Revitalized Tacoma, Washington

Sundodger

Tacoma has gone through a massive revitalization. 20 years ago the city was in bad shape, downtown was dead and crime rampant in the surrounding residential neighborhoods. Things are totally different today. The University of Washington-Tacoma, which renovated historic buildings for its campus is generally credited as the major catalyst that really got downtown moving.

Here are some pics I took of Tacoma today.

tac_cd_1.jpg

tac_cd_2.jpg

tac_cd_3.jpg

Heading down Pacific Ave. towards downtown. Pacific is the main drag through town. The lightrail line goes down Pacific.

tac_cd_4.jpg

Downtown from near the University of Washington-Tacoma campus.

tac_cd_5.jpg

The University of Washington-Tacoma. UWT recently became a four year university. It originally just served 3rd year , 4th year, and grad students.

tac_cd_6.jpg

tac_cd_7.jpg

tac_cd_8.jpg

tac_cd_9.jpg

tac_cd_10.jpg

tac_cd_11.jpg

tac_cd_13.jpg

Looking towards the museum district from campus. The Washington State Museum of History is the building with the portal. The Museum of Glass is the cone visable through the portal.

tac_cd_14.jpg

tac_cd_15.jpg

Looking up Pacific from UWT. The lightrail line runs through here. The building in the middle is the federal courthouse. It originally was Union Station, Tacoma's train station. The courthouse is full of Chihuly glass sculptures and stained glass, but it was closed for Columbus Day, so no pics.

tac_cd_16.jpg

Here comes the lightrail.

tac_cd_17.jpg

Looking down Pacific towards UWT from the courthouse.

tac_cd_17b.jpg

The Chihuly Bridge of Glass links the University/museum/courthouse area with the waterfront and Museum of Glass. Dale Chihuly is from Tacoma.

tac_cd_18a.jpg

tac_cd_18b.jpg

Looking back towards UWT and courthouse from bridge. St. Joseph Hospital is the white building on the top of the hill.

tac_cd_20a.jpg

tac_cd_21a.jpg

tac_cd_23.jpg

tac_cd_24.jpg

tac_cd_25.jpg

tac_cd_26.jpg

tac_cd_27.jpg

tac_cd_28.jpg

The large building towards the right is the new convention center. It is pretty sweet. My office held our Christmas party there and we had KC & the Susnhine Band play.

tac_cd_29.jpg

tac_cd_30.jpg

Looking up Foss Waterway towards the Tacoma Dome. Tacoma's namesake, Mt. Rainier (Mt. Tahoma in aboriginal tongue), is visibile, but not in this pic due to the angle of the sun.

tac_cd_31.jpg

Condos and lofts are springing up all over the place.

tac_cd_22a.jpg

tac_cd_33.jpg

That's all for now, I only had 45 minutes to kill.

tac_cd_32.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are terrific pics! Hopefully someone who has not thought about visiting Tacoma will see these pics and get inspired by them:)

One thing I find so interesting about Tacoma is how intensely URBAN it is for a mid-sized city. It feels every bit as urban as Seattle when you're there. The museums and artistic flourishes throughout downtown are truly dazzling for a city this size.

And Tacoma has perhaps the largest stock of historic housing in the region. I can't say enough good about Tacoma!

Say more! Right this minute, I am heading out of my house to go to class for two hours and then Im going to the Proctor, Old Town, 6th Ave and Stadium Business Districts to take photos. If Im lucky, theyll be loaded up on the computer tonight. Definately by tomorrow... BYE YALL!

Archived