New Entertainment District

richyb83

What's wrong with the Garden District?

Nothing's wrong, it just needs some sidewalk renovations, more sidewalks, more bike-lanes, and a few houses could use a face lift. I live in that general area of town and I notice little things like that. Some more landscaping would be nice too. Something similar to what the city is doing over in Spanish Town though not as much would be needed. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in the Garden District the sidewalks on most streets were pretty much unusable if you wanted to do any sort of running. I just used the street...didn't want to risk tripping on the sidewalk and losing a few teeth. 

Around the time I moved, the city was supposedly going to start repairing the sidewalk damages caused by trees on city right-of-way. Did that ever come to fruition? It was said we were out of luck if the damage was caused by trees on private property. 

What is the city doing over in Spanish Town?

And yes, the majority of sidewalks are the responsibility of the private property owner, so if you trip you know who to call! :thumbsup:

(Sorry everyone, UP never lets me quote or cut and paste, it hasn't for quite sometime, in case my replies lack context.)

When I lived in the Garden District the sidewalks on most streets were pretty much unusable if you wanted to do any sort of running. I just used the street...didn't want to risk tripping on the sidewalk and losing a few teeth. 

Around the time I moved, the city was supposedly going to start repairing the sidewalk damages caused by trees on city right-of-way. Did that ever come to fruition? It was said we were out of luck if the damage was caused by trees on private property. 

Yeah it's happening, slowly but surly. Especially in the Hundred Oaks/Catholic high schools area. 

My proposal over 5 years ago...a Lamar Digital billboard for the Third Street parking garage...Pardon the amateur Google sketch-up

When I talked with Lamar over the phone...they liked the idea & seemed all for it. But there was/is? an ordinance stating no billboards on poles in the core of downtown....This would have been DIFFERENT...the billboard would have been mounted on the side like a flat-screen TV on a wall. If the right strings were pulled with a few city-councilman,...i'm sure this could have been changed & worked!

Only thing is now; i'd change the billboard location the facing Third Street side instead of Convention St

feb08022_zps362d83e6.jpg

With the retro Coca Cola sign only a block away from the digital billboard..it could have created a "mini" Time Square feel for BR

March14067_zpsa49efc2d.jpg

• 4 months later...

A lot of redevelopment going on along Third Street....but still waiting for the Onyxx project to take off ; completing the Shaw Arts Block...it took no time to demolish this....however it's been over 4 months since taking the last picture; almost look like duplicates 

July14103_zpsc078161e.jpg

And still waiting on the Lafayette House development to take off...hopefully these projects start soon

July14110_zps97845e3d.jpg

That slump will stay until IBM is finished and there are more people living AND working downtown. That is when you will see a larger demand for shops, homes, schools, restaurants, and eventually more businesses. 

Right now Downtown has grown about all it could without seeing a major slump in the areas market or over-construction. While all of those apartments will eventually be full it will take a few years to get to that point. For some people that could end up being four years of vacancy. 

The two projects mentioned above....Lafayette House(9 units) & Onyxx residences(28-units) have still yet to begin....are much smaller...just wondering what's the hold up? Maybe i'm too impatient

True the IBM Block construction that is ongoing(off the picture a block to the left)...adding 85 residential units...the will no doubt add a spark!

Don't think there is really a "slump"...because other much larger projects...440 on Third(Old Cap One Bldg/left) & Commerce Bldg(right) will add nearly 160 residential units...the interiors are being renovated(hard to see in pic)...and the exterior improvements will be soon to follow

*pic taken a block away on Lafayette Street

July14109_zps9663e9aa.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally...Groundbreaking set for next week Sept 15th..they didn't waste anytime tearing down the building; did not realize the delay was bec of movie filming...nice final piece to the Shaw Arts Block!

*Rendering on Post #117/Previous page....this was mentioned last week on Plan BR thread...but could not locate rendering

Onyx groundbreaking scheduled in downtown Baton Rouge

A groundbreaking ceremony for the Onyx Residences apartment complex in downtown Baton Rouge will be held at 10 a.m. Sept. 15.

