Two City Plaza

richyb83

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they(BR Business) forget about the spire.

"II City Plaza topped off

The II City Plaza office building was topped off Wednesday, as workers and developers marked completing the highest point of the 12-story structure. The Wampold Companies, which is developing the building, gave a free lunch and door prizes to the 350 workers who are building II City Plaza. Ted Terrell, vice president of development, says the lunch was to show appreciation for the work that has been completed. The building may have reached its highest point and the parking garage next door is set to open soon, but Terrell says the number of workers will remain at about the same level until early next year. "We're going to be rotating people in to work on different things, and Regions and Phelps Dunbar will bring in people to finish out their offices." II City Plaza is set to open Dec. 31. "We're on schedule and over budget," says developer Mike Wampold."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree II City Plaza doesn't look that tall; but the rendering posted above is coming from a different angle(than pics I took) giving it the illusion of being taller than it really is. Maybe when the mechanical floor is finished it might help even-out the rendering more?? :rolleyes:

Are floors to office buildings that are built "now" still as tall as the offices that were built back in the 80's??? I have always wondered? Has the standard been 11 1/2' ft. per floor?? I guess II CP looks close in height as the old 12-story bldg. on Third Street built back in the 20's.

Looks like II City Plaza height/size is roughly the same as the new "state bldg"(La Salle)??

Many months back someone sent a website link with an animation of II City Plaza(back when the 12-story tower was to go over the 5-story parking) towering above the 9-story new Courthouse. Since then II CP was chopped more than 1/4; and they new Courthouse decided to expand to 12 stories. Being a "civic" bldg. at 16' ft. per floor the new Courthouse will be taller than II CP! And quite a bit larger as well.

Still when walking on Convention Street on the sidewalk across the street(level)at St.James church II City Plaza has a commanding presence; surely better than the surface parking lot that had been there. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish they would have made it 14 floors, because from the Port Allen levee you can barely see it from behind the Hilton. But I'm happy to see it built! And Downtown will have, along with the new Courthouse, a more filled in appearance when driving into Downtown from I-10.

Me too! For years I looked forward to seeing the original tower at 14-stories;esp. with the cool-looking vaulted penthouse! :shades: Then they decided to chop-off 2-floors and put it above 4-story parking making it 16!!! That was really going to be nice! But then escalating construction cost/$ticker $hock they decided just on the 12 instead. I like how close in proximity the new Courthouse will be to II City Plaza.

I can only imagine the impact it would have had if they kept the orginal 14-floors and added that to the top of the parking garage. Then II City Plaza could have been roughly on the same scale as the Chase Towers.

This is the original w/ cool penthouse; this rendering looks more"stretched" than I remember. :dontknow:

iicprenderaa4.jpg

This was the 2nd plan; the rendering on the right is nothing special; but check out the more accurate elevation drawing(left) :shades: that includes the office tower on top of the parking; that would have made a BIG differnce in the height! The penthouse floor looks "extra" tall too. This would have put II City Plaza above the tree-line. Oh well the skyline needed more density on that end; this is a good start!

riverfrontje2.png

We need preis to build Riverplace. Those 4 tower's defined BR's skyline for so many years.Downtown will never truly be changed until they build at least 2 twenty story towers or higher. But I think it would be better to add the two proposed hotels for the River Center together,with 400 rooms, it could be a real eye-catcher.

I could not agree more, well said southeastBR! The shorter high-rises have done(doing) a good job of adding density; but not since the late 80's has anything over 20-stories been built. It's time for something striking for the BR skyline.

Thats what I said on the other thread. :thumbsup: If they do decide to build a convention center-style hotel for the River Center; it needs to have a "Wow Factor"! It needs to become BR's "Tallest" Hotel; taller than the 22-story Marriott at College/I-10 about 4 miles away. It also needs to be well lighted at night; better than the Sheraton's lighting for sure!

As for RiverPlace I have put that way in the back of my mind; if it happens?? Great; I'll be happy for the suprise! I commend Preis for his vision; I would rather wait for a true "vertical neighborhood" at 30-stories; than some 12 to 16-story run-of-the mill development that would be easier to pull off and some would just rather settle for.

Though the Shaw Center for the Arts is not very tall; it makes a nice impact on the night-time skyline the way it illuminates along the river. I also think everything you see built from-now-on will be excellent/improved lighting(much better than the poorly lit One American Place & Chase Towers). Can't wait to see how II City Plaza & new Courthouse will look at lit-up at night!! :shades: The Gateway Brothers (Iberville & Beinville) state buildings look nice at night!

• 2 months later...

Nearing completion in December; being more "hortizontal" than vertical; this is a good sized building along Convention Street. I only hope more surface parking (like that was for so long) along the Fourth Street corridor will fill-up with some high-rise/mid-rise projects!

102008023km2.jpg

Nearing completion in December; being more "hortizontal" than vertical; this is a good sized building along Convention Street. I only hope more surface parking (like that was for so long) along the Fourth Street corridor will fill-up with some high-rise/mid-rise projects!

102008023km2.jpg

wow. it looks nice. T4p!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived