New Entertainment District

richyb83

There weren't state offices, new apartments and condos, a relatively lively 3rd street, and family friendly events held downtown long ago. There wasn't even a single hotel. Downtown can support a small CVS, however they won't show interest quite yet.

Capitalism is a wonderful thing. If CVS or Walgreens thought they could make money there they will build a store. They haven't yet. That speaks for itself.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw CVS. I'd never shop there.

I'm fed up with their treatment of historical properties. They just demolish and throw up one of their aweful stores.

Maybe an indie grocer or a pharmacy. I hope a CVS doesn't come.

Screw CVS. I'd never shop there.

I'm fed up with their treatment of historical properties. They just demolish and throw up one of their aweful stores.

Maybe an indie grocer or a pharmacy. I hope a CVS doesn't come.

Way off topic, eh?

A indie grocer is the best the area can support down there.

• 6 months later...

Meant to post in this thread...instead of posting in the top-heavy Plan BR thread the other day

imgSpacer.gif

DowntownGroceryreminder1.jpg

DowntownGroceryreminder2.jpg

DowntownGroceryreminder3.jpg

imgSpacer.gif

I stopped by there yesterday to pick up some beer and was pleasantly surprised by what they had in stock. But in all honesty, it is still just a convenience store wrapped in a "cuter" package. 

• 2 months later...

Glad to see this will finally get off the ground soon! Like the rendering with part of the Hilton Capitol House in the background :shades:

Business Report Real Estate Property of the Week

AR-130719875.jpg

Developers are planning to break ground in the next 90 to 100 days on Lafayette House, a 16-unit project at 342 Lafayette St. The designer is DNA Workshop, the general contractor is Buquet & LeBlanc Inc., and the developer is Weinstein Nelson Developers. Completion is expected by the end of next year.

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113#ixzz2ZEo7iCUd

• 2 months later...

Finally.....

*Rendering in Above Post ^

Developers drop condo concept for Lafayette House, switch to apartments

David Weinstein and Dyke Nelson's plans for the Lafayette House—a residential project in a historic downtown building at 342 Lafayette Street—are moving forward, with construction expected to begin during the fourth quarter. But there has been one significant change in the project since it was originally announced in 2012: The four-story, 16-unit building will be developed as multifamily apartments, not as condominiums as originally planned. Weinstein says the partners decided to do apartments because the current lending climate is so unfavorable for condos, a trend developers are seeing nationwide. "Lenders are very interested in doing apartments but not condos," Weinstein says. "It has to do with the [buyer's] financing of the [condo] units. They're having trouble getting financing." Three of the planned condos were already under contract when Nelson and Weinstein shifted gears. "We decided the project would be better served if we did it this way instead," he says. Buquet & LeBlanc Inc. has been selected as the general contractor on the renovation project, which is expected to take about nine months to complete.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

Smart move. They won't have trouble finding good tenants there.

These are sort of behind other buildings. It's an in fill on what would otherwise be an empty courtyard or parking area. I think it's a good thing. A friend of mine used to live adjacent to where this is going up.

This is the kind of development we need to see. This is more healthy than a giant empty tower absorbing all demand for a decade.

Smart move. They won't have trouble finding good tenants there.

These are sort of behind other buildings. It's an in fill on what would otherwise be an empty courtyard or parking area. I think it's a good thing. A friend of mine used to live adjacent to where this is going up.

This is the kind of development we need to see. This is more healthy than a giant empty tower absorbing all demand for a decade.

Yep. Also spreads it around downtown a tad, although, I'd like to see it spread around alot more than it is now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They did not waste much time demolishing the Onyx Bldg...was hoping they could keep the glass structure exterior/entrance...

*rendering shown in above post

March14066_zps3a3f8b99.jpg

Work being done for the future Raising Cane's...not sure what else is going into the space...

March14067_zpsa49efc2d.jpg

The Old Cap One Bldg about to get an extreme make-over....a.k.a. now as 440 on Third...this mixed-use bldg. will add a 9th floor on top of the 8-story structure..... 65-residential units along with a Matherne's Market on ground-floor.... and some office space...he 5th floor will have a pool & deck

March14059_zpseb221d82.jpg

Glad they are restoring the retro Coca Cola sign...nice piece of work!

They did not waste much time demolishing the Onyx Bldg...was hoping they could keep the glass structure exterior/entrance...

*rendering shown in above post

March14066_zps3a3f8b99.jpg

Work being done for the future Raising Cane's...not sure what else is going into the space...

March14067_zpsa49efc2d.jpg

The Old Cap One Bldg about to get an extreme make-over....a.k.a. now as 440 on Third...this mixed-use bldg. will add a 9th floor on top of the 8-story structure..... 65-residential units along with a Matherne's Market on ground-floor.... and some office space...he 5th floor will have a pool & deck

March14059_zpseb221d82.jpg

Here is the new website for 440 on Third...the additional 9th floor is going to be some sweet office space w view of the river! Should be completed by the end of the year...Chase Towers not shown in background on website rendering

http://www.440onthird.com/index.html

And the article in today's Business Report...right on time ;)

440 on Third on track to complete construction by end of year

The mixed-use development planned in the former Capital One Bank building—440 on Third—is fully under construction and on track for completion by the end of the year, says Dyke Nelson, who acquired the building last year. "We are pretty much done with the demolition and about to start construction of the interior portion of the apartments," Nelson says, adding that construction on Matherne's Supermarket, which will open on the first floor of the building in the fall, will begin soon. Nelson says the nine-story development is still looking for tenants for the remaining 40,000 square feet of commercial space on the second, eighth and ninth floors. He is willing to offer naming rights for the exterior of the building if he can find a single tenant to occupy a significant portion of the space—such as the top two floors—Nelson says. Renderings of the ninth floor, which offers office space with 360-degree views of the Mississippi River and surrounding downtown, are available on 440 on Third's newly unveiled website, which also includes renderings of apartment interiors, floor plans and the building's exterior. Residential space includes 65 modern, LEED-certified luxury apartments with access to a rooftop pool and deck on the fifth floor. Nelson says 440 on Third is starting to take reservations for apartments, adding that 10 people requested units before the website even went live. —Rachel Alexander

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=

Archived