Who's better for Hartford: Rell or DeStefano?

grock

No, you are WRONG - AGAIN! We can't DAMAGE the OZONE layer. The Ozone layer is NATURALLY OCCURING. The only way we can DAMAGE the OZONE LAYER is by shutting the SUN off. Most Scientists DO NOT agree with you.

JimS

Ok judging by this I now realize that you have little to no interest in making sense. The ozone is "naturally occuring?" What does that even mean? The DAMAGE to the ozone layer certainly wasn't naturally occuring! It was US! Sigh. I give up and it is clear you have either lost your marbles or are a 5 year-old child. At least the other republicans on this board have argued their points using some form of facts and logic. You make so little sense that even Bush would have to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure everyone, republicans and democrats are in agreement that we hurt the ozone and our strict policy fixed it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you are WRONG - AGAIN! We can't DAMAGE the OZONE layer. The Ozone layer is NATURALLY OCCURING. The only way we can DAMAGE the OZONE LAYER is by shutting the SUN off. Most Scientists DO NOT agree with you.

JimS

That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

As an interlude to this political bantering, I would like to offer my thoughts on the original question posed by Grock...

I think one of the most important (and daunting) tasks faced by a Connecticut governor today is bringing urban, suburban, and rural stakeholders to the table and finding common ground in domestic policy issues like transportation and education. Yes, one might think that this notion would be impossible to achieve in Connecticut; however, nothing short of the state's future economic survival hangs in the balance. The suburbs need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the cities. The cities need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the suburbs. And both the cities and suburbs need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the balance provided by the state's rural areas. Taken together, Connecticut desperately needs to be better integrated (both in mindset and infrastructure) if it is to survive.

Regrettably, I think that neither Rell nor DeStefano are up to this task. Regardless of who's elected, the state will not go down the tubes, but it will not live up to its fullest potential. We need someone who is grounded in practicality yet more visionary.

As an interlude to this political bantering, I would like to offer my thoughts on the original question posed by Grock...

I think one of the most important (and daunting) tasks faced by a Connecticut governor today is bringing urban, suburban, and rural stakeholders to the table and finding common ground in domestic policy issues like transportation and education. Yes, one might think that this notion would be impossible to achieve in Connecticut; however, nothing short of the state's future economic survival hangs in the balance. The suburbs need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the cities. The cities need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the suburbs. And both the cities and suburbs need to recognize that they cannot flourish long-term without the balance provided by the state's rural areas. Taken together, Connecticut desperately needs to be better integrated (both in mindset and infrastructure) if it is to survive.

Regrettably, I think that neither Rell nor DeStefano are up to this task. Regardless of who's elected, the state will not go down the tubes, but it will not live up to its fullest potential. We need someone who is grounded in practicality yet more visionary.

i don't think rell is up for this task of bring it all together, but i do think destefano is. new haven is a wonderful urban environment and he's done nothing but great things for the city bringing everyone together. i think he can handle it.

I'm with you. I think Destefano could probably do better since I'm not even sure who does the thinking for Rell, I doubt it's her. I don't think either of these candidates will get us where we could potentially be though.

destefano helped bring the city residents and yale together. that was no easy task. knowing how residents here in providence feel about the colleges and carefully scrutinize everything they do so that they "don't destroy the neighborhood fabric", it's no easy task. many residents of new haven still aren't happy with any expansion or changes that yale makes, but it's not like it used to be.

so no, it's not that he's in the right place at the right time, he's the mayor that helped pull new haven back out of the rut and he's the mayor of CT's arguably most popular, most functional city.

Destefano would probably fund the urban environments in Connecticut more so than Rell. But Jodi has gotten things done that noone has in the past, such as funding for commuter rail through Hartford, the busway thingy (should be light rail, but blame the consultants), projects like Park Street improvements and Front Street. Of course most of these are still on paper, but the wheels are turning.

My question is should we abandon someone who has gotten this much done (well, on paper) in a short period of time?

