Increase Gas Tax fo Fund Mass Transit?

Recchia

No. DO NOT duplicate the Mass Pike setup! While I understand that the tolls provide a revenue source for very necessary road repairs, they are also responsible for a big share of traffic problems and cars crawling at 10 miles per hour. In particular the 495 tolls, the Weston Tolls, and the 84 tolls. They end up eating most of their income in operationa expenses anyway. If you want better toll designs look towards the Everret Turnpike in New Hampshire.

While I am posting, I will add that I am actually in favor of 10 cent tax on gas across New England. That money would go directly into a fund to take over and upgrade all the independently owned track that runs between cities up here, and establish a decent traffic and signaling system on them, so that effecient, lighter weight regional DMUs could be run between them.

we already have a gas tax. that should be taken from the general fund and put specifically towards roads and infrastructure. we should not increase the tax we already have that's already pretty high to do this.

as for everret turnpike... those aren't bad, but you have to consider that there's a whole lot less people using them. during times of high traffic, they get really backed up (i travel up there a lot). and they put the ez pass lanes in the worst place possible... in the middle. ez pass should be in the left 2 or 3 and the one farthest to the right. let those who are cruising continue to cruise without having to change lanes.

the mass pike probably gets less cars travelling through the entire length than we get. they pay operational expenses for the tolls in western mass that get a lot less traffic.

Exactly...just in case anybody forgot....There was a toll on the Mount Hope Bridge from Bristol to Portsmouth that was removed by the Almond administration a few years ago. Locals were thrilled that they wouldn't have to pay the .35 it cost to go over the bridge.....so I think the toll topic would never fly....There would be rioting in the streets.

everytime i see your new avatar, i think of maddox.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did 95 in RI used to have tolls? I know CT did, and then took them out after that terrible accident in Stamford.

I clearly remember those CT tolls and how inconvenient they were. I actually hated them. All they did was back-up and delay traffic in an already congested area. Between the RI & NY border I think there were like 7 toll booths or more. It wasen't like the NY throughway upstate where you didn't pay a toll unless you exited the highway. You paid at the end of the exit ramp. Between RI & New Haven wasen't too bad, it was the ride between NH & NY that was the killer. :w00t:

I realize the gas tax in RI is already pretty high, I was thinking more raising it in Massachusetts where it's some 7 cents less than RI. Massachusetts could certainly use the extra revenue and if the additional money was dedicated to something like commuter rail extension projects then I think it would go over much better.

I realize the gas tax in RI is already pretty high, I was thinking more raising it in Massachusetts where it's some 7 cents less than RI. Massachusetts could certainly use the extra revenue and if the additional money was dedicated to something like commuter rail extension projects then I think it would go over much better.

Isn't this how MA funds the big boogle, er, big dig project?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the ride betweeen New Haven and PA is the worse stretch of 95. I would actually consider flying into Baltimore just to avoid this drive.

i fly to philly for that reason (and it's not much more expensive than driving and saves me a ton of time and frustration).

ohhhh... i assumed you meant RI should do this.

i fly to philly for that reason (and it's not much more expensive than driving and saves me a ton of time and frustration).

Yeah, who wants to drive through NY/NJ during peak hours! Forget about it. That's why I prefer to drive nights, but when hotels require a 3pm check-in...........................

Yeah, who wants to drive through NY/NJ during peak hours! Forget about it. That's why I prefer to drive nights, but when hotels require a 3pm check-in...........................

they require you to check in by 3? never heard of that... usually it means you have to check in sometime after 3...

i used to drive nights when i worked nights... but i no longer do, so i don't drive as late because i can't stay up as late anymore as my body is not used to it as much.

they require you to check in by 3? never heard of that... usually it means you have to check in sometime after 3...

i used to drive nights when i worked nights... but i no longer do, so i don't drive as late because i can't stay up as late anymore as my body is not used to it as much.

Oh, I see we changed our avatar. Hmmmmmmmmmm :blink:

While I am posting, I will add that I am actually in favor of 10 cent tax on gas across New England. That money would go directly into a fund to take over and upgrade all the independently owned track that runs between cities up here, and establish a decent traffic and signaling system on them, so that effecient, lighter weight regional DMUs could be run between them.

YES!

No. DO NOT duplicate the Mass Pike setup! While I understand that the tolls provide a revenue source for very

While I am posting, I will add that I am actually in favor of 10 cent tax on gas across New England. That money would go directly into a fund to takeover and upgrade all the independently owned track that runs between cities up here, and establish a decent traffic and signaling system on them, so that effecient, lighter weight regional DMUs could be run between them.

:shok::o

We're already up there on some of the highest taxed states - and you want more?!

Alright...

how bout we increase the FEDERAL gas tax a significant amount...

purely transit and pedestrian/bicycle oriented reinvestment, and tax credit incentives for people that HAVE to drive to get more fuel efficient, smaller vehicles.

Taxes affect behavior, and if the goal is to get people to drive less and use alternatives, this is one sure way to do it...

Automobiles have been hugely subsidized since the early 20th century - perhaps its time for altenatives to catch up.

Alright...

how bout we increase the FEDERAL gas tax a significant amount...

purely transit and pedestrian/bicycle oriented reinvestment, and tax credit incentives for people that HAVE to drive to get more fuel efficient, smaller vehicles.

Taxes affect behavior, and if the goal is to get people to drive less and use alternatives, this is one sure way to do it...

Automobiles have been hugely subsidized since the early 20th century - perhaps its time for altenatives to catch up.

you don't think increasing the federal gas tax will go to some other fund... like, i don't know... the war?

It's not that we don't like tax cuts, but why the heck do you think we are in the situation now of crumbling infrastructure and no public transit and having to pay for everything out-of-pocket? Nothing is going to just magically appear. It's the cut taxes, pay privatly type of mentality that is why we are so reliant upon cars and roads now.

I figure if there is a <b>GOOD</b> transportation system in the area, and I mean more than a local LRT, I mean intercity (Providence, Worcester, Boston, Fall River, Hartford, Manchester, Portland) system, then the extra money you pay in taxes can be offset by being able to go where you need to without a car.

RI already has high taxes, 2 of which should go directly towards this (the gas tax and car tax). but instaed, they go to the general fund. before we raise taxes to dump more into the general fund, we need to pull those 2 tax incomes out of that fund and put it directly towards infrastructure and transit.

RI already has high taxes, 2 of which should go directly towards this (the gas tax and car tax). but instaed, they go to the general fund. before we raise taxes to dump more into the general fund, we need to pull those 2 tax incomes out of that fund and put it directly towards infrastructure and transit.

Does the gas tax go to the general fund? I'm not so sure. The federal gas tax does not go to the general fund, it goes directly to the DOT for transportation related things...of course, most of that is for highway building and automobile subsidy...

Does the gas tax go to the general fund? I'm not so sure. The federal gas tax does not go to the general fund, it goes directly to the DOT for transportation related things...of course, most of that is for highway building and automobile subsidy...

according to jen it goes to the general fund.

what is this automobile subsidy i always hear about? i honestly don't know what that is and had no idea automobiles were subsidized. the federal tax money should be going to highways, especially interstates, but also towards some public transit. just because people don't like cars doesn't mean that roads and maintenance are not as necessary as public transit.

• 2 months later...

my understanding of the highway robbery (no pun intended) that the general fund is that anything called a "tax" or a "surcharge" goes into the general fund. they even changed the wording on the conservation charge that the electric bill used to charge, that went into a renewable energy fund. They changed that wording in order for it to comply with a "tax" and therefore it got plopped into the general fund. I'm not sure if that ever got fixed...

Archived