New Entertainment District

richyb83

Planning is underway to work-out the details on a proposed entertainment district. It will be submitted to the City Planning Commission as an overlay district.(overlay??)

Extended hours, security, destinctive signage, and alcohol are some of the key issues.

Outdoor dining already exist along the Third Street corridor.

The Shaw Arts Center and the newly renovated Hilton Capital Center would be a part of the district.

As of now the district boundries have not been set.

This process is expected to take months.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/4357631.html

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is very important for baton rouge tourism, and downtown visitors.

They need to go all out and make the district look and feel like soemthing special.

They need to attract at least 3 or 4 national restaurants to the area.... like chillis, on the border TGIF, and a copelands would be real nice

this is very important for baton rouge tourism, and downtown visitors.

They need to go all out and make the district look and feel like soemthing special.

They need to attract at least 3 or 4 national restaurants to the area.... like chillis, on the border TGIF, and a copelands would be real nice

I doubt they'll get a TGI Friday's. I don't understand what that chain has against this state, but they once had restaurants in many cities in Louisiana, including Shreveport. The most recent TGI Friday's in Louisiana was in Metairie, I believe, and even it is no more. There aren't any in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, or New Orleans... or anywhere else in the state. And why? I like their food and would visit often if they'd come back to my region.

I doubt they'll get a TGI Friday's. I don't understand what that chain has against this state, but they once had restaurants in many cities in Louisiana, including Shreveport. The most recent TGI Friday's in Louisiana was in Metairie, I believe, and even it is no more. There aren't any in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, or New Orleans... or anywhere else in the state. And why? I like their food and would visit often if they'd come back to my region.

Don't hold it against them...it's probably a local franchiser who went bust.

They do seem to be on a building spree right now, so there's hope! :D The TGI Friday's in downtown Memphis works nicely in the urban core.

Don't hold it against them...it's probably a local franchiser who went bust.

They do seem to be on a building spree right now, so there's hope! :D The TGI Friday's in downtown Memphis works nicely in the urban core.

I wanted a TGI Friday's in the Boardwalk, and it would have fit in quite nicely. But I can't complain because we got some great restaurant chains down there.

However I do hope someone will once again open some locations in Louisiana... this is a great state and we love our food! :D But let's not stop with just one city. We need them in metro New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport, Lake Charles, Alexandria, and Monroe! They could very EASILY do well in any of the cities listed.

I wanted a TGI Friday's in the Boardwalk, and it would have fit in quite nicely. But I can't complain because we got some great restaurant chains down there.

However I do hope someone will once again open some locations in Louisiana... this is a great state and we love our food! :D But let's not stop with just one city. We need them in metro New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport, Lake Charles, Alexandria, and Monroe! They could very EASILY do well in any of the cities listed.

TGI Fridays would fit nice at the Boardwalk

I would LOVE to see a Dave and Busters or Jillians on Third Street.

On the subject of TGI Friday's, there may be hope for Louisiana afterall! In my typical inquisitive fashion, I decided to scour Google's cached records to see what I could find and here's something that caught my eye.

Click the link below and scroll until you see 'LA - Shreveport':

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:CKNldE...lient=firefox-a

:D Apparently this ad was posted as recently as August 12!

FYI: the above link may only work for Firefox. If it doesn't work for Internet Explorer, I can try and get that fixed.

I just figured this would be a great thing to share since I was just talking about Friday's ditching Louisiana altogether!

On the subject of TGI Friday's, there may be hope for Louisiana afterall! In my typical inquisitive fashion, I decided to scour Google's cached records to see what I could find and here's something that caught my eye.

Click the link below and scroll until you see 'LA - Shreveport':

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:CKNldE...lient=firefox-a

:D Apparently this ad was posted as recently as August 12!

FYI: the above link may only work for Firefox. If it doesn't work for Internet Explorer, I can try and get that fixed.

I just figured this would be a great thing to share since I was just talking about Friday's ditching Louisiana altogether!

lol...that's too funny! Cool! I hope it happens!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys, sorry to hijack your thread with something non-Baton Rouge related, but I wanted to come here and gloat about my detective work for a minute! :lol:

Rardy, I was talking about TGI Friday's in this thread, how I saw they were hiring management for the Shreveport market. And today we've been abuzz talking about possible new chains adding to the mix in southeast Shreveport, and guess who is the first to be announced? It's official... Friday's is coming back to Shreveport after about 2 decades' absence.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS01/61103028

No problem, that's good news Brian. Gloat all you want, you got a nose for new development around the SBC area. I find myself doing the same thing. Good minds think alike..ADHD ;) I tend to bring-up BR in Shreveport thread anyway. They are cities about the same size and usually what's good for one is good for the other. SE Shreveport is on the move; I'd like to see the Regal Court site plan. Sounds impressive.

No problem, that's good news Brian. Gloat all you want, you got a nose for new development around the SBC area. I find myself doing the same thing. Good minds think alike..ADHD ;) I tend to bring-up BR in Shreveport thread anyway. They are cities about the same size and usually what's good for one is good for the other. SE Shreveport is on the move; I'd like to see the Regal Court site plan. Sounds impressive.

