable at times, so commuting between cities in the Piedmont dare I say is a "breeze".

For a golfer, Durham's location is prime. I can travel to Greensboro, Pinehurst, Burlington, Fayetteville, etc. within an hour or so. There are TONs of quality courses. Some of my good friends live in Charlotte and Greensboro, so we'll choose a course in Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point/Jamestown as a centralized location. One of the best things about living here is the I-85 corridor and the close proximity of the cities. From Durham, Charlotte isn't that bad of a drive until you get past Salisbury and all hell breaks loose. For another thread, but why is I-85 between Salisbury (currently widening to 4 lanes per side) and Concord mostly 2 lanes per side?

I agree. Some of the best courses I've played have been up there around Greensboro. I particulary liked Jamestown if I remember correctly. Great golf courses that are very easy on the wallet.

I agree. Some of the best courses I've played have been up there around Greensboro. I particulary liked Jamestown if I remember correctly. Great golf courses that are very easy on the wallet.

The best golf courses i believe are in Pleasant Garden, at least thats where the Greater Greensboro Classic is held at. You might be mistaken Jamestown for Pleasant Garden. :)

Freeze Watch

Expires 11:30 PM EDT on October 12, 2006

Statement as of 3:19 PM EDT on October 12, 2006

... Freeze watch in effect from late Friday night through Saturday

morning...

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued

a freeze watch... which is in effect from late Friday night

through Saturday morning.

Canadian high pressure will build over the southern appalachian

region this evening through Sunday. Tonight... temperatures along the

Tennessee border will fall into the low to middle 30s. Patchy

frost will be possible toward sunrise Friday. The center of the

cold air mass will move closer to the North Carolina mountains

Friday night. Clear sky... light winds... and dry air will likely

result in the coldest temperatures since Spring across the region.

Freezing temperatures are expected for several hours Saturday

morning across the North Carolina mountains... especially areas

above 2500 feet in elevation. Freezing temperatures will be

possible again Sunday morning... however... the valleys could remain

slightly warmer than Saturday morning.

A freeze watch means sub-freezing temperatures are possible.

These conditions could kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.

Special Weather Statement

Expires 5:00 AM EDT on October 13, 2006

Statement as of 5:11 PM EDT on October 12, 2006

... Coldest temperatures of the season expected this weekend...

A polar airmass will build south into central North Carolina on

Friday. Noticeably colder and drier air will begin to filter into

the state late tonight and continue on Friday. Meanwhile a weak area

of high pressure will build in from the west through the

weekend... providing clear skies and light to calm winds at night.

While temperatures Friday and Saturday afternoon will peak in the

60s... temperatures will fall rapidly into the 40s during the

evening. Low temperatures Saturday morning and again Sunday morning

are expected to be in the mid 30s. Light frost is possible...

especially in rural areas and at locations near the Virginia border.

Anyone with outdoor plants that are sensitive to the cold should

move them indoors Friday and Saturday night.

Stay tuned to the media or NOAA Weather Radio for the latest

information.

The best golf courses i believe are in Pleasant Garden, at least thats where the Greater Greensboro Classic is held at. You might be mistaken Jamestown for Pleasant Garden. :)

I think I would have remembere playing that course. Something tells me that would have been a little out of my budget :) Come to think of it I think was in High Point that I was impressed with. Either way, for $30 I played a pretty nice course with a golf cart. Not bad, especially coming from Augusta, where they kill you on green fees.

Roxboro 30

Its funny how growing up every winter, me and my friends would always get jealous of Roxboro, South Boston or South Hill getting the snow over us in the Sandhills watching the Raleigh stations. Heck, sometimes even northern Moore County would get some snow and then it would rain in the southern portion of the county but because the northern tip got some snow, schools were closed county-wide. Always felt that was backwards but i was happy to get the day off while it was raining outside :rofl:

Yep, Jersey, Roxboro is known as the Snow Capital of the Triangle. THey tend to be the winners in snowstorms, except those coastal snowstorms that sometimes leave Durham dry and Wilson County using the snowblowers.

record event report

National Weather Service Raleigh NC

820 am EDT sun October 15 2006

... Record low temperature for October 15th set at Raleigh...

