The Beat

jenreese

I can't find any discussion on this Greenville-based alternative newspaper... Is anyone else a fan? They recently did an issue on the Greer community which I thought was really cool- spotlighting the growth of the area, downtown revitalization, etc. The Beat seems very devoted to Upstate growth, particularly small businesses, and their arts and entertainment section is the best out there, I think.

www.upstatebeat.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of our regulars here on U.P. (maybe more, for all I know) contribute to the Beat. It is an excellent rag that does not talk down to the reader and fill them full of fluff and I like that. Unfortunately, it rarely delves into urban development topics. When it does, someone usually references it among the discussion here somewhere.

I hardly ever look at the Link, especially after learning about the predatory practices that Beowulf referenced previously. You'd think an entertainment section in the Greenville News would have been enough for Gannett, but I suppose the world is not enough.

I still always pick up a copy of both The Beat and Link. Both have decent information to pass along to the casual reader. I would, however, love to see one of them (or a new publication) regularly interview developers and/or important local leaders working behind the scenes of some of our larger projects. Even Greenville Magazine does this once in awhile - and I am not a big fan of that publication anymore. GSABusiness Journal is great for the business side of news, although it is published only once every two weeks and usually comes out with old news. Greenville Journal is as good as it gets right now, and we can thank John Boyanoski for that. Good writers find out what their readers want to know, then write it for them. That said, The Beat and Link seem to be effective tools around town, especially in regards to upcoming events. :shades:

Good to see some replies- I also read The Link, I think many people see them and The Beat as competitors but The Beat's focus is so obviously different, the only thing really in common is the entertainment calendars and their size.. I came here from Charlotte where Creative Loafing was the big thing, and apparently The Beat used to be CL way back when before it was the MetroBeat. I really value the alternative newsweekly idea and the goal of providing the average guy with "alternatives" to whatever else is out there- particularly in arts and entertainment. Showing you a way to experience Greenville outside the mainstream- that is what makes Greenville feel "cool" to me. The articles also teach me things about the Upstate I would never have known otherwise. Got me interested enough in the area to do some research and find this forum!

I've rarely ever found anything of value in the Link. There is so much fluff in that publication that you could stuff a pillow with it.

They have covered several stories I haven't seen in other publications though, and they do a nice job of getting out into the immediate community for feedback. Somehow, I like that. :whistling:

...I think many people see them and The Beat as competitors but The Beat's focus is so obviously different, the only thing really in common is the entertainment calendars and their size...

Ah - if only this were the case. However, Gannett does not see it this way. Gannett has set up deals with local merchants so that they (Gannett) would pay the businesses a monthly amount to carry their free publications. The catch is that the businesses can only carry those free publications authorized by Gannett. This does not include The Beat or several other weeklies.

Gannett has offered to make The Beat part of the package it offers, but at such a huge cost that it would be unreasonable for the Beat from a business standpoint. The obvious intent is to push out ANY publication that does not bring income in some way or fashion to Gannett.

Some places, such as Horizon Records, have declined Gannett's "offer" and carry both The Beat and The Link. I applaud those places, and wish that more would do this. However, I understand the financial enticements of Gannett's offer to most businesses. Plus it keeps their places of business nice and neat with those green pigeonhole boxes they provide.

I really value the alternative newsweekly idea and the goal of providing the average guy with "alternatives" to whatever else is out there- particularly in arts and entertainment. Showing you a way to experience Greenville outside the mainstream- that is what makes Greenville feel "cool" to me. The articles also teach me things about the Upstate I would never have known otherwise. Got me interested enough in the area to do some research and find this forum!

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, Gannett doesn't quite grasp the concept of "alternative." Even if it is in a nifty wrapper, the Link's content is still going to be bound by publication guidelines set forth by Gannett and the Greenville News. That's not a true alternative.

This was really driven home on a visit to Henry's Smokehouse. We often stop by before Furman games to get BBQ for tailgates. While waiting, I would pick up a copy of Leonard's Losers. I guess it was last year when I noticed that they no longer had Leonard's Losers. Instead, they now offered the Gannett publications, which didn't include Leonard's Losers.

I'm a huge a fan of The Beat. I welcome that particular voice in Greenville for the balance it brings to the community at large. (I don't see The Beat and Link as competitors, either.)

I've also contributed (once), but met James Shannon in person only this summer, at Drinking Liberally. I also met another lady at DL who's contributed content to The Beat in the past. I'd love to sit James down in a corner for an entire weekend and listen to him dish about local and state politics (and other issues). He's a natural storyteller, very humorous and engaging in person.

The Beat just went to a weekly format (as of 9/19/06) and Roxanne Walker has been rehired (or whatever their arrangement was/is, she's back).

(Edited to link to Roxanne Walker's website)

• 4 months later...

I guess I am one of the "few" standing in a different position, as I actually enjoy Upstate LINK. Sure, it isn't completely loaded with the urban news and information that we love here, but it has plenty of local flavor, including great lists of upcoming events, movie reviews, etc. The Beat is an excellent alternative weekly, with long articles for those interested in more depth (like myself). I view it in a totally different light, as it does not compete with LINK or Greenville Journal in most of its elements. I find it interesting that so many of you would like to either see all publications target the exact same issues, or trim away the ones you don't care about. I on the other hand find multiple weekly publications with different elements enjoyable. I even enjoy The Beat's articles bashing Greenville Journal's opinion editorials. It gives me a look at a couple of the opposing perspectives in this community. :shades:

I guess I am one of the "few" standing in a different position, as I actually enjoy Upstate LINK. Sure, it isn't completely loaded with the urban news and information that we love here, but it has plenty of local flavor, including great lists of upcoming events, movie reviews, etc. The Beat is an excellent alternative weekly, with long articles for those interested in more depth (like myself). I view it in a totally different light, as it does not compete with LINK or Greenville Journal in most of its elements. I find it interesting that so many of you would like to either see all publications target the exact same issues, or trim away the ones you don't care about. I on the other hand find multiple weekly publications with different elements enjoyable. I even enjoy The Beat's articles bashing Greenville Journal's opinion editorials. It gives me a look at a couple of the opposing perspectives in this community. :shades:

The best free newspaper I have seen is the Mountain Xpress in Asheville. Really wish we had something like that down here, or even distribution of it here (with more Greenville inclusion). There are a few ads for Greenville businesses in it, but it is mostly targeted for the Asheville area.

The best free newspaper I have seen is the Mountain Xpress in Asheville. Really wish we had something like that down here, or even distribution of it here (with more Greenville inclusion). There are a few ads for Greenville businesses in it, but it is mostly targeted for the Asheville area.

Archived