Fall foliage color in your southern city ?

Tennesseestorm

I know that some areas in the "deep south" and along the coastal areas from NC to TX have very little if any fall colors, but many areas in the upper and mid south do. We all have links to the "supposed" changes as the season progresses, but I thought it would be neat again if we kept updating of changes in our areas (those that have changes)..... Post photos if you can of trees in your area and date when it was taken.

I live in extreme northeast Tennessee (around 1500 ft. elevation) and we are still in the "low color" range. I would say that 15% of the trees overall are now showing color changes. The other 85% are still totally green.

Below is how they looked at my house on 10-5-06.... updated photos tomorrow.

post-9639-1160544876_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544934_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544876_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1160544934_thumb.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice photos! I would imagine that after the very chilly temperatures tonight in the southeast (with the only exception being the very deep south), there may be more colors to report soon. Frost advisories as far south as northern Mississippi. Its COLD! 30s here tonight... coldest night of the season so far.... coldest we have been since March as as matter of fact.

Things are coming along nicely here. But I'm still waiting a little longer for peak conditions. I haven't managed to get any shots of some Fayetteville buildings with some of the nice foliage but here's a shot I took the past weekend. Fayetteville really has some nice foliage even for the Ozarks.

wilsonfoliage03iq7.jpg

wilsonfoliage01jp9.jpg

Things are coming along nicely here. But I'm still waiting a little longer for peak conditions. I haven't managed to get any shots of some Fayetteville buildings with some of the nice foliage but here's a shot I took the past weekend. Fayetteville really has some nice foliage even for the Ozarks.

wilsonfoliage03iq7.jpg

wilsonfoliage01jp9.jpg

We're on the border of what's known here as the Piney Woods, so we have quite a few evergreens, but we're getting some color. Some of the ones here like the Redbud and Sassafrass are turning red, while others like some of the oak and Sweetgum Maple are starting to turn yellow. Mostly, though, it's still green, as we haven't had a day's high below 60 yet. In fact, it was probably low 70's today. I'd estimate also that it's about 85% green and 15% color.

I don't know if we have a lot of color here (certainly not compared to the Northeast), but it's sure a lot more than Cali ever had!! Fall here is very pretty.

Went out hiking today in the Ozarks. Looks like we're at peak, a few area looked a little past peak. The first pic is of Hawskbill Crag not too far from Boxley Valley area of the Buffalo Natl River.

hawksbillcrag02tk8.jpg

The second pic is of the Buffalo Natl River near the Steel Creek access. Not a huge amount of color here, lots of cedars.

buffaloriversteelcreek0rr7.jpg

And a couple of pics from Round Top Mtn just south of Jasper off of Scenic Highway 7. In fact you can see both in the last pic.

roundtopmtn01dr2.jpg

roundtopmtn02bu2.jpg

Archived