The low temperature at the Raleigh Durham international Airport this

morning was 33 degrees. This broke the previous record low

temperature of 34 degrees on this date... last recorded in 1979.

The normal low temperature for October 15th at Raleigh Durham

international Airport is 48 degrees

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

951 AM EDT MON OCT 23 2006

SHORT TERM /REST OF TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT/...

DROPPED HIGH TEMPERATURES TWO TO THREE DEGREES FOR TODAY BASED ON

MODEL THICKNESS AND EXPECTED 850 MILLIBAR TEMPERATURES OF MINUS

THREE TO PLUS ONE...NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST. LOOKING AT TONIGHT

THERE IS A BIT OF MOISTURE BELOW 550 MILLIBARS AND WIND EXPECTED

TO PERSIST. THICKNESS DROP SUGGEST ABOUT A SEVEN DEGREE FALL FROM

THIS MORNINGS LOWS ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...WHICH WOULD BE NEAR A 30

DEGREE DIURNAL FROM EXPECTED HIGHS THIS AFTERNOON. NO ADJUSTMENT

TO TONIGHT AT THIS TIME AS WILL LOOK AT THE LATE MORNING

MODELS...BUT THINKING A DEGREE OR TWO COLDER NOT OUT OF THE

QUESTION.

I heard metro. Definitely feeling wintery in mid October this year.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

1053 AM EDT MON OCT 23 2006

GAZ018-026-028-029-NCZ035>037-056-057-068>072-082-502-504-506-508-

510-SCZ001>014-019-232300-

/O.UPG.KGSP.FZ.A.0006.061024T0400Z-061024T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KGSP.FZ.W.0007.061024T0400Z-061024T1200Z/

STEPHENS-FRANKLIN-HART-ELBERT-ALEXANDER-IREDELL-DAVIE-CATAWBA-

ROWAN-CLEVELAND-LINCOLN-GASTON-MECKLENBURG-CABARRUS-UNION NC-

GREATER CALDWELL-GREATER BURKE-EASTERN MCDOWELL-

GREATER RUTHERFORD-EASTERN POLK-OCONEE MOUNTAINS-

PICKENS MOUNTAINS-GREENVILLE MOUNTAINS-GREATER OCONEE-

GREATER PICKENS-GREATER GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG-CHEROKEE-YORK-

ANDERSON-ABBEVILLE-LAURENS-UNION SC-CHESTER-GREENWOOD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TOCCOA...HARTWELL...ELBERTON...

STATESVILLE...MOCKSVILLE...HICKORY...SALISBURY...SHELBY...

LINCOLNTON...GASTONIA...CHARLOTTE...CONCORD...MONROE...LENOIR...

MORGANTON...MARION...RUTHERFORD...COLUMBUS...GREENVILLE...

SPARTANBURG...GAFFNEY...ROCK HILL...ANDERSON...ABBEVILLE...

LAURENS...UNION...CHESTER...GREENWOOD

1053 AM EDT MON OCT 23 2006

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

8 AM EDT TUESDAY. THE FREEZE WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

COLD AIR WILL CONTINUE TO FILTER INTO THE REGION TODAY AND

TONIGHT. BY SUNRISE TUESDAY...MANY LOCATIONS ACROSS THE FOOTHILLS

AND PIEDMONT OF THE WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA ARE

EXPECTED TO FALL TO AROUND FREEZING. THERE IS STILL SOME

UNCERTAINTY AS TO WHETHER THE WINDS WILL DIMINISH ENOUGH LATE

TONIGHT FOR FREEZING TEMPERATURES TO BE WIDESPREAD. HOWEVER...

LOCATIONS THAT DO GO CALM...OR NEARLY CALM...MAY FALL SEVERAL

DEGREES BELOW FREEZING...RESULTING IN A HARD FREEZE.

FREEZING TEMPERATURES MAY ALSO OCCUR AGAIN ON WEDNESDAY MORNING.

THE ISSUANCE OF ANY FREEZE PRODUCTS FOR WEDNESDAY MORNING WILL

DEPEND UPON WHETHER THE GROWING SEASON ENDS TONIGHT IN THE

FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT...AS WELL AS THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTH

CAROLINA.

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR

HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER

SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Archived