Columbia Riverfront Park

BryCola

I took my bike and camera to Riverfront Park on Saturday morning and took some pics. I started jogging in the park in February, and have come to appreciate how LUCKY we are here in Columbia to have this park and the whole riverfront. I really didn't even know much about the park because you don't hear much about it. But the wildlife is really cool. I've seen 2 deer, a snake, skinks, the SAME white heron everytime I go, and turtles are everywhere. I even saw the same family of Canadian Geese, and watched as the baby geese got bigger every week. The amazing part is that the park is about a mile and a half from Main Steet. I'd like to take some more pics when the leaves start changing. (this is my first attempt at posting pics, so I hope it works.)

Park1.jpg

Park8.jpg

Park11.jpg

Park7.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pictures, thanks! I've been there a couple of times, but not recently. It's a neat feeling to be walking through this lush forest, while the city and dowtown are just blocks away.

Great pics; so pristine. I've got to get over there sometime. I hope all of the planned development for the riverfront doesn't ruin the park's natural charm.

I agree, I hope they have a nice buffer between the park and new developments. A large amount of trees were removed on the West Columbia riverwalk to make way for those million dollars homes. It pretty much ruined the scenery along that part of the walk. :(

I agree, I hope they have a nice buffer between the park and new developments. A large amount of trees were removed on the West Columbia riverwalk to make way for those million dollars homes. It pretty much ruined the scenery along that part of the walk. :(

Doesn't look like those home sites are selling too well. I can't say that I'm disappointed.

They had Kevin Cohen down there a couple of weeks ago doing a live broadcast. I guess it was to get people down there and encourage them to buy the sites. Anyone know how effective it was?

Nice pics!

I wonder if they know that bench is facing the wrong way?

I see what you're saying about the bench facing the wrong way...but all of the benches in that part of the park face the river and away from the canal...even the one's on the canal side of the path. The path runs right down the middle between the canal and river. Until the leaves fall, you can't really see the river on this part of the path though because the foliage is so thick. So maybe they should face the canal. But they're mostly used by runners and walkers taking a break, so I guess they figure they don't need a canal view. :)

Really all they need is a backless bench. That way you can look to see either one :)

Actually, they sort of have these in the older section. The "back" of the bench can rotate 90 degrees to become a table top. Perfect for eating lunch on! Its not exactly obvious thay can transform but if you look carefully they have handles that you can use to pull the back side up with.

Btw, I'd also have to agree that the greenway is one of the highlights of Columbia. :thumbsup: I feel very lucky to have access to such an excellent park.

That is a horrible development or that riverfront property. The faux stone fence is an abomination. The city of West Columbia needs some tougher zoning.

You are so right. The public waters of the U.S., like the Congaree River, belong to ALL people, and should be made accessible to all, which the Riverwalk did. If any buildings are to be built alongside it, they should be civic, commercial, or other public places. But now we have these private spaces intruding into the public space. What were they thinking??

Users of the Riverwalk are made to feel they are on the verge of terspassing in the private spaces of these folks with the houses so close--they are, after all, fenced out and uncomforably close to the private lives within. On the residents' side, all they see is an endless flow of strangers parading by their cocktail party. Potential buyers of these homes want EXCLUSIVE communities, and decidedly NOT the open, public living spaces of an urban setting.

It is going to be a hard sell.

(If you want an even more horrendous example of this mistake, simply look at what they did to ruin North Augusta's riverfront directly across from downtown Augusta. It not only has private riverfront development where there should be public space, but also NO public riverwalk as well. A monumental missed opportunity.)

You are so right. The public waters of the U.S., like the Congaree River, belong to ALL people, and should be made accessible to all, which the Riverwalk did. If any buildings are to be built alongside it, they should be civic, commercial, or other public places. But now we have these private spaces intruding into the public space. What were they thinking??

Users of the Riverwalk are made to feel they are on the verge of terspassing in the private spaces of these folks with the houses so close--they are, after all, fenced out and uncomforably close to the private lives within. On the residents' side, all they see is an endless flow of strangers parading by their cocktail party. Potential buyers of these homes want EXCLUSIVE communities, and decidedly NOT the open, public living spaces of an urban setting.

It is going to be a hard sell.

(If you want an even more horrendous example of this mistake, simply look at what they did to ruin North Augusta's riverfront directly across from downtown Augusta. It not only has private riverfront development where there should be public space, but also NO public riverwalk as well. A monumental missed opportunity.)

Archived