I have to think Rell deserves a chance. She's a moderate anyway. Destefano seems to back urban projects that have already happened been proposed, nothing new, and he also keeps mentioning widening the highways more, which is ludicrous. We should invest in mass transit.

destefano helped bring the city residents and yale together. that was no easy task. knowing how residents here in providence feel about the colleges and carefully scrutinize everything they do so that they "don't destroy the neighborhood fabric", it's no easy task. many residents of new haven still aren't happy with any expansion or changes that yale makes, but it's not like it used to be.

so no, it's not that he's in the right place at the right time, he's the mayor that helped pull new haven back out of the rut and he's the mayor of CT's arguably most popular, most functional city.

What city residents? You mean those building owners who sold their properties at twice the market value to Yale? Or those other owners who saw their properties value went through the roof? Boy I bet they're really pissed. Or the few section 8 downtown residents and the few remaining dollars store shopkeepers? Yeah, they're really ticked off when Yale booted them out. I am sure DeStefano sooth their hurt feelings while they were packing. As for neighborhood fabric, downtown NH was a dump, there is no neighborhood to speak off, much less any fabric. New Haven became prosperous because Yale invested in downtown, Yale encouraged its own employees to live in the city by offering them incentives, and jobs were created from Yalies who stayed after graduation and formed biotech companies. Without Yale, NH would still be in the dump, it's that simple.

What city residents? You mean those building owners who sold their properties at twice the market value to Yale? Or those other owners who saw their properties value went through the roof? Boy I bet they're really pissed. Or the few section 8 downtown residents and the few remaining dollars store shopkeepers? Yeah, they're really ticked off when Yale booted them out. I am sure DeStefano sooth their hurt feelings while they were packing. As for neighborhood fabric, downtown NH was a dump, there is no neighborhood to speak off, much less any fabric. New Haven became prosperous because Yale invested in downtown, Yale encouraged its own employees to live in the city by offering them incentives, and jobs were created from Yalies who stayed after graduation and formed biotech companies. Without Yale, NH would still be in the dump, it's that simple.

I agree and where's the gratitude? The average New Haven citizen will keep critizing Yale and their students for who knows what reason today, yet most of them basically leech off the University.

As for Destefano, he was probably in the right place at the right time for all that, but somehow his reputation in the city is good. He probably makes sure they know Yale is the 'enemy'.

wow, talk about the ignorance here. i don't even know where to begin.

there's plenty of residents (some with decent sized incomes) that live on the edge of downtown. yes, people do complain about yale and how it buys up property and expands and whatnot. what destefano did was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you said. he brought yale and the residents together to help everyone get along. before that it was basically "yale v. residents of new haven". destefano changed that.

This is a major reason I support her. She's not a typical Republican, not in today's world anyway. Destefano keeps telling us we should abandon her and vote for him because she was part of the Rowland administration...that seems to be his best line, but it does nothing for me.

DeStefano just released a pretty agressive Smart Growth plan that, among other things, tries to:

reform the property tax system

provide equitable funding for education

which are both two huge issues that currently work against CT cities.

Rell's smart growth plan creates an office within OPM that will be staffed by existing employees. It doesn't sound like much of an investment on her part in changing the way things are done, but I'm hopeful either way.

Ok judging by this I now realize that you have little to no interest in making sense. The ozone is "naturally occuring?" What does that even mean? The DAMAGE to the ozone layer certainly wasn't naturally occuring! It was US! Sigh. I give up and it is clear you have either lost your marbles or are a 5 year-old child. At least the other republicans on this board have argued their points using some form of facts and logic. You make so little sense that even Bush would have to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure everyone, republicans and democrats are in agreement that we hurt the ozone and our strict policy fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

On the same note, I encourage everyone to read Toni Gold's analysis of DeStefano's proposed Smart Growth Policy (in the Courant). She's generally impressed but has a few criticisms.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/commen...0,2387196.story

DeStefano just released a pretty agressive Smart Growth plan that, among other things, tries to:

reform the property tax system

provide equitable funding for education

which are both two huge issues that currently work against CT cities.

Rell's smart growth plan creates an office within OPM that will be staffed by existing employees. It doesn't sound like much of an investment on her part in changing the way things are done, but I'm hopeful either way.

Archived