The ceremony will be at the corner of Third and Convention streets, the site of the 28-unit complex. The Onyx Residences will be made up of one- and two-bedroom apartments, over about 5,600 square feet of commercial space. The units will feature amenities such as high-speed Internet, stainless steel appliances and free DirectTV.

The property is set to open in fall 2015.

Commercial Properties Realty Trust is redeveloping the space. Work on the project started in October, but was put on hold for several months to accommodate filming of “The Fantastic Four” movie, which is set for release in June 2015.

http://theadvocate.com/news/10219786-123/onyx-groundbreaking-scheduled-in-downtown

I'm starting to sense a slow down...a bubble is popping.

I don't think it's a bubble so much as a shotgun response to market demand like you mentioned.

I think the IBM residential component and the other smaller projects are addressing that demand, and developers may shy away until that inventory is consumed. Matherne's and another thousand employees downtown every day at the new IBM building is going to change the market dynamic downtown for a long time.

Just be patient. If the economy in Louisiana continues to outperform the rest of the country, the IBM project will change everything as far as the residential market.

I honestly think that unless Baton Rouge lands a another big fish from out of town, the new construction downtown will be almost all hotel and residential in-fill. Obviously projects near third street have a much better chance of finding tenants. Maybe Baton Rouge and Louisiana has another trick up their sleeve and will pull off another high profile recruit like IBM in the near future.

Of course that could all change if the economy collapses like it did in the early 1980s. Anyone remember Catfish Town? All of these new projects for downtown Baton Rouge right before the oil industry collapsed. IBM, thankfully, is a great example of economic diversification. It will perform independently of the energy business.

As you can probably tell, I'm very excited about IBM. I have a lot of confidence that it will be the biggest change driver for downtown since the construction of the state office campus under the Foster administration.

These smaller residential projects are very important, getting as many people living downtown, over the widest area possible is going to help attract more retail. We've luckily been able to attract significant new business and another large project or two like IBM is key. The Water Campus will play a huge role here.

I don't think it's a bubble so much as a shotgun response to market demand like you mentioned.

I think the IBM residential component and the other smaller projects are addressing that demand, and developers may shy away until that inventory is consumed. Matherne's and another thousand employees downtown every day at the new IBM building is going to change the market dynamic downtown for a long time.

Just be patient. If the economy in Louisiana continues to outperform the rest of the country, the IBM project will change everything as far as the residential market.

I honestly think that unless Baton Rouge lands a another big fish from out of town, the new construction downtown will be almost all hotel and residential in-fill. Obviously projects near third street have a much better chance of finding tenants. Maybe Baton Rouge and Louisiana has another trick up their sleeve and will pull off another high profile recruit like IBM in the near future.

Of course that could all change if the economy collapses like it did in the early 1980s. Anyone remember Catfish Town? All of these new projects for downtown Baton Rouge right before the oil industry collapsed. IBM, thankfully, is a great example of economic diversification. It will perform independently of the energy business.

As you can probably tell, I'm very excited about IBM. I have a lot of confidence that it will be the biggest change driver for downtown since the construction of the state office campus under the Foster administration.

Getting IBM was key in diversifying the Louisiana economy, but with America becoming more independent oil wise I can see oil playing a huge roll in keeping the cities economy up. 

But like you said, Baton Rouge needs to get a few more big fishes from out of town, but they need to make sure it is not all tech or oil. 

• 7 months later...

forest20city20theater600.jpg?w=510

^Compliments of Greg225 in the Plan BR thread.... :thumbsup: Really like that look!!

Make that a multi-level entertainment venue complete with Cinema (ADD some Bowling lanes)....could work well along the Laurel Street block parking lot btwn Lafayette & Third St. across the street from the new redevelopment projects(Commerce Bldg./440 on Third w new Grocery market).... (YELLOW/top box)...

The (ORANGE/Bottom box) might be too tightly wedged btwn the Blue's Box & Hotel Indigo...on surface parking lot/Brick shell(Jumonville warehouse) the mayor was embarrassed about & hid w blue tarp when big convention visited...across from Hilton Capitol House

Entertainment%20District_zpsytbivz7t.jpg

Archived