Thanks, Richy! I've also noticed when talking about other cities, it's easy to use your own city as a comparison... sometimes good, sometimes bad. But I do it all the time myself, even when I tell myself I'm NOT going to do it. :lol:

Anyway I did have a site plan I'd posted in the SBC forum a while back, but I found that post and it appears I'd had it as an attachment and have since deleted it. :( I'm actively scouring the internet and my computer to find it again, IF I've still got it anywhere!

Rardy, I was talking about TGI Friday's in this thread, how I saw they were hiring management for the Shreveport market. And today we've been abuzz talking about possible new chains adding to the mix in southeast Shreveport, and guess who is the first to be announced? It's official... Friday's is coming back to Shreveport after about 2 decades' absence.

Lol! :D You'd better be the FIRST in line the day it opens, as much as you've been salivating over it!

Yeah...sorry BR. This is the Baton Rouge forum, not SBC or MEM. :P

No problem, I am glad to have yall visiting the BR Forum from both of those two fine cities/(metro's)

No TGI Friday's here. -_-

Have any of yall ever been to a Dave & Buster's ?? How was it ? I have never been to one, but heard about the one in Atlanta. It seems to me a great possible choice for the emerging entertainment district in downtown BR. Near all the other attractions.....or a mini-cinema/small bowling alley inside the floor levels of a big-parking gargage, with offices on top, and possibly condo's on top??

No problem, I am glad to have yall visiting the BR Forum from both of those two fine cities/(metro's)

Have any of yall ever been to a Dave & Buster's ?? How was it ? I have never been to one, but heard about the one in Atlanta. It seems to me a great possible choice for the emerging entertainment district in downtown BR. Near all the other attractions.....or a mini-cinema/small bowling alley inside the floor levels of a big-parking gargage, with offices on top, and possibly condo's on top??

Dave & Buster's is AWESOME!!

I'd say you never know, because I know Shreveport's economic development director has been in talks with them. If we could lure them, no doubt you guys could.

Never been to a Dave & Bruster's, but Memphis got a Jillian's a while back downtown at Peabody Place and it's super cool. That would be an awesome addition to downtown BR!

Never been to a Dave & Bruster's, but Memphis got a Jillian's a while back downtown at Peabody Place and it's super cool. That would be an awesome addition to downtown BR!

Jillian's and Dave & Buster's are basically the same type of place. They have a Jillian's in Champaign, IL and I've been to it... it's very cool. I prefer Dave & Buster's, but Jillian's is cool too.

That's what I want on Third St. Corner of Florida and Third to be exact. Get rid of that parking lot and build it similiar to the Jillians in downtown Memphis. (multi levels).

I've been to Dave and Busters in several cities, (Houston, St. Louis and San Diego) and they get a big thumbs up from me. Good food and a nice bar. Reminds me of an adult version of chuck e cheese. The 20-40 crowd would enjoy DandB or Jillian's.

I've been to Dave and Busters in several cities, (Houston, St. Louis and San Diego) and they get a big thumbs up from me. Good food and a nice bar. Reminds me of an adult version of chuck e cheese. The 20-40 crowd would enjoy DandB or Jillian's.

My thoughts exactly... like an adult Chuck E Cheese! That's how I always describe the place too! :)

• 1 month later...

They have added the term "Arts" to the Entertainment District.

A commitee created to draw up a downtown arts and entertainment district looked at ways to make it safe, clean and well marketed; they will submit a proposal in early 07'. The district would surround Third Street, which only in recent years regained some of the activity that made it the hub of downtown decades ago.

The boundries for the proposed district is Main Street to the north and North Blvd to the southern-edge.

The eastern edge will run parallel between Third Street and Fourth Street.

Shaw Arts Center and new Hilton are in the district.

aedistrictnk7.png

Pardon the smaller sized map; just messin' around with google paint.

• 6 months later...

Arts & Entertainment District proposal being drafted

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/8082717.html

What is included in the overlay district "so far" includes:

The committee has agreed that the boundaries of the district would be North Boulevard, including the planned Galvez Plaza, the Mississippi River, Main Street and midway between Third and Fourth streets.

The district would call for pedestrian-scale street lighting and lighting in storefronts that illuminates the street.

*Tinted glass would not be allowed.

*Storefronts would be required to have awnings and would be encouraged to incorporate usable open space and outdoor dining areas, public art and furniture.

*Newspaper stands would not be allowed within the public right of way.

*All intersections would require crosswalks with pedestrian-activated signals.

*Surface parking lots would be required to have a wall around them between 3

Arts & Entertainment District proposal being drafted

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/8082717.html

What is included in the overlay district "so far" includes:

The committee has agreed that the boundaries of the district would be North Boulevard, including the planned Galvez Plaza, the Mississippi River, Main Street and midway between Third and Fourth streets.

The district would call for pedestrian-scale street lighting and lighting in storefronts that illuminates the street.

*Tinted glass would not be allowed.

*Storefronts would be required to have awnings and would be encouraged to incorporate usable open space and outdoor dining areas, public art and furniture.

*Newspaper stands would not be allowed within the public right of way.

*All intersections would require crosswalks with pedestrian-activated signals.

*Surface parking lots would be required to have a wall around them between 3

Archived