Two City Plaza

richyb83

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice drive by shot Dan! It's good to see II City Plaza moving along with the cranes now visible! :thumbsup: Wonder why we haven't seen the cranes for the new Courthouse yet?? The site would been seen from this view on the left side in front of the Governmental Building.

Maybe the new Courthouse can't locate the tower cranes because China,Dubai and Miami have all of them?? :lol:<_<

Nice drive by shot Dan! It's good to see II City Plaza moving along with the cranes now visible! :thumbsup: Wonder why we haven't seen the cranes for the new Courthouse yet?? The site would been seen from this view on the left side in front of the Governmental Building.

Maybe the new Courthouse can't locate the tower cranes because China,Dubai and Miami have all of them?? :lol:<_<

Yeah Dubai has them all for that massive building they are building. LOL

You can get tower cranes here fairly cheaply. I would be surprised if there was only one tower crane for CPII. Yall keep your eyes peeled to see if it is a steel structure or concrete. If it's a steel structure, it will come up faster. If it's concrete, it might take a little longer. Given that picture, the tower crane has a big reach. I think that if they are setting up on the north side of the building, they shouldn't have a problem with only one tower crane.

There should be one crawler crane for site work. This may or may not be on site by now. If they have been building it for two months, then they should getting done with the crawler crane and onto the tower crane. I'd bet about 10-15 work days per floor if it's concrete given the size of the footprint....then the structural company moves off site and the other trades move on. The first two or three floors are probably more involving than the upper levels, so it should take a while longer for them.

I think we will be surprised at how fast the structure portion will be up. It's the rest of the building that will take forever (curtain walls, interior, windows, and that fancy granite).

BTY: most of those tower cranes in Dubai are built and designed in the USA. Doesn't that make anyone proud?

Here's a pic I managed to get yesterday.

18zk5.jpg

Dude...careful with those shots. That's a hairy piece of road right there.

Seriously, I think we should boycott shots taken from the freeway. I don't want to encourage anyone to become roadkill.

Dude...careful with those shots. That's a hairy piece of road right there.

Seriously, I think we should boycott shots taken from the freeway. I don't want to encourage anyone to become roadkill.

I was riding in the back seat with my parents up front. :) Don't worry, when I finally do drive the freeway, pictures will be the last thing I'm thinkin' about. :lol:

I was riding in the back seat with my parents up front. :) Don't worry, when I finally do drive the freeway, pictures will be the last thing I'm thinkin' about. :lol:

Wait, how old are you dan? I always forget that we have young people on here. LOL I forget that there are some youngsters that like the development also.LOL

Thanks so much for the updated pics LT! I appreciate that. Great to see II City Plaza moving quickly.

As far as the new Courthouse is concerned ....There was a story in Metro section of this mornings paper. I'll try to post it. Basically there was some serious fiber-optic wires beneath the ground they did not know about that caused this delay; it's being taken care of. You should see the crane back soon.

Also there are cranes on opposite ends of downtown 1) now at the site for the tall parking garage for the Belle of BR; and the parking garage off River Road at the CapitolVisitors Center near the new proposed Ampitheatre.

Downtown development is gaining momentum once again!

• 1 month later...

Im replying to southeastbr's post in the "photo of the day" forum

"Y'all, check out the virtual tour on Wampold's site. It look's like they are going with the original 17 story design!!!"

While I would love to believe they have reverted back to the original design, I highly doubt it. When looking at the Two City Plaza website, all of the renderings are of the new design. Also, the floor plans looks like they represent the new design too. Plus, if you read the rest of the website, they all say it will be a 12 story building. Im assumeing that some intern at WHL started working on that virtual tour before they changed the design, and because of the amount of work that goes into creating those vidoes, it was easier, and cheaper to put the "outdated" video on the website. (But, lets hope im wrong, lol.) On a more positive note though, if you explore the website, you will find some great airel views of downtown BR.

Thanks for revving this thread up again! Nice aerial photo's; some of the 1st pics look like there from the old 17-story design bec. it towers over the big new Galvez State Bldg; But some of the aerials look like the more recent design of 12.

>>>>What's up the Virtual Tour?? I don't understand WHY it won't let me see it????? <_< That sucks!!!

The original II City Plaza was to be 14-stories with vaulted penthouse level; then the 17-story tower (12-stories of office on top of 5-story parking). When construction co$t went thru-the-roof they decided to put parking deck on the Fifth Street side instead; going with this 12-story building we see now.

I want to know what's up with the confusion?? Why does DDD's website say 13-stories??

How tall (including spire extra 40 feet tall?) will II City Plaza be?? 160 ft tall + spire = 200ft?? If they had kept the 17-story design?? How much taller would it have been by putting parking under the tower?? Fairly significant.

Thanks Buckett! Nice animation in the Virtual Tour! My how things have changed since then. Wish II City Plaza was still 17 floors...the trade off will be the increase in # of floors for the new Courthouse. The Virtual Tour has II City Plaza towering above the new Courthouse's old 9-story rendering. Now BOTH will virtually be the same height at 12-floors. Still really neat stuff to see :thumbsup:

The mystery continue's.....Here's the article in the February edition of the 225 Magazine. Why does it say 14 stories?? Downtown Development District says 13-stories; Wampold himself said 12-stories. Has the # of floors changed since I last spoke to him?? Can anybody get this thing right??

I can only wish they had combined the original 8-story building(built in 83') with the II City Plaza original 14-stories over a 7-story parking garage over street-level retail. The grantite structure of City Plaza gives it a look that it could have easily been much taller. 30-stories would have been nice.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/news/2008/jan/31/whats/

II City Plaza is a sleek, 14-story structure with 270,000 square feet. The construction crew is treading lightly to avoid incidental damage to delicate stained-glass windows at nearby St. James Episcopal Church.

^I wish!

Actually had the chance to talk to some construction workers yesterday; they said II City Plaza was going to be 13-stories. Do they know that for sure?? I wondered by their facial expression. What kind of building goes up 13 floors?? Shouldn't it be 12 or 14?? Next door at the new Courthouse the construction worker said 12.

The 225 Magazine replied back to me and said; "According to the property manager, it is a 14-story structure".

II City Plaza going-up fast! :camera:

feb08029vr5.jpg

The Fourth Street side.

feb08031rn9.jpg

Looking west on Convention Street

feb08007bn0.jpg

From the Fifth Street side where the parking garage will be.

feb08006qa8.jpg

I only wish the office tower would have gone on top of the parking structure.

• 3 weeks later...

POWFeb26_t240.jpg

"II City Plaza, the first private office building built in downtown Baton Rouge in nearly 25 years, is starting to take shape. The 260,000 square foot building, set to open by the end of the year, will be the new home for Regions Bank and Phelps Dunbar. The Wampold Companies is developing II City Plaza, while the Lemoine Company is the contractor and Michael W. Hill is the architect."

Archived