Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tennesseestorm

Fall foliage color in your southern city ?

39 posts in this topic

I know that some areas in the "deep south" and along the coastal areas from NC to TX have very little if any fall colors, but many areas in the upper and mid south do. We all have links to the "supposed" changes as the season progresses, but I thought it would be neat again if we kept updating of changes in our areas (those that have changes)..... Post photos if you can of trees in your area and date when it was taken.

I live in extreme northeast Tennessee (around 1500 ft. elevation) and we are still in the "low color" range. I would say that 15% of the trees overall are now showing color changes. The other 85% are still totally green.

Below is how they looked at my house on 10-5-06.... updated photos tomorrow.

post-9639-1160544876_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544934_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544876_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544934_thumb.jpg

Arkansas has generally attractive foliage once you get out of the delta from Little Rock west into the Ouachitas and NW into the Ozarks.

Little Rock:

littlerock_006_l.jpg

pinnacle_009_l.jpg

lr_walking_001_l.jpg

Fayetteville (Ozarks):

ua_oldmain_002_l.jpg

Hot Springs (Ouachita Mountains):

hs_wallpaper_800_mtntower2.jpg

hotsprings_021_l.jpg

Ouachitas:

mtmagazine_001_l.jpg

mtmagazine_24_l.jpg

Ozarks:

ozarks_fallingwtrfalls_001_l.jpg

horseshoe_canyon_001_l.jpg

untitled_pedestalrocks_001_l.jpg

Great photos from both of you--Tenn and Ark are pretty states in the Fall. I don't think our leaves start changing this far south until about Thanksgiving..... :(

Great thread idea! Im headed up to the mountains and Charlottesville this weekend for some apple picking, Ill have the camera handy.

Very nice photos! I would imagine that after the very chilly temperatures tonight in the southeast (with the only exception being the very deep south), there may be more colors to report soon. Frost advisories as far south as northern Mississippi. Its COLD! 30s here tonight... coldest night of the season so far.... coldest we have been since March as as matter of fact.

We already have some nice fall colors here in the upstate area of SC although it will be a few weeks before it gets into full swing.

I'm seeing a little bit of color in the trees here, but nothing major. Our Autums aren't as beautiful as those of central to northern Arkansas, but I can't wait until our trees peak anyway.

Things are coming along nicely here. But I'm still waiting a little longer for peak conditions. I haven't managed to get any shots of some Fayetteville buildings with some of the nice foliage but here's a shot I took the past weekend. Fayetteville really has some nice foliage even for the Ozarks.

wilsonfoliage03iq7.jpg

wilsonfoliage01jp9.jpg

Things are coming along nicely here. But I'm still waiting a little longer for peak conditions. I haven't managed to get any shots of some Fayetteville buildings with some of the nice foliage but here's a shot I took the past weekend. Fayetteville really has some nice foliage even for the Ozarks.

wilsonfoliage03iq7.jpg

wilsonfoliage01jp9.jpg

Very nice photographs.... keep them coming!

It's not quite peak time but I took this shot this past weekend at a theme park near Richmond called Kings Dominion. The trees are really just beginning to turn.

DSC03240.jpg

Greenville, South Carolina isn't looking quite as green as it typically does:

277894689_2e0f216277_b.jpg

275605233_136ee25605_b.jpg

275291751_77f3b2b014_b.jpg

Great photos.... keep them coming. We are now at peak in extreme NE Tennessee. Photos tomorrow (hopefully).

Here's a shot of a small part of the Boston Mountains in Fayetteville, AR.

IMG_0342.jpg

Here's another pic from Fayetteville. Old Main on the University of Arkansas campus.

oldmain01lq3.jpg

We're on the border of what's known here as the Piney Woods, so we have quite a few evergreens, but we're getting some color. Some of the ones here like the Redbud and Sassafrass are turning red, while others like some of the oak and Sweetgum Maple are starting to turn yellow. Mostly, though, it's still green, as we haven't had a day's high below 60 yet. In fact, it was probably low 70's today. I'd estimate also that it's about 85% green and 15% color.

I don't know if we have a lot of color here (certainly not compared to the Northeast), but it's sure a lot more than Cali ever had!! Fall here is very pretty.

Here's a few more from Fayetteville. This time from Mt Sequoyah except for the first one. In the last pic you can see the southern part of the University of Arkansas campus.

fay01yg2.jpg

mtsequoyah01fd1.jpg

mtsequoyah02nu5.jpg

mtsequoyahuofadt0.jpg

Went out hiking today in the Ozarks. Looks like we're at peak, a few area looked a little past peak. The first pic is of Hawskbill Crag not too far from Boxley Valley area of the Buffalo Natl River.

hawksbillcrag02tk8.jpg

The second pic is of the Buffalo Natl River near the Steel Creek access. Not a huge amount of color here, lots of cedars.

buffaloriversteelcreek0rr7.jpg

And a couple of pics from Round Top Mtn just south of Jasper off of Scenic Highway 7. In fact you can see both in the last pic.

roundtopmtn01dr2.jpg

roundtopmtn02bu2.jpg

Just a few more random pics to show off some of our colors here in the Ozarks.

hawksbillcrag03zx5.jpg

hawksbillcrag04dv6.jpg

hawksbillcrag07ww6.jpg

hawksbillcrag06rf5.jpg

hawksbillcrag05rh7.jpg

cavemtnroad01yq4.jpg